• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Subbuteo Sets

My friend had the cricket , with bowler had to be flicked off to bowl and fielders had in front of them bases that had cup to catch the ball if hit to them
He also had Rugby but that was boring

I used to prefer playing Striker where you pressed the players head to pick the ball. Seem to remember the heads would get a bit wobbly after a while, as only thin wire?

Great call had that as well, also any one remember Quizball on Tv I think David Coleman was the Sue Barker of his day
I had the electric board game, basically the game was to go for goal either by 4 easy questions, 3 reasonably easy questions, or two hard or straight at goal with one nearly impossible question

There's this starter set available now Westcliff Shrimper. Currently in stock at Argos in Sainsburys in Southend.
Things have changed since I played. Now numbers on the back, and some players have long hair or dark skin.

9063828_R_Z004A_UC1218610

9063828_R_Z002A

Last edited:
Me and my brother had tons of Subbuteo stuff when I was a kid. We had all kinds of teams. I liked Los Angeles Aztecs because young me thought they sounded amazingly exotic and exciting.

I bought Southend's team with my birthday money.

My brother used to get me to paint his Arsenal team to exactly match what the favoured starting lineup was that season. I remember painting a tiny little moustache on tiny little Kenny Sansom.

There's this starter set available now Westcliff Shrimper. Currently in stock at Argos in Sainsburys in Southend.
Things have changed since I played. Now numbers on the back, and some players have long hair or dark skin.

9063828_R_Z004A_UC1218610

9063828_R_Z002A

Perfect, thank you.

Just looked Westcliff Shrimper , and the stock in store has gone, might have alerted others.
So now it's a order now online, and collect at Sainsburys Argos tomorrow, just in case you're not aware.

My friend had the cricket , with bowler had to be flicked off to bowl and fielders had in front of them bases that had cup to catch the ball if hit to them
He also had Rugby but that was boring

Ah yes, remember it well, very fiddly setting up stumps and bails.

Did anyone have the Casdon Soccer, endorsed by Bobby Charlton? Each player was in a little dip. So you had to turn the knobs to get to the correct position, before passing or shooting at the goal. It was quite enjoyable.

images

images
My brother had that one, remember a bugger getting the players out as they were fitted to a cog and had to be pulled out

Back in the mid 1970's when I was circa 13 yrs old I joined the South Benfleet Subbuteo League and played in the Second Division. We had home and away games staged at each others houses. Trouble is anyone from the area could enter and most of the players I didn't know. My Mum made me pack it in when she came home from work to find me playing a subbuteo match against this forty year old bloke who certainly seemed a bit odd - "you're not playing against wierdo's" I recall her saying to me after she watched out the game and saw him out!

I missed out on subbuteo football but remember having something called 4-2-4 where the players (England v Scotland) where on a square base with a one side angled edge. The pitch was marked with zones, hence 4-2-4, and I remember it being quite robust as you could use the angled edge to float or chip the ball over the opposition!
Don’t think it ever took on though!

I missed out on subbuteo football but remember having something called 4-2-4 where the players (England v Scotland) where on a square base with a one side angled edge. The pitch was marked with zones, hence 4-2-4, and I remember it being quite robust as you could use the angled edge to float or chip the ball over the opposition!
Don’t think it ever took on though!

Well done. I had that and couldn't remember the name. It was a bit strange. Especially with all those zones on the pitch. If I remember right, other players weren't allowed in your zone or something? Not many of my mates liked the game, and preferred Subbuteo.

taf4.jpg

xJ03Q-tOtyeLuMk2oZc1qOMFMLmJRI7zam6wr_JXGAE-LUU3aPi3pRQBTdw7GGp3I9ZDmfmUVMZXyNgVf1Foc5s

I remember being the home team one day and for some reason had mislaid my balls (ooh err missus). Only thing I could improvise with was a marble. Probably get a fine, points deduction and one game behind closed doors these days!

Anyone got a spare ball raising chute?

I seem to have mislaid mine.

Back