• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC top of the league

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
ceefax.gif

As discussed in another thread.....

(Photo taken from Robin Michels website)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ Feb. 17 2005,13:34)]Cambridge have gone into decline even more than us, they were 3rd!
And I think they made the play-offs and FA Cup quarter final that year.

I can Remember David Webb being quoted as saying "The Premier League is not an impossible dream for us" that season.

Never mind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 17 2005,13:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ Feb. 17 2005,13:34)]Cambridge have gone into decline even more than us, they were 3rd!
Must have been about the time they had players such as Dion Dublin. Now they are worse than us!

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Feb. 17 2005,13:38)]I can Remember David Webb being quoted as saying "The Premier League is not an impossible dream for us" that season.

Never mind.
On the same note, I have an MPEG ( cheers Kenny ) of us beating Derby at the Baseball Ground with the commentator declaring that:

Tottenham have made a bid for Ricky Otto
Under Barry Fry the Premier$hite is a real possibility

ho hum

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 17 2005,13:36)]
[b said:
There was an article about Cambridge that season in WSC a couple of Months ago, they went top in the November.

In the bottom half of the table, but only just iir, was Grimsby. Cambridge , Grimsby and us had all been playing in the 4th division two seasons before, 3 teams got promoted two seasons running (Exeter were the other team promoted out of div 4 in 89-90

91-92 Cambrdge finished 5th
We were 12th
Grimsby 19th

90-91 was the last time we finished in the top half of any Division !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Feb. 17 2005,14:23)]91-92 Cambrdge finished 5th
We were 12th
Grimsby 19th

90-91 was the last time we finished in the top half of any Division !!
Erm, no it wasn't!

We finished 12th in 1991-2... i.e. top half!

We also finished 11th in 2000-01.

The stat you're looking for is the last time we finished in the top 10 of any division... and that was, indeed, 1990-91.

ghostface.gif

Incidentally, Cambridge had a pretty decent strikeforce in those days... Stevie Claridge & Dion Dublin. Not bad at all... poor buggers. If we've suffered, they've suffered even more.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Feb. 17 2005,14:39)]Where did it all go wrong?
For us?  Whelan, followed by Chipmunk - plus the fact that Vic's failing health meant that, quite literally, his heart was no longer in it.

For Cambridge?  In a sense, their greatest strength was their greatest weakness: John Beck.  His was a pretty tyrannical regime - cold showers, verbal and physical intimidation in training, the same sort of tactics on the pitch.  As Steve Claridge has said of that era, Cambridge was not a happy club... but whilst it was a successful club - with the players picking up regular win bonuses, and gaining successive promotions - they put up with it.

However, as soon as they reached their ceiling - and that was the 1992 playoffs - then it was all over.  Having held Leicester City 0-0 at the Abbey, Cambridge were then thrashed 5-0 at Filbert Street... and that was already the beginning of the end. The players certainly knew it was, and began to leave in their droves thereafter. Crucially, both Dublin and Claridge left in the summer of 1992.

And so, Cambridge were relegated at the end of the following season (1992-93) - whilst we spent a further 5 seasons up in the second flight - and never came back up.  Indeed, apart from a brief renaissance about three years ago, largely on the back of Trevor Benjamin's goal-scoring exploits, they've been in the bottom division most of the time since they were relegated in 92-93.

sad.gif

Matt

Just thought I would add an interesting note to this subject. At the time of the Newcastle game I was living in Accrington, Lancs and some friends took me to the Blackburn vs cambridge game that was played later that afternoon. It was an all ticket affair for the Blackburn fans, therfore I had to stand in the Cambridge end. I took great satisfaction in making those around me know that the Blues were top of the league at kick off. I survived, Rovers won but no one will be able to take away that feeling of having a unique feeling inside Ewood Park that afternoon. Despite the fact that it lasted only for a few hours.

Back