• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Subjects at school

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Which ones did you hate, and which did you think were totally pointless?

Oddly at school I hated physics but at college, I liked it!
Latin, English Literature and metalwork were, for me, totally wasted time. I was awful at games/PE but I tried, apart from Rugby. School was not a happy time!

Physics without any shadow of a doubt in both categories. Hated it and it was the only science I didn't take on to O-level.

At our school, in the lower years, we also had "dance" - pointless. Who needs to learn how to do the polka? Shorthand, in the 6th form - also pointless, couldn't get my head around it, my English logical brain couldn't get to grips with going back to effectively spelling phonetically.

Loved English, Art and history - biggest regret of my life was dropping History.

Last edited:
Chemistry and French, subjects concocted by the Devil.
History, English Lan/Lit and, oddly, Sociology- loved 'em.

Disliked Chemistry and dropped English Lit after we started on ‘Poets of WW1’, just pointless, whereas languages at least had a potential use. Loved all the sports.

I so hated needlework, Domestic Science and Typing and wanted to do metal work and woodwork with the boys but alas, when I was at school boys and girls subjects were separated - wouldn’t get away with it today.
Loved Human Biology but the teacher looking back now really was not mentally stable and used to line us up against the wall and throw the board rubber at us.
Sadly, I left school without any qualifications but when I wanted to go into nurse training I needed o’levels so I went back to night school to get them and it was only then that I wished I had listened and behaved more at school

Hated Chemistry and Maths and, sadly, French just passed me by. Weird, because in later years I needed French in my job and coped reasonably well. Loved English, history and music and all sports but rugby which is just plain stupid as a game.

Wasn't a fan of Drama or Home Economics, had no problem and enjoyed pretty much everything else though.

I hated French and German.

Wasn't keen on PE either as I just wanted to play football and cricket but it always seemed to be something else.

I hated French and German.

Wasn't keen on PE either as I just wanted to play football and cricket but it always seemed to be something else.
I actually went to a not so good school and done P.E as an option and loved it!
Also like Tinks Human Biology which was similar to the theory side.

Enjoyed being excused Physics,Science and TD plus Woodwork at Eastwood HS.Was crap at Latin before that also Maths.Thoroughly enjoyed doing English Lit, History and Economics at WHS in the 6th form.Was also quite good at French before that.

I remember when I first went to Belfairs and walking into my first history lesson ,would it be Francis Drake , Horatio Nelson The Zulu war any of these I loved history what did I get The Franch Renaissance , why would I want to know about the French . Same as music why would I want to know where Mendleson or Bach came from .

Similar - I absolutely loved the outdoor sports, hockey, netball, tennis but detested "gym" and tolerated athletics for the throwing and jumping stuff, always hated running and very grateful never to have had to do cross country!

Depended on the teacher! Some teachers were very dull, some were mad (Dr Mr Short); some were just angry; some were great (Mr Hume, Mr Bull).

I started off liking history, chemistry and English. That got replaced by liking German, business and maths and hating all other sciences, art, geography and history.

I so hated needlework, Domestic Science and Typing and wanted to do metal work and woodwork with the boys but alas, when I was at school boys and girls subjects were separated - wouldn’t get away with it today.
Loved Human Biology but the teacher looking back now really was not mentally stable and used to line us up against the wall and throw the board rubber at us.
Sadly, I left school without any qualifications but when I wanted to go into nurse training I needed o’levels so I went back to night school to get them and it was only then that I wished I had listened and behaved more at school

I did needlwork - hated it. I loved domestic science. I loved metal work, but hated woodwork - probably based on the teachers. Interesting that your school should have separated boys and girls. My school didn't and I suspect I'm a lot older than you (51 a couple of weeks ago)

One subject we did in our 1st year (year 7) was Library Skills. I've never known such a load of horse****. What a complete waste of time that was. Who cares about the Dewey Decimal System?

Back