• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suggest A New Manager

Someone doing a good job in lower league Peter Taylor, had a worse set up than CP in his torrid time at Roots Hall and paid the price, but decent record since

Powell kept us up last season. So I can’t really see how that can be forgotten so quickly.

I agree with stick by him if we don’t stay up give him 10 games next season if we aren’t top 7 then revaluate.

Powell kept us up last season. So I can’t really see how that can be forgotten so quickly.

I agree with stick by him give him 10 games next season if we aren’t top 7 then revaluate.
Top 7 in league 2? Because that’s the only division we are going to be in at this rate

Plenty of options out there who would I'm sure take it til the end of the season and maybe further as a project, at football league level and not looking at delusional big names way out of budget. Depending on finances I'd say possibly Ian Holloway, Darrell Clarke, Steve Evans, Gary Rowett, Paul Hurst & Paul Clement as well as some more obscure

Pa
Plenty of options out there who would I'm sure take it til the end of the season and maybe further as a project, at football league level and not looking at delusional big names way out of budget. Depending on finances I'd say possibly Ian Holloway, Darrell Clarke, Steve Evans, Gary Rowett, Paul Hurst & Paul Clement as well as some more obscure

I am hoping Chris Powell can weather the storm and keep us up. I do not think Ron Martin wants to sack him, but he must be desperate to see signs of a turn around in Southend's form very soon.

I think Ron Martin and Steve Evans have known each other quite a long time. I seem to recall Steve Evans going out of his way to praise the Southend Chairman in the past when managing Peterborough (I think). Of the names mentioned above, I also think (and I am probably completely wrong) Paul Hurst or Gary Rowett might interest Ron. Both have done well in the past in the lower divisions on modest budgets and it is no secret that Southend do not have money to throw around.

I agree with stick by him if we don’t stay up give him 10 games next season if we aren’t top 7 then revaluate.
Anyone kept us up last season.

We are on more danger this year than last year aswell.

Until that final season Brown improved is year on year. What’s Powell done!?? Taken us backwards

Darrell Clarke would be my first choice. Did a great job at Bristol Rovers over a long period until this season. Still pretty young too. Not sure I'd feel comfortable supporting a team managed by Steve Evans.

However, I think Powell will ride this out and we'll stay up. Ron is patient with managers and we don't want to become one of those clubs who change their manager every year.

I always try and make a point of not criticising the current manager. I din't with Phil Brown and I'm not going to with Chris Powell. The only guy that matters on this front is Uncle Ron. I doubt very much whether the views on here are listened to by him, even though I understand why people post them. What will be will be they say, and so it will this time round.

For what it's worth, I still beieve we will escape the drop, but if the worst happens we will zoom straight back up with the squad we have fully fit.

Powell now seems to be talking as if the game is up. That’s a shame and a reason why you should never go back - take note Messrs Barrett and Maher. Agree with others that he’s delivered less than the much maligned Brown and you have to say in hindsight that Coughlan should have been given a chance. Disagree with others that we done have much money when the TV tells me we have the 5th highest wage bill in the league - relative to our competition we spend well.
We’re in trouble but we’re not adrift. I think we should stick with CP although games like Wimbledon are beginning to look ‘crunch’. If we look like we are going to get cut adrift, someone like the escapologist Martin Allen would be my choice to save our season.

Yeah no, a nights sleep hasn’t improved my mood after last nights abysmal result. I think even the most patient of supporter have had enough judging by reactions on here.

Chris Powell was great end of last season. He did a fantastic job, I think we can all agree on that.

We've huffed and puffed this season, under very difficult circumstances, but now we really seem to be on our last legs. Belief is evaporating. Staying up is absolutely crucial so it could well be time for a change.

However, management isn't ALL about results. (1) Powell has managed our youngsters well. They will have learned a lot this season. And Powell hasn't run them down in public when they have struggled. Not all these kids will make it at L1 level but some will. (2) Powell has signed two very promising strikers in Hopper and Humphrys (unfortunately both injured). Our previous manager didn't have a good eye for strikers (but then I think he understood midfielders better). Powell also signed Lennon who could prove to be very useful in the future. That's two, potentially three players who can form the spine of our team in the future.

People thought Murphy and Wignall were crap managers and yes, to a large degree they were. But they did respectively sign Stan Collymore and Mark Gower, two absolute giants of SUFC history.

My point: If Powell were to depart this week, he would, by and large, have done a decent job for Southend.

Ron won't sack unless we have a replacement lined up. But when he didn't, Tilly surprised everyone. (We almost got Ian Atkins)

Dont think it'll be Evans, unless he and Ron share the same HRMC advisors.

Why not look outside the box? Dave Challinor is doing great guns at Fylde.
Stephen Robinson at Motherwell's another one who Luton were after before getting Harford.

I'm not sure Barrett is a good idea, he'll get the crowd going but none of the squad have a clue who he is. Motivation is a major problem with this squad and I'm not sure a man with no managerial experience that none of them know is going to install confidence in them.

Agree I know Sir Adam would give it his all....but its not fair throwing him into a Dunkirk. if Kev and Ricky want a crack then their going in with their eyes open!

If (and when) Powell gets the boot it'll be Maher and/or Duncan. We can't afford anyone else as well as pay off Powell and his management crew (though knowing Ron, he'll hang onto the money until he's forced to pay up by the legal system).

Maher/Duncan know the players, they've no doubt seen them train. If we still go down under them then it's no shame and no blot on their career.

If (and when) Powell gets the boot it'll be Maher and/or Duncan. We can't afford anyone else as well as pay off Powell and his management crew (though knowing Ron, he'll hang onto the money until he's forced to pay up by the legal system).

Maher/Duncan know the players, they've no doubt seen them train. If we still go down under them then it's no shame and no blot on their career.

Ron proved last season he wasn't afraid to give it to them, the game just got postponed. So never get the 'who do we get in' argument. It'll be them 2

I agree to a point, but do you honestly think that they wouldn’t be judged for the remainder of this season, by some?

And then the real pressure would begin next season. Regardless what division we’re in, if Maher & Duncan hadn’t got us fighting at the top of the league, the sentiment would be; well they gave it a go, but sadly they’re not good enough.

That, then becomes a blot on their careers.

Is it worth the risk? Duncan has been here for years & Done a fantastic job. But that doesn’t mean it will transfer across to the top job. Maher seems to be following that path.

It seems a big risk, from our point of view, aswell as theirs.

I agree to a point, but do you honestly think that they wouldn’t be judged for the remainder of this season, by some?

And then the real pressure would begin next season. Regardless what division we’re in, if Maher & Duncan hadn’t got us fighting at the top of the league, the sentiment would be; well they gave it a go, but sadly they’re not good enough.

That, then becomes a blot on their careers.

Is it worth the risk? Duncan has been here for years & Done a fantastic job. But that doesn’t mean it will transfer across to the top job. Maher seems to be following that path.

It seems a big risk, from our point of view, aswell as theirs.

I'd imagine M&D would only be temporary. Then over the break Ron would hire a new permanent manager. As Naps said, I'd rather we "thought outside the box" rather than jump on the revolving mangerial merry-go-round and employ someone like Evans.

Back