• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fish

Manager
Watching the Northampton game and discussing with my brother the enigma that is Bilel Mohsni, it got me thinking about other players in his mould - you know, players who have liability and match-winning brilliance in equal measure, annihilate the opposition or implode taking the match with them, wear their heart on their sleeve, right on the edge sort of thing.

Could we make up an entire squad from Southend players of that ilk? To kick off, I've made some suggestions (including the Tunisian himself)...

GK -
LB -
CB - Leo Roget
CB - Bilel Mohsni
RB -
LM - Ricky Otto
CM - Lee Sawyer?
CM -
RM -
CF - Roy McDonough (maybe a bit short on the brilliance front, but certainly well stocked as a nutter)
CF -

GK -
LB -
CB - Leo Roget
CB - Bilel Mohsni
RB -
LM - Ricky Otto
CM - Lee Sawyer?
CM -
RM - Steven Clark
CF - Roy McDonough (maybe a bit short on the brilliance front, but certainly well stocked as a nutter)
CF -

Have added Clarkey as on his day he was great but sadly his day was once in a blue moon.

Are you after players who played on the edge or players who could as easily lose you a game as win it?

If it's the former, then I suggest Gareth Risbridger for the finest 90 seconds or derranged ferretry in SUFC history. Twas a veritable masterclass.

Also Stuart Thurgod was pretty good at dementedly chasing shadows. Like a particularly backwards spaniel.

If you're going in other direction, the likes of Mel Capelton, Simon Francis and Dave Morley were equally as capable of brilliance and insanity, although to various degrees they leant towards the latter.

Phil Gridelet. Saw him score an amazing goal away against Middlesbrough in their first promotion season to the prem. 1994/95 season I think.

I don't really think Ricky Otto belongs on that list - I don't recall him having many bad games for us, and his moments of brilliance far outweighed any petulance.

Mark warren was always getting sent off and that little prick we had and then was at gillingham and started giving the finger as he got sent off or sub'd. Cant think of his name but the bloke was a right tool

Mark warren was always getting sent off and that little prick we had and then was at gillingham and started giving the finger as he got sent off or sub'd. Cant think of his name but the bloke was a right tool

Stuart Thurgood?

Franny Laurent?

One minute would perform a Cruyff turn then the next make Jordi look better than his dad.

Mel Capleton in goal.
Simon Francis - seen some of the best and worst full back displays in a Southend shirt.
JCR
Tes Bramble

Given the over-riding representation of black players on the thread so far, can I just clarify I meant Marmite in the sense "love them or hate them". :blush:

Mel Capleton and Franny Laurent are both great shouts.

My memory of Ricky Otto is of a player who blew very hot and cold, even within a game, though he was nowhere near as psychologically fragile as some of his Marmite XI team mates.

Nevile Southall - genius for others but just lay on the floor for 90 mins for us.
Ricky Otto, was after he'd followed Judas away from us, but getting shot makes him a bit of a liability.

Back