• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sturrock's signings

Napster

No ⭐
I think Sturrock rightly has been lauded as one of, if not the, best manager in terms of recruitment. You could argue Webby signed some great yougsters; Tilly signed a few non-league gems; but with no money and an embargo, Sturrock not only signed a decent side, but, incredibly, five of the six players who made their debut in the same game, went on to make between them 725 appearances for the club. Two more, Hall and Cocko, made another 142 appearances.

And yet, you look at those eight players:

Chris Barker - joined us at 30, making his way down the leagues
Barry Corr - only scored 3 goals in the season before
Sean Clohessy - a bit part player for the Gills before playing at Salisbury City
Craig Easton - a journeyman midfielder
Mark Phillips - 28, making his way down the leagues like Barker
Luke Prosser -young, not part of Port Vale's plans, trialled with Barnet and Lincoln before coming here
Graham Coughlan - 35! but also reserve manager
Ryan Hall - another youngster, had one decent season at Bromley

They're a real mixed bag there. But who would have considered they would form the nucleus of the side for the next few seasons?

Luggy is well regarded by his ex players, as evidenced by some of the interviews Rylee and the Custard Splat guys have done through lockdown. I don’t think any other manager could’ve done what he did, he worked miracles. He didn’t always go for the most skilful players but believed in team spirit and loyalty. He knew character was needed and who he could trust in a battle. To compare MM is harsh .. but as MM and his work is unknown to me I’ll give him my backing and see what he can bring in (IF the embargo gets lifted which let’s hope happens to give the bloke the best possible chance).

Last edited:
I think Sturrock rightly has been lauded as one of, if not the, best manager in terms of recruitment. You could argue Webby signed some great yougsters; Tilly signed a few non-league gems; but with no money and an embargo, Sturrock not only signed a decent side, but, incredibly, five of the six players who made their debut in the same game, went on to make between them 725 appearances for the club. Two more, Hall and ****o, made another 142 appearances.

And yet, you look at those eight players:

Chris Barker - joined us at 30, making his way down the leagues
Barry Corr - only scored 3 goals in the season before
Sean Clohessy - a bit part player for the Gills before playing at Salisbury City
Craig Easton - a journeyman midfielder
Mark Phillips - 28, making his way down the leagues like Barker
Luke Prosser -young, not part of Port Vale's plans, trialled with Barnet and Lincoln before coming here
Graham Coughlan - 35! but also reserve manager
Ryan Hall - another youngster, had one decent season at Bromley

They're a real mixed bag there. But who would have considered they would form the nucleus of the side for the next few seasons?

Looking at them players now is making me moist.

This post is nothing to do Sturrock’s signings, but I just want to reinforce to all those supporters who have come aboard the Southend United rollercoaster ride since he left the club, just how important his tenure was for our club. Many will stay longer, some will ‘achieve’ more but none will save the club from footballing oblivion like he did.

Some people will say MM has a similar job on now, and I can see why, but I disagree. Sturrock had nothing and believe it or not the financial situation was a great deal more dire then that it is now.

I don’t really know how he did it. He might not be our greatest (though would deserve a place on the long list) but I think our most important.

He is also a ****ing great bloke.

The big difference was Luggy was able to sign proper L2 players in time for the start of the season. He still worked a miracle with them for us to finish comfortably in mid-table without ever really being in danger of relegation, but he didn’t have to do it with what is basically the youth team from a year or so back. That’s what MM is up against (as was Sol) The two situations are very different. If MM is not allowed to sign proper experienced L2/L1 pro’s soon we are in serious trouble. As last season proved you can’t give everyone a 20 point start & get away with it.

Weren't Mohsni and Timlin (albeit on loan to begin with) signed in the first season too?

Absolutely Yorkie, we was in a massively dire situation. I'm sure all he had was Anthony Grant to begin with ? mad ! Luggy will always be a legend, my god he got some characters in the team. I mean, i used to think Ryan Hall was a youngster, but compared to the kids in the team at the moment, he'd bully them off the ball.

The biggest betrayal from Ron was to let orangey Brown take that cup final away from Luggy. The one thing about having older guys in the team, was that they didnt have designs of grandeur, thinking they were gonna be the next best thing in a pair of boots.

During our chat with Mark Phillips, he alluded to the fact that Sturrock liked to sign players who had tasted success previously or who were hungry to prove themselves. He also put a great deal of trust in his players which at times I personally thought went against him but still a great manager for us. Will always be welcomed back. When you put into context what he did in that first season it's actually an incredible achievement. We even flirted a tiny bit with the playoffs at one point if memory serves me right.

He also signed Barry Corr which is enough for me

Weren't Mohsni and Timlin (albeit on loan to begin with) signed in the first season too?

If we are still talking about Sturrock, Timlin wasn't signed until the second season, He was a ready made replacement for Easton who moved on after one season

Took my (at the time) young son to Meet the Blues day that season which was a challenge when he was asking me who the players were!
I remember thinking from the outset that Craig Easton was a top bloke after a quick chat.
Also there was a very polite young Frenchman with a big plaster over a cut on his eye who said his name was Bilel....

Back