• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
After a dismal day I got round to opening a couple of boxes of my old SUFC programmes, and other tat, which have been in the loft for more years than I can recall.

One item I had forgotten I still had (thought my mum had chucked it when I left home around 25 years ago) was a Wembley Trophy football, signed by the 1980-81 Division 4 winning squad. I remember this match so clearly, and the players throwing signed balls into the crowd. I was at the game with my dad and grandad, we were playing a friendly against Wolves, who were a leading club back then. I remember standing on the West stand terrace, and catching Ron Pountney's eye - he aimed one of the balls directly at me with a firm throw, to which the then 11 year old wannabe Southend No.1 caught instinctively as the surrounding supporters shouted "oi that's mine!" to which my dad then grabs and declares actually it's my sons and shoves the ball up his jumper. So, had it ever since.

IMG_1190.jpg

Having spend it's life in lofts, sheds and garages it's seen better day and most of the signatures have faded. I can still make out Dave Smith, Mervyn Cawston, Derek Spence, Tony Hadley, Terry Gray, Dave Cusack, Ron Pountney and Steve Yates.
IMG_1192.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1195.jpg
Am sure they are all there somewhere...

Anyone got any interesting SUFC memorabilia hidden in lofts or cupboards?

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Wolves, there, playing with two keepers!

Dave Axcell refereeing!

Some quality names in that match. I was there. Remember it well. :thumbsup:

Most of mine is up on the walls here's my list:

Southend United third kit red (Betterview) - My ex girlfriends dads mate is Freddy Eastwood's uncle and he got the shirt and got Freddy to go around and get it signed by the promotion winning team. It's framed and on my wall.

Darryl Flahavan signed shirt framed and on my wall.

Signed photo of Freddy Eastwood taking that free kick against united. Framed and on my wall.

Signed match worn Franck Moussa boots.

Kevin Betsy's match worn poppy shirt from when the club auctioned them off for the British Legion. Unframed but next to get framed!

2 signed match balls won in competitions not sure on the years.

A couple of random signed photos.

My latest one was a fluke! Sky Bet auctioned off a load of signed shirts with Poppy's on them for the British Legion. All of them seemed to be going for silly money so I stuck a £100 bid on our one which is this seasons shirt with a poppy on it and signed by the whole team. I picked it up for £55.

I've got loads of signed sporting memorabilia from all sorts of sports. Always looking to add to my collection too if people are wanting to sell :winking:

Southend United third kit red (Betterview) - My ex girlfriends dads mate is Freddy Eastwood's uncle and he got the shirt and got Freddy to go around and get it signed by the promotion winning team. It's framed and on my wall.

Signed photo of Freddy Eastwood taking that free kick against united. Framed and on my wall.

Kevin Betsy's match worn poppy shirt from when the club auctioned them off for the British Legion. Unframed but next to get framed!

My latest one was a fluke! Sky Bet auctioned off a load of signed shirts with Poppy's on them for the British Legion. All of them seemed to be going for silly money so I stuck a £100 bid on our one which is this seasons shirt with a poppy on it and signed by the whole team. I picked it up for £55.

I've got loads of signed sporting memorabilia from all sorts of sports. Always looking to add to my collection too if people are wanting to sell :winking:

I saw that 'Poppy' shirt on eBay too, total bargain! Well done for blagging that.

I saw that 'Poppy' shirt on eBay too, total bargain! Well done for blagging that.

I honestly thought I would be outbid when I stuck £100 bid on it. When I woke up after sleeping off a night shift and found I had won I thought it would be much closer to the £100.

I sponsored Dereke Spence's shirt in 1980/81 promotion season, currently hanging-up in my wardrobe.

I sponsored Dereke Spence's shirt in 1980/81 promotion season, currently hanging-up in my wardrobe.

I sponsored Tony Hadley's socks that year and had them for a while, that's all I could afford then:smile: Do have Richard Cadette's shirt from THE Stockport game in 1987. It's framed and I intend to give it back to the club to adorn the walls of the new ground. :stunned:

I sponsored Tony Hadley's socks that year and had them for a while, that's all I could afford then:smile: Do have Richard Cadette's shirt from THE Stockport game in 1987. It's framed and I intend to give it back to the club to adorn the walls of the new ground[ :stunned:

It will have rotted away with old age by then.

Mind you, most of us will have also.

Lots of signed shirts etc.
My weird one is a corner flag...allegedly from the division 4 championship season....was given to me as a gift from a patient. I have no way of verifying it's authenticity though.

Richie Foran's underpants. Dubiously stained, so I put them on the bonfire and they went up like Piper Alpha.

Interestingly I have a very recent souvenir, got it from the ref yesterday before the game. It was his ability to get any important decisions correct.

Any recommendations for where to get a shirt framed please! Thanks

Any recommendations for where to get a shirt framed please! Thanks

My signed away shirt was done as a gift by my parents it's stunning. I will get it off the wall and see if the company name is on the back. As for the Flahavan one I bought that off someone and I know it was done by the club who always got theirs done at Frameworks in Benfleet. http://www.frameworks-essex.com

To be honest most places do a good job just google it. The place that framed my Eastwood vs United picture did an amazing job too. They're in Chelmsford I think they do shirts but they are not cheap! It cost me about £60 to have the picture framed but the quality is first class. I will take some pictures when I get a chance and get you the names of the places when I've got a spare 5.

My signed away shirt was done as a gift by my parents it's stunning. I will get it off the wall and see if the company name is on the back. As for the Flahavan one I bought that off someone and I know it was done by the club who always got theirs done at Frameworks in Benfleet. http://www.frameworks-essex.com

To be honest most places do a good job just google it. The place that framed my Eastwood vs United picture did an amazing job too. They're in Chelmsford I think they do shirts but they are not cheap! It cost me about £60 to have the picture framed but the quality is first class. I will take some pictures when I get a chance and get you the names of the places when I've got a spare 5.

Thanks - appreciate that!

Bit off topic but I can't recommend Frameworks and I've known them refuse to do anything related to Southend in the past as their son was once on the youth books and then was dropped! Bit petty to turn away business but I've never forgotten that - there's also another personal reason, relating to a close friend of mine which means they'll never get a penny out of me ever again.

The Trust use a guy who used to have a shop in Benfleet High Road, he now does all his framing from his workshop at home. If you drop Beaver a line via the Trust info email, he'll get back to you with contact details. info@shrimperstrust.co.uk

Although much more recent, still got the commemorative T- shirt they were selling outside the Millenium Stadium after our play off win in 2005 ( and it still fits!).
Also they were selling them 1/2 price, as the guy was moaning no-one was buying any!.

Back