• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
With the 6 Nations starting this weekend to kick-off a Rugby World Cup year, what would be your all time rugby team, compiled from SUFC past or present.

2 Gary Deegan - looks like a hooker (not that type) with ridiculous beard and chunky thighs
4 Roy McDonough - tall(ish) and loved the physical stuff, he's a lock for this side
5 Rob Newman - adds some ballast to the pack. From the West Country so bound to like rugby.
6 Phil Gridelet - Got called a flanker on many occasions and was famously blind-side when Andy Rammell couldn't find his contacts. Not sure pretty boy Grids actually liked the rough stuff as much as he made out, but in for comedy value
7 Gary Bennett - would have made a great openside. Tough as nails.
8 Bilel Mohsni - would have been a great rugby player and the Tunisian Zinzan Brooke but for the same reasons he's not a great football player
9 Will Atkinson - high work-rate, from the north (albeit league not union) and loves a backwards pass. Fought off Maher to win this spot.
10 Mike Marsh - reckon he'd have been able to direct play from stand-off and would have the kicking game.
11 Stanley Collymore - the pace, the power, the ability to glide past defenders. Oh yes.
12 Barry Corr - battering ram of a centre but with guile and a renown scorer
13 Blair Sturrock - hard-working, knows his defensive role and proven partnership with BBBC
14 Dave Regis - point him in the right direction and let him use his pace and power (and hope no-one runs at him)
15 Josh Simpson(-Daniel) - ran some beautiful rugby lines. With a name like that he probably went to a rugby playing public school anyway

I'm missing a couple of props. Any suggestions? Maybe Neville Southall and, although he was before my time, Keith Mercer?

Any improvements?

Surely Barry Corr a Forward, and not a back row, ya want ya back row as quick players to either score tries or to make last ditch tackles to the other sides back row???:thumbsup:

With the 6 Nations starting this weekend to kick-off a Rugby World Cup year, what would be your all time rugby team, compiled from SUFC past or present.

2 Gary Deegan - looks like a hooker (not that type) with ridiculous beard and chunky thighs
4 Roy McDonough - tall(ish) and loved the physical stuff, he's a lock for this side
5 Rob Newman - adds some ballast to the pack. From the West Country so bound to like rugby.
6 Phil Gridelet - Got called a flanker on many occasions and was famously blind-side when Andy Rammell couldn't find his contacts. Not sure pretty boy Grids actually liked the rough stuff as much as he made out, but in for comedy value
8 Bilel Mohsni - would have been a great rugby player and the Tunisian Zinzan Brooke but for the same reasons he's not a great football player
9 Will Atkinson - high work-rate, from the north (albeit league not union) and loves a backwards pass. Fought off Maher to win this spot.
10 Mike Marsh - reckon he'd have been able to direct play from stand-off and would have the kicking game.
11 Stanley Collymore - the pace, the power, the ability to glide past defenders. Oh yes.
13 Blair Sturrock - hard-working, knows his defensive role and proven partnership with BBBC
14 Dave Regis - point him in the right direction and let him use his pace and power (and hope no-one runs at him)
15 Josh Simpson(-Daniel) - ran some beautiful rugby lines. With a name like that he probably went to a rugby playing public school anyway

I'm missing a couple of props. Any suggestions? Maybe Neville Southall and, although he was before my time, Keith Mercer?

Any improvements?

For me (assuming we're talking about the same numbers here - your choice of Barry Corr as Inside Centre made me doubtful!)...

rugby_positions_416.gif

Number 2 - Hooker - Deegan without a doubt. Made for it.

Numbers 1&3 - Former player management - Buzz and Coughlan - Strength, commitment, leadership and guile

Number 8 - If Maher couldn't be number 9, he's a shoo-in for the Number 8, holding up the play, passing it to another player at the right time, and giving the loose ball a cheeky little dink or floated pass at just the right time. Mohsni is a warrior and would have made a great second row.

Number 9 - Scrum Half - I'd be looking to Federici for his great distribution - hands and feet

Number 12 - Barry Corr - REALLY!? We need pace and power and Stanley is wasted on the left wing. SC is a DREAM for the inside or outside centre positions. Not that we ever saw one, but a fit Michael Ricketts could have completed an awesome pairing.

Any improvements?

I've seen a few of 'that type' who also had a ridiculous beard and chunky thighs !!!

Gary (Garry?) Richards - big bugger and could wallop the ball over stand of the opposite goal even when in his own penalty area - surely a useful skill for a rugby player? :nope:

Barry Conlon - I would love to see him at the bottom of a mall (is that the right word) with 15 large French blokes stuck on top of him trying to get hold of his ball(s) ...........

Barry Conlon - I would love to see him at the bottom of a mall (is that the right word) with 15 large French blokes stuck on top of him trying to get hold of his ball(s) ...........

Look maybe you want to take him shopping, but rugby really does seem to bringing out the homoerotic side in some posters.

Spoiler:  
It's maul

Hank - beard's are passé. Long gone, like Mark to Kingstonian

That Scully tackle versus Bury away in 1991 was the worst (best) tackle I have ever seen.

At positions 1 and 3 I'd like to nominate Ian Benjamin and Richard Young. Strong and powerful props.

Back