• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Presumably that was why the crowds stayed away from Dave Webb's double promotion winning team as well then.

I think the more accurate charge against this current team is that it's defensive rather than long ball.

Our attendances now are a bit under the season total for the time we got out of this league.. If we are still there or thereabouts going into the last third of the season I reckon we will exceed 04/05 easily.. Our next League games at home are a Friday night v Bradford and a xmas holiday game..Those will both be decent crowds

This fan would step up if he lived a bit closer.

I don't expect to be showered with "freebies" or a life time of £1 tickets, just a realisation that some of us can't buy season tickets due to various reasons, so when the "big " games come about we're considered - definitely agreed second best to season ticket holders.

I knew I shouldn't have messed with capitalism. :unsure:

your always crying like a big girl, get over yourself girlfriend

I would have thought the current financial climate is more to blame for the relative low crowds rather than any malaise on the part of SUFC supporters.

Why not just do a loyalty points system thingy? few points for home games, more points for away games and going up to the other end of the country gets you lots of points?

Why not just do a loyalty points system thingy? few points for home games, more points for away games and going up to the other end of the country gets you lots of points?

To be perfectly honest travelling away, whilst giving a bit if a fillip to the team in the 90 minutes they are one the pitch does nothing to assist the club . Not a penny of the vast sums of money the way support spends goes to "support" the club.

Therefore any loyalty scheme which involves discounts to home games for fans who have travelled away will cost the club money as opposed to increasing revenue, which is, now we have stability on the field, the main priority

The winning team is great, that's the be-all-and-end-all as we need to get out of this division asap. The style of play clearly works or we wouldn't be top, Luggy is a master tactician and knows best on that front. However Tara may just have to accept that the attendances we had the last time we were promoted from this league were slightly higher due to the more attractive and entertaining football we played under Tilson. That's not a dig at Luggy whatsoever as he's doing a magnificent job but the fact is it's not just success but also the style in which you achieve it that goes hand-in-hand with attendances.

Personally I'd rather play direct and get out of this league but I can understand to an extent if a minority of supporters don't want to part with hard-earned cash to watch a long-ball side.

I don't personally believe that style of play has much sway on attendance levels...16 unbeaten is 16 unbeaten in any language. More pressing is how much it costs to come to football these days. I find it difficult to find the £40-£60 a month needed just for the ticket(s). Not to mention the obligatory few pints that go with it. I'm Joe Average with a very average wage with a car to run and a nipper to support......also a lifelong addiction to the Blues to fund. It's not getting any cheaper and I'm finding I have to 'cherry-pick' more games over the last few seasons than I have ever done before.

I don't personally believe that style of play has much sway on attendance levels...16 unbeaten is 16 unbeaten in any language. More pressing is how much it costs to come to football these days. I find it difficult to find the £40-£60 a month needed just for the ticket(s). Not to mention the obligatory few pints that go with it. I'm Joe Average with a very average wage with a car to run and a nipper to support......also a lifelong addiction to the Blues to fund. It's not getting any cheaper and I'm finding I have to 'cherry-pick' more games over the last few seasons than I have ever done before.

I totally agree, When I had a young family, mortgage etc it was difficult, I found I had to prioritise my spending, it came down to choice. I managed to afford to still attend games, but I had to cycle to the ground and forego matchday beers and my weekly night out down the pub. Football was the one luxury I had.

I wasn't talking discounts, I was talking who should get first dibs on tickets for big games.

I'm guessing the best way to look at the share thing is if you went and bought 20 shares in Tesco should you be entitled to more Clubcard points?

I wasn't talking discounts, I was talking who should get first dibs on tickets for big games.

I'm guessing the best way to look at the share thing is if you went and bought 20 shares in Tesco should you be entitled to more Clubcard points?

Tesco cards are usually given out annually to shareholders and in recent years to the value of £7.50.
British Arways give a 10% discount for shareholders and up to eight companions on BA flights.
Not all companies other any extra perks to shareholders but there are quite a few that do offer something.

With cash flow such a problem I am not suggesting SUFC do anything that would cost them money but do feel
priority after season ticket holders for any potential sell out games should be given to sharehoders.

Hopefully we will get one in January to find out :smile:

Tesco cards are usually given out annually to shareholders and in recent years to the value of £7.50.
British Arways give a 10% discount for shareholders and up to eight companions on BA flights.
Not all companies other any extra perks to shareholders but there are quite a few that do offer something.

With cash flow such a problem I am not suggesting SUFC do anything that would cost them money but do feel
priority after season ticket holders for any potential sell out games should be given to sharehoders.

Hopefully we will get one in January to find out :smile:

I stand corrected.

However, I'm guessing you wouldn't buy Tesco shares out of love for the shop...

I stand corrected.

However, I'm guessing you wouldn't buy Tesco shares out of love for the shop...

Generally no you would not it would probably have more to do with the love of getting a good return on your investment.
This would not be the case with those investing in a football club so feel a priority that would cost the club nothing is not too much to expect.

actually a loyalty card idea for home and away games may well work if it was something done by the entire league. It'd be good for the fans, but would it benefit the clubs enough to make it workable?

Yes, I know you qualified your initial statement with one saying you didn't mean discounts, but I'm just looking at it from a slightly different angle.

I once brought shares in Millwall as a potential investment when they were top of the championship for 3p a share. They got relegated the very same season and became worthless over night.
Never ever invest money in a football club expecting to make anything.
I apologise for investing in the South London numptys, but I do have 19 shares in the mighty shrimpers from which I expect to become a multi-millionare overnight.!!!!!!!!!!!

I once brought shares in Millwall as a potential investment when they were top of the championship for 3p a share. They got relegated the very same season and became worthless over night.
Never ever invest money in a football club expecting to make anything.
I apologise for investing in the South London numptys, but I do have 19 shares in the mighty shrimpers from which I expect to become a multi-millionare overnight.!!!!!!!!!!!
My pal did the same. However I'm sure they were on offer @ 1.5 pence. I watched them for months for him then they just seemed to disappear.

actually a loyalty card idea for home and away games may well work if it was something done by the entire league. It'd be good for the fans, but would it benefit the clubs enough to make it workable?

Yes, I know you qualified your initial statement with one saying you didn't mean discounts, but I'm just looking at it from a slightly different angle.
Can never understand why clubs fail to reward the away support. Something along the lines of twenty pounds off in the club shop if you buy five away tickets?

Back