• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Late One

Coach
A car full of SUFC fans got lost tonight on the long journey to Heybridge... the driver of the car (who was accompanied by Trueblue's spit swapping friend Phil Lamb) left Southend and set off for the Essex Cup tie along the A127. However they then missed the A130 junction and continued until reaching the M25 before going north on the A12 and arrived eventually to see SUFC beat Heybridge.

It was hoped that the journey home would be less eventful but the "boys in blue" had other ideas and pulled our fans over (due to a lighting problem).

Whilst it would not be correct of me to name the driver of the said vehicle all I can say is if Sam Allision offers you a lift to a away game - take a map !!

judging by previous posts involving said parties, should we take the reference to "the boys in blue" to be those from the blue oyster bar?

A car full of SUFC fans got lost tonight on the long journey to Heybridge... the driver of the car (who was accompanied by Trueblue's spit swapping friend Phil Lamb) left Southend and set off for the Essex Cup tie along the A127. However they then missed the A130 junction and continued until reaching the M25 before going north on the A12 and arrived eventually to see SUFC beat Heybridge.

It was hoped that the journey home would be less eventful but the "boys in blue" had other ideas and pulled our fans over (due to a lighting problem).

Whilst it would not be correct of me to name the driver of the said vehicle all I can say is if Sam Allision offers you a lift to a away game - take a map !!

He must have taken directions off Fred and Oz.... :thump:

Reminds me of the time skodaman gave me the postcode of Yeovil's ground for my sat-nav. Hooly , GNH and missus and I ended up in a village with 2 houses and a digger in someone's front garden about 10 miles from the ground. It wasn't the sat-nav that got it wrong ! :thump:

Reminds me of another sat-nav tale (related on here I think). A car-load of guys going to Col U; they'd been before but the driver wanted to test his new toy out so entered Layer Road as his destination and followed the directions. He ended up somewhere near Mersea Island, realised his mistake and reprogrammed the Sat-Nav for the correct Layer Road. He didn't quite get as far as Tolleshunt D'Arcy before realising he'd picked the wrong Layer Road again. Finally got to the ground really late (half-time perhaps?).

I'm reaching into my old-man memory for this and perhaps the culprit/victims can verify or correct my recollections.

And before anyone (which probably means you James) says anything, I meant to visit the Docks in Hartlepool and that definitely wasn't anything to do with selecting the wrong address in the sat nav.

:hilarious:

My Satellite Navigation thing thinks that there is a roundabout where the bridge over the A130 is, however if the lad lives in Southend he should know the area by now! :p ;)

On a similar line, many years when i was a teenager we coming back on the coach from a game it was dark foggy and we got lost. We were told to turn next left which we did straight into a private house's drive.

The occupants peeked from behind the curtains to see a coach load of football supporters parked on their drive.

I don't think they had enough tea cups to offer us a cup of tea!

I remember coming back from Swansea two seasons ago i think(not sure) was on one of the ST coaches and we broke down in reading services, After playing football with a rubber ball or 5 then raiding the unlocked stock room of the services a replacement coach turned up at 5:00am. Got travel money back so couldn't complain, and overall it was a laugh

The first time I drove to Cambridge United, I had no idea where the ground was and just headed for the town centre assuming that it would be sign posted. When I realised it wasnt, I stopped to ask directions. A young bloke said that people often got lost and gave me directions, which I followed to the letter. The only problem was when I arrived, I realised that I was at Cambridge City FC!!

I remember coming back from Swansea two seasons ago i think(not sure) was on one of the ST coaches and we broke down in reading services, After playing football with a rubber ball or 5 then raiding the unlocked stock room of the services a replacement coach turned up at 5:00am. Got travel money back so couldn't complain, and overall it was a laugh

exactly the same happened to me but it was this season, coming back from swansea we broke down at reading services, had to wait 3 hours for new coach to turn up, so it come about 10.30pm not as bad as 5.00am :p . we played football with a bouncey ball, got our money back. in the end turned out to be a good trip :)

Wheres Cricko now then? ;)

Nothing wrong with taking scenic routes! Makes a day of it :) sorry about the instructions mate we got it wrong again :(
Indeed, humblest apologies. Come to think of it, a good mate of mine, ashingdon-shrimper took the wrong side of the motorway on a tuesday night away game this season, so ended up heading towards London rather then the Northern situation he was looking for.

exactly the same happened to me but it was this season, coming back from swansea we broke down at reading services, had to wait 3 hours for new coach to turn up, so it come about 10.30pm not as bad as 5.00am :p . we played football with a bouncey ball, got our money back. in the end turned out to be a good trip :)
We broke down in Swindon for that game, got a nice lift home from some older man (Cricko?) and his lady friend who for some reason fancied coming to work with him. We listened to 909 and heard the goals go in, glad that we'd chosen that day to break down yet sad that we'd lost.

Reminds me of the time skodaman gave me the postcode of Yeovil's ground for my sat-nav. Hooly , GNH and missus and I ended up in a village with 2 houses and a digger in someone's front garden about 10 miles from the ground. It wasn't the sat-nav that got it wrong ! :thump:

Indeed a sad day for all the people who have a brain cell when someone is out witted by an electronic device. I felt the tension build until those distinct words "you have reached your destination" projected from the unit.........er, no we haven't

And before anyone (which probably means you James) says anything, I meant to visit the Docks in Hartlepool and that definitely wasn't anything to do with selecting the wrong address in the sat nav.

but did we need to visit the docks again this season??
Once is an accident but any more than that is surely negligence??:finger:

Was that the Legendary Never-Ending Cup of Coke trip?

but did we need to visit the docks again this season??
Once is an accident but any more than that is surely negligence??:finger:

You didn't moan at the time; in fact I distinctly remember someone in the back of the car continually asking me "are we there yet? are we there yet?" all the way up the A1. I just assumed it was the docks you wanted to visit again......

.... for some reason or other :)

Back