• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brothers although not playing at the same time - Michael and Tommy Black.

And a pair only one of whom played a first team game Mick and Phil O’Connor.

Last edited:
Expecting King Billy and King Kev at the Southend United Hall of Fame Eve on 22 Nov that the Shrimpers Trust (the SUEPA bit) are working with the club on and expect to see start being publicised by the club by the end of the week. Will have to see if I can get a couple of crowns sorted. Would be nice to get King Richard along too if he could ever be found (his FB page is not active)

I am sure that Phil went to Australia and played for Australia about 20 - 30 times .
Phil O'Connor made his only league appearance for Southend United against Lincoln City in a 2-2 draw on Boxing Day 1969 and at that time was one of the youngest players to play for the club at just 16 years & 77 days. After leaving Southend United he played at non-league Bexley United before returning to the football league with both Luton Town and ironically Lincoln City Phil then emigrated to Australia around 1975 playing for various clubs down under. He quickly made his way into the Australian national team making 20 appearances and scoring 5 goals which included 3 appearances against England in 1983. Sadly Phil died in September 1985 when his van hit a tree and he was killed instantly. Phil had a brother Mick who was also on the books of Southend United.

Just signed up Colin Flatt for SUEPA - Colin played for us 20 times in 1966/67 an scored 8 times. Prob is I don't have a pic of him in a Shrimpers shirt which I'd like when posting news of him joining SUEPA on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Can anyone help? Maybe someone could look thro 66/7 progs (I'm not that old to have any - just!) to see if he appears and take a pic of that with your mobile and send it thro? Cheers

Here you go @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset

Colin Flatt.jpg
Colin Flatt in his Southend United kit outside Roots Hall in the old Roots Hall market.

Untitled.jpg
Colin Flatt second from left
These are screen shots taken from this great Pathe News film taken in 1966 of Roots Hall and the massive new market held on the car park.

A WHOLE host of Southend United legends will be attending the launch of the Shrimpers’ ‘Hall of Fame’ later this month.

More...

I can now confirm that Mel Capleton will be our guest for the Rotherham game on Sat Dec 14. We will also be joined by one of his old team mates Adrian Clarke
I remember being invited to the sponsors box when Mel was in goal. I think it was at home against Cardiff when they were flying high and Alan Little was in charge trying to stave off relegation to non league (i think, t'was a while ago). Southend played well, lost 1-0 but I'm sure Mel saved a penalty and we voted him man of the match. Will always have a soft spot for him.

Just spoke to Dennis Booth and signed him up for SUEPA - our first signing of the decade. Now aged 70, Dennis was a great player for us 72-74 and played in that top match v Chelsea in the League Cup with over 24,000 at Roots Hall. Some top memories from Dennis in our chat and we might be able to get him back to Roots Hall for a visit soon

I know you were all wanting to hear news of a new signing so I thought I'd let you all know first and before I break it on our SUEPA Facebook page

Hope this was the news you all were waiting for :Smile:

Back