• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suggest A New Manager

Yes, Fry did have more than eight games.....it was NINE. Coincidentally the same as we now have remaining. In those games we took 16 points, including 2 of my all-time best games that I have seen; Sunderland 2 Blues 4, and Blues 1 West Ham 0. For that game alone, I would never run down Bazza the way many fans do.
Oh only nine games! I didn’t realise it was so few.

I think it all depends on what league we are in next season. For me Powell has to go regardless but the calibre of manager will depend on what happens between now and the end of this season.

If we stay up I’d like us to try and get Paul Hurst. I know he didn’t have the best of times at Ipswich but I don’t think you can put the blame all on him. He showed at Shrewsbury that with a budget he can get a tune out of his team at this level. Yes his style could be seen as a negative/direct approach but last season his shrews side were defensively sound and at times were very good going forward. I also think the fact he was dismissed so early on at Ipswich it a) leaves him in a position where he can’t be to picky about his next job and b) with a point to prove.

Should we go down though, I don’t think we’d be able to convince Paul that we are a club worth taking over at. I also have no idea who we’d be able to get in who is going to make us a team that could bounce straight back up, I suppose we could try and poach someone from a side that come close to getting promoted but failed.

Yes, Fry did have more than eight games.....it was NINE. Coincidentally the same as we now have remaining. In those games we took 16 points, including 2 of my all-time best games that I have seen; Sunderland 2 Blues 4, and Blues 1 West Ham 0. For that game alone, I would never run down Bazza the way many fans do.

Not forgetting the 3-0 home win against Bristol Rovers.

Not forgetting the 3-0 home win against Bristol Rovers.

To be fair beating the bottom side, who were 10 points behind us after the game doesn't have quite the same cachet as that wonderful match against West Ham.

Yes, but Stan's goals that night eh, Mick.

Never to be forgotten! :-

5981229.jpg

We always get the young and hungry non league talent when discussing players but I would seriously like us to look at this route when appointing our next manager. I would sacrifice the contacts within the game so many journeyman managers seem to have to get somebody who is just itching to prove their pedigree. There are so many students of the game who are getting their UEFA licences and spending nearly every bit of their spare time on football and giving their all for non league clubs on top of their day job. I know pro's that have dropped into non league and are amazed at the level of coaching. You get the same guys getting jobs and going through the motions when a fresh approach could see real progression in a club. We missed the boat with the Cowleys but there are more out there.

We always get the young and hungry non league talent when discussing players but I would seriously like us to look at this route when appointing our next manager. I would sacrifice the contacts within the game so many journeyman managers seem to have to get somebody who is just itching to prove their pedigree. There are so many students of the game who are getting their UEFA licences and spending nearly every bit of their spare time on football and giving their all for non league clubs on top of their day job. I know pro's that have dropped into non league and are amazed at the level of coaching. You get the same guys getting jobs and going through the motions when a fresh approach could see real progression in a club. We missed the boat with the Cowleys but there are more out there.

but this is where a decent DoF would come in - instill the ethos of the club, get the academy working alongside the main team, having continuity in its approach to recruitment at all levels - players and staff, including the manager. Leave player recruitment to someone else in partnership with the manager, so the manager concentrates on coaching and picking the side.

If Webby was any younger,this would be ideal for him. Failing that, Paul Brush would do a good job IMO.

but this is where a decent DoF would come in - instill the ethos of the club, get the academy working alongside the main team, having continuity in its approach to recruitment at all levels - players and staff, including the manager. Leave player recruitment to someone else in partnership with the manager, so the manager concentrates on coaching and picking the side.

If Webby was any younger,this would be ideal for him. Failing that, Paul Brush would do a good job IMO.

I see the value of this but I'm not sure a guy with contacts as DoF would be enough to persuade bigger names to come to Southend. Cox, Ferdinand, Kightly are all examples of players I don't believe would have joined if it wasn't for Phil Brown being manager. With these guys you have varying levels of success, Cox has been a good signing, Ferdinand was outstanding in his 1st season but deteriorated swiftly after that and Kightly has been a bad signing. So it can certainly be argued that the ability to attract "names" shouldn't be a primary concern. Especially given the reputed wages of the aforementioned 3. I still think the manager needs heavy involvement in the recruitment of players, I think a DoF model can work at a smaller club but it needs complete buy in from the man in charge and it needs to be a very diluted version of what happens at top clubs, with limited budget the manager has to be the man making the call on players IMO.

I see the value of this but I'm not sure a guy with contacts as DoF would be enough to persuade bigger names to come to Southend. Cox, Ferdinand, Kightly are all examples of players I don't believe would have joined if it wasn't for Phil Brown being manager. With these guys you have varying levels of success, Cox has been a good signing, Ferdinand was outstanding in his 1st season but deteriorated swiftly after that and Kightly has been a bad signing. So it can certainly be argued that the ability to attract "names" shouldn't be a primary concern. Especially given the reputed wages of the aforementioned 3. I still think the manager needs heavy involvement in the recruitment of players, I think a DoF model can work at a smaller club but it needs complete buy in from the man in charge and it needs to be a very diluted version of what happens at top clubs, with limited budget the manager has to be the man making the call on players IMO.

The issue really is we need a constant recruitment model. It's all very well attracting players, but if they're not right (too old, injury-prone, etc etc), what's the point? Brown has his players, tied into long contracts, so the next manager lives and dies by someone else's players - that doesnt seem fair to me. So if you have a proper consistent model, at all levels of the type of player you want (didnt Ron use to do due diligence?), then it's not the player or the model, it's the coaching/tactics, and it's easier to manage, and moreover, it's sustainable. We can easily instil into lower league clubs like ours - we dont need 2 assistants for a start! there's plenty of older players on massive deals purely because of their age etc. We could start afresh, only recruit players from around the M25, recruit players with sellon value, or have potential, and instil the Southend brand!

Now living among Ipswich Town supporters, they felt Paul Hurst was out of his depth. He was not helped by the Chairman selling some of the Club's best players during th close season. None of his summer signings were of the required standard. Not what we would be looking for.

We could start afresh, only recruit players from around the M25, recruit players with sellon value, or have potential, and instil the Southend brand!

Not the one used in the last two homes games I hope?

I'm not sure a guy with contacts as DoF would be enough to persuade bigger names to come to Southend. Cox, Ferdinand, Kightly are all examples of players I don't believe would have joined if it wasn't for Phil Brown being manager.

You're saying that like it would be a negative?

We've had to pay off Ferdinand, we're going to have to pay off Kightly this summer.

The most successful of the three, Cox, re-signed under a different manager anyway.

The issue really is we need a constant recruitment model. It's all very well attracting players, but if they're not right (too old, injury-prone, etc etc), what's the point? Brown has his players, tied into long contracts, so the next manager lives and dies by someone else's players - that doesnt seem fair to me. So if you have a proper consistent model, at all levels of the type of player you want (didnt Ron use to do due diligence?), then it's not the player or the model, it's the coaching/tactics, and it's easier to manage, and moreover, it's sustainable. We can easily instil into lower league clubs like ours - we dont need 2 assistants for a start! there's plenty of older players on massive deals purely because of their age etc. We could start afresh, only recruit players from around the M25, recruit players with sellon value, or have potential, and instil the Southend brand!

So you'd replace one assistant with a more expensive Director of Football?

We've had to pay off Ferdinand, we're going to have to pay off Kightly this summer.

The most successful of the three, Cox, re-signed under a different manager anyway.

So you'd replace one assistant with a more expensive Director of Football?

No, Id replace an assistant and let expensive contracts with players who dont fit into the model run down.

I don't see it as a negative at all, I think that a large proportion of the fanbase might though. I'll be the 1st to confess that at the point of signing the prospect of Cox, Ferdinand and Kightly all excited me. Whereas someone like Coker completely underwhelmed me at the time of signing. It's just a case of being patient and seeing what these relative unknowns bring rather than writing off the signings because we don't know much about them.

Once you are established at a club and set up home in the area etc, it is a bit of a different scenario. Plus he's a couple of years older now

Back