• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC Player of the Month, Aug 05 - As voted for by the SZ faithful...

• Flahavan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goater

• Gower

• Gray

• Guttridge

• Other (please state)

• Total voters

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
So, folks, who gets your vote for player of the month for August? Is it:

1. Darryl Flahavan - who has pulled off wonder saves this month, notably at Walsall; but most of whose saves have been in defensively poor matches, notably the League Cup debacle?

2. Shaun Goater - who started the month on the treatment table, but finished it with a brace against the Scum?

3. Marky Gower - who has also struggled with fitness, but who seems to be showing signs that he's on his way back to the form that won him Player of the Year in 03-04?

4. Wayne Gray - who scored a stunning goal in the season curtain raiser, and whose form and energy have kept Freddy in the shade?

5. Luke Guttridge - overrated and defensive against Scunthorpe according to Wiggy, but scored a cracking goal to seal the win at Bradford (his first for the Shrimpers) and was a clear man of the match against the Scum?

6. Or someone else (and in which case, have you taken your tablets yet)?

tounge.gif

As Founder and Chairman of SUGARS (see my sig), my vote goes to Luke Guttridge, who I believe will prove to be one of Tilly's shrewdest signings. However, you could make a case for all of them - and the sentimental so-and-so in me would be delighted to see the vote won by The Goat. How happy is he to be with the mighty Southend, and how happy are we to have him up front for us?

biggrin.gif

Get voting, folks.

Matt

I have gone for Gray. Solid performance from him during august. Has scored vital goals while Freddy hasn't quite found form yet.

I can't believe I voted for Darryl !

It was a shame Eagle didn't make it onto your list. Not necessarily because he has been particularly outstanding but in recognition of the fact he has spent so long biding his time and now seems to have grasped the opportunity he now has with open arms. A model professional imho.

I voted for DAZZA because some of his saves have most definatly kept us in games!!

wouldve have voted for LG but feel that he still has more to offer. as mentioned by matt, this could be tillys best signing to date. he has undoubted talent and think so far this season weve only seen a glimpse of this. but for me i had to go for gray, best ive seen of him in a southend shirt and a vast improvement on what we saw in the latter months of last season. well done wayne

blimey, tough call this:

The Goat for his 3 goals - 2 of which against the Scum?
Gray for improved performances?
Darryl for great saves?
Gutts for battling midfield performances?

Would like to see Eagle in there as well, as thought he was solid against Col Ewe - and obviously being his sponsor!

I think it has to be Guttridge for me

I've gone for Other (no-one). I just can't decide.

Flav's has made some good saves and has come out for the odd cross or two but still has his flaws; he's not commanding of his area and has been beaten twice from headers from INSIDE the 6 yard box whilst still stuck on his line.

Goater has been fed and done the business but, so far, his passing has been attrocious. I'm sure it'll improve and when it does, I hope sooner rather than later, he'll be even more of a threat than now.

Gower hasn't done near enough for my liking to warrant POTM. Looks to be getting some match fitness back at last though, as evident by the amount of defensive work he put in against Col Ewe.

Gray has had his bad games, notably Port Vale and Col Ewe, where he tried but it just weren't happening and, although I've been happier with him than last year, not up to POTM.

Guttridge is a strange case. If he keeps playing like Monday, I can see Bentley being asked to play wide right regularly with Gutts in the centre but, again, he's not been consistently better than any of the others for me to give him the accloade.

So no POTM from me.

Not that difficult a decision in my opinion (not that my opinion counts for much, but hey!!
smile.gif
). For me it has to be 'The Next Pele', for his performances against Bradford, Walsall and Huddersfield, and his wonder goal against Port Vale.

He has been a revalation this season, in a division most of us didnt think he would be able to cut it. He may have even surprised himself!!

Wayne doesnt often grab the limelight in the team, thats normally reserved for Freddie, and now The Goat, but I think he deserves this, and it will be nice for him to pick something up.

Wayne Gray, there's only one Wayne Gray, theres only one Wayne Gray

Voted for Gray, consistently good, reacting well to Goater's arrival by not sulking, instead playing out of his skin for us.

I voted for other. Maher wins it for me but its an extremely close call.

Flahavan, closely followed by Gray. Flahavan's made at least one top class save to keep us in the match in every game this month and Gray's had an excellent start to the season. He looks like a different player from last season, I hope the rumours about him going to Bristol Rovers in exchange of Agogo aren't true.

has boy wonder2 been to any games this year? flavs, eagle, barrett and gray have done fanastic. maher has been maher

Gray has played well and seems to have been involved in many of the goals. He was superb against Huddersfield.

Gower looks better than last season but no where near potm standard.

Gutteridge didnt impress me at all last season but he is growing on me, and I thought he was superb against col u, although had a dodgy 10 minutes with a couple of suicide balls. Think he will do well though.

For me Flahavan though, his saves against Huddersfield and col u, plus the one I didnt see at Walsall earnt us valuable points.

A difficult decision to make. I have been really impressed with Wayne this month. He has played consistently well and, if I'm honest, better than I was expecting him to.

But I went for Darryl, as he has pulled off stunning saves in every game I've seen so far. Plus he's the only one on the list I've bumped into in a Burger King queue!!

biggrin.gif

Back