• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Subbuteo Sets

Yes you could have fencing and floodlights and other stuff, but they tended to get in the way, and fell over or were knocked over. So most owners didn't bother. As long as we had the pitch, the players, the goal nets and a ball, we were good to go.

I seem to remember railings \low fencing around mine, that were constantly falling over !!! Don't know if I'm confusing it with some other game! Anyone else recall low fences?
The process of getting the cloth pitch to stay flat!!! I used legs on a large board but it made the touchline wonky

We (or more accurately, my brother) had a picket fence around the pitch. I didn't see any shooters behind there, mind you.

Here is the fence,
s-l500.jpg

You had to put in on a wooden (plywood) base.
I think I used the large dining room table. One of those from the time that had two wings that folded down - it has rounded edges that made the pegs ping off. !!! A plywood base would have been fantastic. Couldn't do it on the floor cos of the dog if I recall!

Also seem to remember there were upgrades on goalposts available and they always seemed to be breaking! I've got the vision of basic ones with red nets!!!! But didn't they do ones on a moulded platform with white nets?
I wonder if my excitement back then of getting a new team in the rectangular green box is the equivalent of getting ps5 fifa 21 in today's world!

Also seem to remember there were upgrades on goalposts available and they always seemed to be breaking! I've got the vision of basic ones with red nets!!!! But didn't they do ones on a moulded platform with white nets?
I wonder if my excitement back then of getting a new team in the rectangular green box is the equivalent of getting ps5 fifa 21 in today's world!

Yes, the basic starter sets with two teams were red and white, and blue and white, and normally two goalies in green and white. Then you got the goals with the red nets you mentioned, cloth pitch and balls. I used to go to the shops selling Subbuteo and open the team boxes to pick the best looking teams and kits, rather than teams I liked. It gave you a buzz when taking home a new team. I don't think todays kids are so easily pleased.

I have those Italia 90 nets and balls, along with the rolled up astroturf pitch and grandstand they were my pride and joy! Different times!
Footballs used at major international tournaments seem so joyless pre-1996 (that year's Questra Europa was the first to get just a smidgen of colour)! I get it wouldn't have mattered much in black and white TV days but the Tricolore in 98 and the Fevernova in 2002 were infinitely more appealing for colour broadcasts, surely!

Yes, the basic starter sets with two teams were red and white, and blue and white, and normally two goalies in green and white. Then you got the goals with the red nets you mentioned, cloth pitch and balls. I used to go to the shops selling Subbuteo and open the team boxes to pick the best looking teams and kits, rather than teams I liked. It gave you a buzz when taking home a new team. I don't think todays kids are so easily pleased.
Agreed! Used to buy my teams from Peter Taylor's sports shop (bottom of the Hamlet Court Road) - anyone recall that massive Scalextric race-track centre just round the corner? (towards the railway line)

Totally agree! Now I've remembered getting the palace one...diagonal stripe...never supported them tho

Agreed! Used to buy my teams from Peter Taylor's sports shop (bottom of the Hamlet Court Road) - anyone recall that massive Scalextric race-track centre just round the corner? (towards the railway line)
Yep!!! My cousins lived in valkyrie rd nearby. I went to that scalextrix place. Was mind blowing as a kid ...4 or 6 lanes..?
I would go to ted Fenton sports in barkingside because was a friend of the family!

I think I used the large dining room table. One of those from the time that had two wings that folded down - it has rounded edges that made the pegs ping off. !!! A plywood base would have been fantastic. Couldn't do it on the floor cos of the dog if I recall!

One advantage of having a Dad who was a builder I suppose. IIRC we had a cat back in those days and the floor ( usually in our parent's bedroom wasn't a problem).

I well remember that brilliant Scalextric track.

For me the best place to acquire subbuteo teams was Whittakers in London Road, not far from The Cricketers. I recall they had a long glass -topped counter along which they displayed all the available team kits by taping a flat celluloid player from each team in a long line in catalogue order.

Then on shelves behind the counter they had loads of team boxes.

I remember giving all my original 70's and 80's Subbuteo teams, all boxed, including several sets of goals, pitches, scoreboard, stands, dugout and loads of other bits away when we moved house in around 1985. Would be worth a fortune now.

Also gave away all my Action Men stuff, had tons of it, another gold mine.

Collectible toys now. Never gave it a second thought at the time.

Very few people did, which is why they are now so collectable...

Back