• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suggest A New Manager

Do we rush into appointing a new manager with the hope that he could keep us up this season? Or do we take a bit of time and appoint someone with the view of getting us back into League One as soon as possible???

Do we rush into appointing a new manager with the hope that he could keep us up this season? Or do we take a bit of time and appoint someone with the view of getting us back into League One as soon as possible???
Try and stay in league one every time, we’ll be stuck in league two for a number of seasons again

We should appoint a manager ASAP with the hope he can keep us up.
As well as having a great overview of leagues 1 and 2 along with non league for finding hungry players.
Everything should be done to preserve league one status.

This is the thing.....

I honestly don’t believe we’d have gone down with CP in charge.

You can agree or disagree and we can discuss it till the cows come home and it’s entirely arbitrary but that’s my honest opinion.

I think experience between him and his staff and the evidence that he really did still have a dressing room behind him are enough to convince me that we would’ve got minimum 1 more point over the next 8 games than any of the bottom 4 would’ve.

Now we may still stay up. We have to be realistic and say that there are still four teams below us and a couple around us that are in either worse or similar positions as us....

However with this uncertainty in mind we have to ask two questions:-

1. What would it achieve to bring in a temporary manager for 6 games?

2. What would it achieve to rush into a permanent appointment not knowing which division we will be in which will severely affect that mans choices on recruitment / budgets / staff etc

Personally my feeling is a temporary manager is a total waste of time.... What can he possibly do?
It showed Saturday that the same problems exist. We still have a shortage of strikers. We still have a few players that are either severely unfit or seriously past it. We still concede poor goals whoever is in goal.
We have the same players and the same issues we had two weeks ago and they’ll be the same problems we have in two weeks time regardless of who is in temporary charge.

Anyone believing a new temporary manager will work a sudden upturn in work rate due to the fear of their futures is deluded. You saw as much of that on Saturday as you are ever likely to see. The players aren’t stupid. They know Ricky won’t get the job full time and they will also know if someone’s appointed in a temporary role that this has no bearing on their long term roles anyway....that will only be affected by the thought of someone coming in full time and who will potentially be releasing them or not playing them for the next year or two!!

So a temporary appointment is literally working under the exact same position as CP was.

A new permanent appointment? Well let’s agree that we are all a little underwhelmed by the short list so far...

Do we choose someone based on being in league 1 or league 2? Will that affect who actually wants the job? Why they want it? What their remit will be for next season? Will league 2 mean a different budget? A player cull? Wage cuts? Will it affect the new managers wage...I mean if the players have a relegation clause then surely he does too?

If we stay up is the remit to push for promotion? In which case the new manager will need funds that can’t be promised until we know we are staying up. If we are relegated will the remit be to come straight up with current squad or will it be to use the young players and set up a three year sustained charge based on homegrown talent?

There are too many questions for me. Too many unanswered and unanswerable questions for anyone to consider committing to the club...moving house, uprooting their family, changing their kids schools....for a situation that will possibly change completely in 6 weeks time.

So it brings me back to this....Ricky? Short term replacement? Long term replacement?

If these three options, It can only realistically be Ricky Duncan......which begs this question....is he bringing anything to the table that Chris Powell wasn’t....and so was it worth the upheaval, was it worth the gamble....was it worth the risk and the unsettling and the pay off!!!!!

Lastly, just consider this.....

Chris Powell has just lost his job at another league 1 side....he’d had a side full of youngsters and was managing injuries and a poor run of form at his previous club that was almost unprecedented....despite this he had kept them out of the relegation zone using academy kids and a couple of decent loan signings that he’d managed on the back of his extensive contacts and good reputation in the game......

Where would he sit on the popularity list in terms of taking over at Southend now ahead of sticking with the academy manager who has no football league experience in temporary charge....?

My bet is he’s be a very popular choice and most would be pretty confident that he’d keep us up.....

Hindsight is wonderful but have our chances of staying up seriously improved by changing manager?

Back