• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Style of Play Debate

The trouble tonight is Dicko was incredibly isolated. We didn't win a single second ball in their half, and when our style relies so much on winning the majority of second balls, we were well beaten.

Too many players hiding, Too many players out of form at the same time hence too many players suffering from a severe lack of confidence.

Tonight, we gave up without a whimper.

Confidence is huge within Sport, it affects even the very best of players.

Under PS we play Direct and occasionally mix it up, at the moment, we play this Direct tactic that has sadly (Not under PS instructions) become hoofball, but what makes it worse is that too many players appear to be hiding at the moment - that in turn see's players in posession with limited if no options other than to hoof it.

From the tactical side of things, this one man up top does not work - we need to get back to 4-4-2 with our players getting it wide and into the box. At the moment were sinking and fast.

Ferdinand is not a natural player in that hole behind Dicko and therefore leaves Dickinson isolated. Kalala can't pass wind, Morris is shot...his confidence is shot and it is killing us. Barker looks slow and sluggish and we do not appear to have any talkers or leaders out on the pitch.

A Shake up is needed, because in three/four weeks time when the games in hand are played, we will be 5th/6th.

Nail on the head. We have no plan B, it worries me how our whole game plan relies on Dickinson, if he doesn't play well then the gameplan simply won't work. We need a plan B, I'd like it to be us holding the ball up so midfielders can get into attacking positions, most of our midfielders have as many if not more goals than our strikers (barring Dickinson,) so why not get them involved more often, rather than crossing early wait for bodies to get in or pass it into the middle instead. I'm not a tactician so that's probably the worst plan b ever invented but we need some kind of back up plan, because if the opposition figure out plan a, they basically have the 3 points.

Luckily I only had a 20 minute drive home after that pile of **** tonight... Feel very sorry for those who had to drive back to Southend.

The style of play has been debated constantly for the past few weeks, with the belief that if long ball gets results then we should continue with it. Whilst I admit it has worked in getting us towards the top of this shockingly poor league, it is incredibly frustrating to watch and when it's not working against a team it just doesn't work!!

This was our problem tonight! Where is the plan b! Hoof hoof hoof up to Dicko who won pretty much all the balls up to him in the first half, but with nobody running in behind him. Hoof down the flanks with nobody with any pace to penetrate the oppo back 4. It clearly didn't work in the first half, so why isn't there an option to go 442 and just get the ball down and use the flanks. You can see Clohessy desperate to do this, each goal kick trying to offer an option deep and wide yet being pushed up by Morris. I really was just dumbfounded as to how clueless and one dimensional we were tonight.

Fine Luggy, if you want to play long ball to get results then fine!! But don't have it as our only option, man for man we must have one of the best squads in the league yet we're afraid of getting our best players on the ball and playing at teams when hoof ball clearly doesn't work!!

I'm not asking for us to play like Barca! Just the odd overlap, switch of play on the deck and allowing players to drive forwards when there's 20 yards of pitch free in front of them, instead of taking the easy option and lumping it forward.

This isn't a pure overreaction to tonight, although I have been fuming since the final whistle, just a genuine question as this isn't the first time we've run out of ideas when teams work out how to defend against us!

Very Good Post. I can really feel your frustration.
I did post recently that we have to forget the Hoof debate because Sturrock will not change.
He has his game plan and he has got players in who he thinks will follow it, and he is sticking by it.

When it doesn't work, as it did not tonight it is horrendous. PS stands there watching it and then starts quoting stats to justify it. Hate to say it but I have been saying for ages that we will not keep getting away with this type of football and getting results. It does seem he is a one trick pony and every body knows his trick now. It really is Play offs at best now but who could be confident of getting through that. Imagine Dicko standing on his own 100 yards from any one on the wembley pitch while 10 other guys try to hump it to him. Just hope Sturrock does surprise me and does some thing new, not holding my breath though
.:darkcloud:​

Nothing to do with style of play; players were awful and not interested, end of.

Nothing to do with style of play; players were awful and not interested, end of.

Do you really think Jay? Yes they were poor tonight, but other than not winning the second ball, as has been previously stated, I don't think they were far off doing what PS had asked of them. Alder**** just found it incredibly easy to deal with.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.426395,-0.492522

I didn't go to the Aldershot game or listen to it as I was working, so not sure how we performed but one thing that keeps being said to me lately by my mates (AFC Wimbledon fans, I live in Surrey) is that we have been found out and now the style of play that was catching teams out on the break isn't working because they are expecting it and know we don't have a plan B.

I'm in the camp that says they don't care how we win as long as we win but maybe it is time to try something new now our direct style of football is getting less and less effective?

I dont think it helps that we really have only one decent passer of the ball in midfield that being Timlin. I dont think Ive seen a worse passer of the ball than JPK. Shame Sawyer isnt fit as him and Timlin in the middle would be good I feel.

My main concern is that Sturrock's favoured style of play is clearly with one up top. yet we have more Strikers than London Underground.

And of those strikers, one who seems not to fit that system is in his mid 30's, about 20% of the way through a 3 year contract and must be very close to the top of the earners list.

I dont think it helps that we really have only one decent passer of the ball in midfield that being Timlin. I dont think Ive seen a worse passer of the ball than JPK. Shame Sawyer isnt fit as him and Timlin in the middle would be good I feel.

I can see where you're coming from CB, but these guys are pro footballers playing against players at a similar level to themselves. I don't think anybody is expecting 40 yard game changing passes, but if they can't handle 2-3 touch football to switch the play, stretch the oppo and get our best players on the ball in dangerous areas then they really shouldn't be playing pro football.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.426239,-0.492885

Clinton Baptiste said:
I still think Kane should be playing as the holding midfielder rather than JPK. I still can't fathom out why PS hasn't played him there this season, after he was a revelation there last season...

Best thing that could happen would be an Injury to Dickinson. Its clear Sturrock wont drop him, despite his poor form of late, and while he's in the team this dictates our style of play. Agree with those who say we have been found out. No co-incidence we have now played everyone at least once, so they know what to expect. We set ourselves up like the away side, even at the Hall. And make your mind up Luggy what to do with Mohsni - CB, striker, Left miodfield or impact player from bench? We all love him but he needs a settled position.
Drop Dicko, stick Benyon plus one other up front, go with 2 proper wide players, Hall + Martin, Barker or Prosser at LB, Mohsni + Phillips at CB.
As other's have said, we desperately need a plan B.

He doesnt know his best team thats the problem. Second half last night we went 4-4-2 with Timlin and Martin out wide and JPK and Kane in the middle. If Luggy really thinks that is a midfield that is going to create chances then god help us.
We need to go back to 4-4-2 with Timlin and Kane in the middle, Martin and Hall out wide and Dicko with A.N.Other up front. Why not give Flood a chance? If not why the bloody hell sign him in the first place?

best player v gills, second best player v crewe after Clohessy IMO. so maybe it's his support that's lacking?

Agreed, not really sure what more people can expect from him. Won everything lumped up to him last night, with nobody winning the drop down. Chased hopeless balls into the channels, with no support. If anything we looked even worse when he came off, as Aldershot just stuck 2-3 players on Moshni as he was the only tall outlet for the long ball from then on.

Can someone explain to me why we spend time pre-match playing close passing and triangle passing routines then never use it during matches.

Should spend the time with the defence at one end of the pitch and Dicko at the other and the defence booting the ball to his head.

Do you really think Jay? Yes they were poor tonight, but other than not winning the second ball, as has been previously stated, I don't think they were far off doing what PS had asked of them. Alder**** just found it incredibly easy to deal with.

Yes I do think that, I'm not sure we actually played, so therefore you can't blame the style; but that's just my opinion

We need to revert to a simple 4-4-2 with Hall back on the wing with Martin on the other. PLEASE start passing the ball along the floor!!

Like some others have said, give that Flood a go, otherwise it was a complete and utter waste of time signing him!

Back