• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Believe the Feb 1974 game was Wrexham and recall having a team sheet, also remember a Sunday trip to the Valley and standing on their massive terraced bank.
We had a few Sunday matches that particular season and apart from the matches listed above we also played Shrewsbury Town won 2-0 and York City drew 3-3 at Roots Hall. Ironically the Sunday home 1-1 draw against Wrexham on the 24/02/74 drew a crowd of just over 10,000 the highest gate at Roots Hall that season.

We have our first Former Players Club meeting at Roots Hall this coming Weds afternoon 2-4 pm. It is open to former Southend United players (any era at any level) and so far we have circa 15 to 20 former players coming along.

We would like to thank the club for making the d2 lounge available to us for this and the Blue Boar for sponsoring the light refreshments.

March 2024 Meeting.jpg

We have our first Former Players Club meeting at Roots Hall this coming Weds afternoon 2-4 pm. It is open to former Southend United players (any era at any level) and so far we have circa 15 to 20 former players coming along.

We would like to thank the club for making the d2 lounge available to us for this and the Blue Boar for sponsoring the light refreshments.

View attachment 31378
Is this after the Senior Shrimpers Cafe from 11-1 ?

Is this after the Senior Shrimpers Cafe from 11-1 ?

Yes, that is of course run by SUCET and it is completely separate

The Former Players Club is run by SUEPA for former players (and their partners if they wish to come). The only common denominator will probably be Frankie Banks.

We are trialling the FPC - it's something I've seen other clubs do for their former players and it seems to work well, primarily being a regular meeting forum for former players to swop old stories with old teammates and maybe meet new friends. If there is demand we will look to run it approx once a month.

The Former Players Club is run by SUEPA for former players (and their partners if they wish to come). The only common denominator will probably be Frankie Banks.

We are trialling the FPC - it's something I've seen other clubs do for their former players and it seems to work well, primarily being a regular meeting forum for former players to swop old stories with old teammates and maybe meet new friends. If there is demand we will look to run it approx once a month.
Cheers young man. Best of luck and many thanks.

On my way out of RH about 1.30 I saw a very tall, slim handsome chap with a Southend top and very blonde hair coming out of a door, looking like he was sneaking out for a crafty fag.

Was this you Andy ?

How did today go ?

On my way out of RH about 1.30 I saw a very tall, slim handsome chap with a Southend top and very blonde hair coming out of a door, looking like he was sneaking out for a crafty fag.

Was this you Andy ?

How did today go ?
nice to know that the grey hair still looks blond in a certain light, yep it was me. I've just been signed by Kev as the answer to his search for a 35 goal a season striker .............. and we held the Former Players Club meeting which was fantastic. Full report and tons of wonderful Davethephoto pics now up on https://www.facebook.com/SUEPAssoc so take a peek there, but here's a group one for you
a2c6e7a6-bb90-4206-8911-741a2418604b.jpg

nice to know that the grey hair still looks blond in a certain light, yep it was me. I've just been signed by Kev as the answer to his search for a 35 goal a season striker .............. and we held the Former Players Club meeting which was fantastic. Full report and tons of wonderful Davethephoto pics now up on https://www.facebook.com/SUEPAssoc so take a peek there, but here's a group one for you
View attachment 31408
Great to see these explayers showing that Southend United still means something to them .

Back