• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Looking at Browns squad this year compared to the squad PS had when we lost out in the play offs, which would you prefer? The likes of Hall, Grant, Mohsni, Dickinson, Clohessy etc.. Or are what we have now? Which is stronger?

Although all those mentioned were good players, probably individually as good as their current replacements, the difference now is we play more as a team. You can see the players are all mates working for each other, and I think thats one of PB's strong points. Team spirit is better than its been for years and it shows in the performances.

There's only one way to find out .... FIGHT! Oh wait, not a good idea if Mohsni is involved.

Bentley vs Morris - Bentley wins within the first round.

White vs Clohessy - After several close rounds, White's defence helps him win.
Prosser vs Mohsni - Mohsni seems to get an early advantage
Phillips vs Barker - Both seem content in sitting on their rocking chair with a blanket over their lap smoking a pipe - draw.
Coker vs Gilbert - Any contest? No a knockout punch from Coker in the first round

Leonard vs Grant - Leonard land's a punch and Grant goes down and stays down. He is later seen with a brown envelope.
Timlin vs Ferdinand - Very close, but Ferdinand makes a prison rape joke and with Timlin's guard down he knocks him out.
Atkinson vs Kalala - Kalala can't keep up with Atkinson's energy levels and passes out in the 4th round.

Hurst vs Hall - Another close fight that has all the makings of a classic. Sadly Hall decided not to bother but still wanted to get "payed".
Straker vs Martin - After 8 round of pathetic fighting, Straker finally comes alive and wins.
Corr vs Dickinson - As they enter the ring, Dickinson craps his pants and runs off crying.

I can't think of many players that I would have back. Without the attitude problem and just on ability then Mohsni, Ferdinand and Hall would walk back into the squad. The squad we have now is younger and have a better "togetherness" than Sturrock's. Granted that most of the squad were signed by Sturrock, 7 of those above were and he gave Bentley game time, but Brown has carried that on.

Although the majority of the squad are Sturrock's, PB has made some very astute signings.

White, is a better overall player than Clohessey, much better defensively, and although not as dynamic going forward, has still weighed in with 2 or 3 assists this season.

Coker is a class LB plucked from the discarded list at the start of the season.

Atkinson is a quality signing that has energy to burn, a good touch and was part of a very good Bradford side last season.

Reid is just fat.

Thompson looks a good prospect for the future.

On the loan front, Kiernan was class, Woodrow has promise and has chipped in with a few important goals, and from the 30 minute cameo, O-Neill looks promising.

PB started out with a very good squad that under achieved last season, and should of been good enough for the play-offs, but has added very well, to take us to the next level, and I think we are a shoe in for the play-offs and if current form continues, we will be challenging for the title come April.

One was an organised side with a rough edge to grind out results.

The other is a team with high energy youth and more importantly skills which on there day are way above league two level.

The big thing for me is that although that both teams were/are effective one team for me gives much better value for money.

Dickinson and Martin in particular were a waste IMO

Martin without doubt.

Dickinson scored 12 goals in 37 appearances according to soccerbase so wouldnt say that was a waste when you consider Corr has 6 in 31 this year. Id take Corr every time though.

There was more dead wood in Sturrock's squad, he made some very good signings but some poor/pointless ones too. In Brown's squad the only senior player I'd say is surplus to requirements at the moment is Reid, who it has to be said has proven to be a bad signing. Brown also seems to be getting the best out of players like Leonard, Prosser and Straker who Sturrock signed. To be honest, I don't think I'd want anyone from the 2011/2012 squad back right now, with the possible exception of Grant. Certainly wouldn't describe Dickinson as a "waste" though, but Corr does far more for the team.

Saturdays starting 11 contained 8 players handed down to Brown from sturrock. As well as freddy, laird on the bench. I would say the squads are very similar.......imo brown boxed very clever with his limited number of signings as well as the development of existing players. Ryan Leonard.......wtf?????? I woul have kicked him out before pre season started......the two orient games apart I just didnt see anything in him to suggest he would be an inspirational midfield dynamo. Prosser has really come on too. The signing of white and coker have been pivotal. Im yet to see better full backs this season. Atkinson....my favourite player this year, rarely have I seen a player at this level with such an engine.
Why devote time to a sturrock v brown debate....it seems they have, in a perverse way worked together rather well

Saturdays starting 11 contained 8 players handed down to Brown from sturrock. As well as freddy, laird on the bench. I would say the squads are very similar.......imo brown boxed very clever with his limited number of signings as well as the development of existing players. Ryan Leonard.......wtf?????? I woul have kicked him out before pre season started......the two orient games apart I just didnt see anything in him to suggest he would be an inspirational midfield dynamo. Prosser has really come on too. The signing of white and coker have been pivotal. Im yet to see better full backs this season. Atkinson....my favourite player this year, rarely have I seen a player at this level with such an engine.
Why devote time to a sturrock v brown debate....it seems they have, in a perverse way worked together rather well

Would certainly agree with that. I was in contact with PS earlier today and he made a point, that I'm sure he won't mind me repeating. In brief, he said it is always his aim to leave a club in a better state than when he arrived. Some would say that wasn't difficult from our position, heading towards the 20140/11 season but IMHO we have him to thank for providing the solid base on which PB has constructed his, so far, successful side this season.

This say's it all. Close the thread.

I'd much rather watch a Brown team than a Sturrock one, and he's got us playing some high quality football and made some very astute signings - fair play to El Tango, my opinion of him has changed dramatically and he's impressed me constantly throughout the season. Let's not forget that Sturrock did a great job for this club though. Yes I'm delighted with the job Brown has done and I wouldn't swap him for anyone at this level but we probably wouldn't still be a league club had Sturrock not been appointed and that needs to be acknowledged.

The team when Sturrock left and Brown's team are extremely similar, almost as if we were under some kind of embar....oh yeah

Now that's quite an interesting point. Did the fact, due to the embargo, that Phil Brown couldn't make wholesale changes to the squad left by Paul Sturrock, in a peverse way, work to our favour? If there had been some funds available when PB arrived, would we have the same squad as today?

Now that's quite an interesting point. Did the fact, due to the embargo, that Phil Brown couldn't make wholesale changes to the squad left by Paul Sturrock, in a peverse way, work to our favour? If there had been some funds available when PB arrived, would we have the same squad as today?

Not sure the embargo would have made that much difference, even being a League Two side with no embargo, could we really afford to change most of the squad.

Fair play to Sturrock, he did get us out of a pretty big mess and Brown has built on that. The most impressive thing for me this season has been the fitness levels and I remember this being something Brown complained about when he first joined.

The biggest thing that plagued the Sturrock era was one certain player who upset the whole ethos of camaraderie in the changing room, and on the pitch. After one game, (albeit the big one), Brown recognised this and got shot of him. And very good riddance too!

Back