• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy is the one person to so far decline our invite - I made a special trip to his cafe and spoke to him some time ago. He has his reasons (which are nothing to do with SUEPA), we can only respect that.

Fair comment SSID, that's a shame especially as you made the time & effort to go & see him.
He was always a popular player during his time here, & in the early 80's ran a sports shop near Thames Drive with Mike Beesley.

Andy is the one person to so far decline our invite - I made a special trip to his cafe and spoke to him some time ago. He has his reasons (which are nothing to do with SUEPA), we can only respect that.

You'd have to get his wife -a real dragon-to agree.

Andy's a very shy,private man.He was a wonderful footballer though (and is a pretty decent chef too).

We've been asked by a few folk of late for a reminder of our current membership list, so having now reached 222 members, here goes ... (and if you know of the whereabouts of a former member of the SUFC playing/coaching staff and don't see their name on the list PLEASE do get in touch with us as we want to keep on growing!):

Goalkeepers
Mervyn Cawston
Darryl Flahavan
Cameron Belford
Steve Collis
Derek Bellotti
John Burridge
Ian Joyce
Steve Mildenhall
John Stannard
John Keely
Sean Rafter
Daniel Bentley
Paul Sansome
Neil Freeman
Terry Alderton
Peter Goy
Bart Griemink
Neville Southall
Mel Capleton
Jon O'Brien
Alan Mayer
Tony Hafford
Simon Royce
Peter Heathcote
Ray White

Defenders
Adam Barrett
Tony Hadley
Alan Moody
Andy Harris
Spencer Prior
Mark Phillips
Johnny Herd
Mark Beard
Danny O'Shea
Andy Dixon
Phil Dudley
Che Wilson
Mark Hone
Frankie Banks
Guy Butters
David McSweeney
Dave Barnett
John Walker
Peter Clarke
Tam Mkandawire
Lewis Hunt
Efe Sodje
Shane Westley
Michael Spillane
Tony Bentley
Chris Powell
Steven Hammell
Adam Thompson
Steve Hatter
Pat Scully
Chris Ramsey
Alex Smith
Dave Young
Paul Brush
David Morley
Leo Roget
Graham Coughlan
Osei Sankofa
Damon Searle
Neil Townsend
Derek Ewing
Micky Wright
Warren May
Dave Cusack
Duncan Jupp
Mark Stimson
Dave Worthington
Andy Edwards
Christian Hyslop
Derek Tharme
Ryan Cresswell
Bob Worthington
Owen Simpson
Ricky Footman
Chris Perkins
Graham Birks

Midfielders
Ron Pountney
Paul Byrne
Carl Hutchings
Adrian Clarke
Garry Nelson
Leon Johnson
Alan McCormack
Peter Daley
Jimmy Corbett
Danny Kerrigan
Peter Taylor
David Lee
Derek Hall
Julian Hails
Mark Bentley
Kevin Maher
Dave Martin
Dave Elliott
Glenn Pennyfather
Jason Cook
John Baber
Ken Reynolds
Terry Nicholl
Anton Outulakowski
Andy Ansah
Steve Tilson
Ricky Otto
Ryan Leonard
Colin Morris
Gerry Fell
Bobby Kellard
Peter Butler
Mike Marsh
Peter Hunt
Scott Forbes
Micky Laverick
Adrian Owers
Terry Johnson
Craig Easton
Declan Perkins
Damian Scannell
Alex Woodyard
Will Atkinson
Nicky Bailey
Ryan Hall
Martin Ling
Sanchez Watt
Jeff Hull
Mark Hall
Jack Bridge
Mark Gower
John Gymer
Alan Little
Franck Moussa
Iain O'Connell
Neil Jenkins
Stuart Thurgood
Malcolm Slater
Scott Houghton
Phil Gridelet
Anthony Wordsworth
Adam Locke
John Nielsen
Alan Dicks
Carl Pettefer
Nicky Smith
Paul Clark
Michael Timlin
Luke Guttridge
Dave Cunningham
Eddie Clayton
Jamie Southon
Paul Smith
Willie Coulson
Dennis Booth
Tony Beanland
Lars Unger
Martin Robinson
Ken Foggo

Strikers
Derek Spence
David Crown
Keith Mercer
Lawrie Dudfield
Andy Thomson
Billy Best
Ian Benjamin
Roy McDonough
Liam Dickinson
Blair Sturrock
John Linford
Drewe Broughton
Stan Collymore
Gary Moore
Gary Bennett
Stuart Parker
Lee Barnard
David Allaway
David Mooney
Francis Laurent
Derrick Parker
Terry Gray
Peter Silvester
Harry Crawford
Paul Furlong
Bill Garner
Freddy Eastwood
Jim Fryatt
Jason Lee
Lee Nogan
Mike Beesley
Barry Corr
Ken Jones
Brett Angell
James Walker
Matt Paterson
Gary Jones
Neil Tolson
Dickie Dowsett
Joe Pigott
Peter Abbott
Chris Guthrie
Martin Carruthers
Danny Greaves
Charles Ademeno
Ben Abbey
Billy Paynter
Wayne Gray
Lee Bradbury
Andy Rammell
Stuart Brace
Morrys Scott
Colin Flatt
Simon Cox
Jack Payne

Coaching
Steve Parmenter
Buster Footman
Steve Thompson
Mick Buxton
Dave Smith
Barry Fry
Paul Sturrock

View attachment 11571
I greatly enjoyed thumbing through this excellent list as I remember just about everyone very well.
I did find myself quibbling however with some of your “positioning”. I can’t help thinking players who played up front and had a decent goal scoring record, were “strikers” rather than “midfielders”: Ansah,Baber,Fell,Gymer,Otto and Robinson!
And also 3 less well-known players: Derek Ewing -mf-and Micky Wright -forward-weren’t defenders,but Danny Kerrigan-LB- was.

I greatly enjoyed thumbing through this excellent list as I remember just about everyone very well.
I did find myself quibbling however with some of your “positioning”. I can’t help thinking players who played up front and had a decent goal scoring record, were “strikers” rather than “midfielders”: Ansah,Baber,Fell,Gymer,Otto and Robinson!
And also 3 less well-known players: Derek Ewing -mf-and Micky Wright -forward-weren’t defenders,but Danny Kerrigan-LB- was.

Yep that prob needs a review if I've ever got the time - when we sign someone up I try and refer to an available source to check (which may itself be wrong) but will sometimes get it wrong and putting them on our databases is just one step of many in the initial work in signing someone up so sometimes I'm guilty of rushing. If we ever get hold of Tes Bramble tho I'm definitely going to record him as a keeper as his best game for us was when he was in goal!

I have known Andy Smillie since his playing days at Roots Hall and I often did work for both him and Mike Beesley when they were working for H.W.Stone & Son who had shops in both Leigh and Basildon. (At that time I was working for Bill Garner at his Sports Trophy business in Rochford) so I popped down to see Andy as a friend of mine was after any autographs of former Hammers players. So after getting Andy, Mike Beesley, Brian Dear, Jack Burkett who all live local and Roger Cross (scout). I gave Andy a copy of the DVD "The Team we call United" for which he was very grateful but told me he was not really into the nostalgia thing prefering to look forward rather than back so much so that when West Ham United contacted him about going back to Upton Park in their final season there he turned them down on a few occasions.

John Baber, Gerry Fell and Ricky Otto were wingers as probably was Andy Anash. John Gymer was probably a centre forward in the making and Martin Robinson a genuine striker.

Are there any inside forwards and wing halves?
When was the term striker invented and by whom?

I have known Andy Smillie since his playing days at Roots Hall and I often did work for both him and Mike Beesley when they were working for H.W.Stone & Son who had shops in both Leigh and Basildon. (At that time I was working for Bill Garner at his Sports Trophy business in Rochford) so I popped down to see Andy as a friend of mine was after any autographs of former Hammers players. So after getting Andy, Mike Beesley, Brian Dear, Jack Burkett who all live local and Roger Cross (scout). I gave Andy a copy of the DVD "The Team we call United" for which he was very grateful but told me he was not really into the nostalgia thing prefering to look forward rather than back so much so that when West Ham United contacted him about going back to Upton Park in their final season there he turned them down on a few occasions.
Thanks for that .

John Baber, Gerry Fell and Ricky Otto were wingers as probably was Andy Anash. John Gymer was probably a centre forward in the making and Martin Robinson a genuine striker.

Are there any inside forwards and wing halves?
When was the term striker invented and by whom?
Sorry if there’s some repetition involved but though some of them may have cut in a lot from wide areas ,all 6 in that list were strikers,forwards,goalscorers* call them which you like--NOT midfielders!
* if you can’t remember check their goal scoring records.

Sorry if there’s some repetition involved but though some of them may have cut in a lot from wide areas ,all 6 in that list were strikers,forwards,goalscorers* call them which you like--NOT midfielders!
* if you can’t remember check their goal scoring records.
Can't see where LBBlue actually called them midfield players.
As regards Ricky Otto, I would go as far as to say that in 52 years of watching the Blues, he would be in my top 3 WINGERS.

Can't see where LBBlue actually called them midfield players.
As regards Ricky Otto, I would go as far as to say that in 52 years of watching the Blues, he would be in my top 3 WINGERS.
It wasn’t LBB,Stuart,it was Suffolk Shrimper,post 279,page 14 — he only had 5 categories and he erroneously listed those 6 as midfielders- “strikers” was the only appropriate option there. My previous post shows an alternative and an addition to that term and you could certainly employ terms like attackers,wingers,frontmen (and widemen even ! )—Who remembers Alan Foggon,Dave Elliott....?

Up to 234 now - Sam Hart just signed up.

Our 62nd defender in front of 26 goalkeepers, so we are solid at the back.

Kevin Fallon, Mark Tinkler, Josh Wright, Rhys Evans and Rob Newman are other recent signings.

In case you think I can't add up after last post when at 230 as the abovementioned six give 236, we net off any deaths (sadly in recent times we've lost Buster Footman and Jim Fryatt).

Onwards and upwards, getting closer to the 250 year end target, and research we are doing shows that 234 members makes us one of the largest ex player associations out there.

Any leads peeps you know what to do

Back