• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
The arrival of David Gold and David Sullivan at Upton Park is the best news that West Ham United fans could have asked for this year. Their team may be locked into a relegation battle, their money long since squandered on shoddy goods, but finally they have people in the boardroom who know what they're doing. In their 16 years in the Midlands, Gold and Sullivan transformed Birmingham City from second flight pretenders to Premier League scrappers, forging a club so solid and sensibly-run that they survived two relegations, bouncing straight back on both occasions.

Sullivan's suggestion that he and his partner can bring Champions League football to Upton Park inside seven years might betray a touch of over-excitement, but there's no doubt that things are finally looking up for the Hammers. Stability is everything in the hysterical world of top flight football and, for all of the criticism that the pair incurred at Birmingham, they were never impatient with their managers. Steve Bruce and Alex McLeish were both given the opportunity to bring the Blues back up after relegation and Trevor Francis was given every chance of success in his five and a half year tenure prior to that. Compare and contrast with West Ham who sacked Alan Pardew six months after finishing ninth and narrowly missing out on the FA Cup. Or Alan Curbishley, undermined and constructively dismissed after somehow dragging an injury-ravaged side to 10th. West Ham need to settle down.

Some fans have already begun the bombardment of the internet messageboards, complaining that Sullivan and Gold lack the finances to make West Ham genuine contenders. Well, here's the news, so does everyone else on the planet. Even Manchester City are finding that they can't buy success with just a flash of their chequebook. Football has changed since Roman Abramovic smashed Arsenal and Manchester United's dominance with heavy investment. When everyone has money to waste, medium sized clubs miss out on the big names and are forced to gamble their future on expensive, but flawed talents. West Ham fans should have learned that lesson better than anyone. Some Birmingham fans complained that Sullivan and Gold were reticent to spend heavily on their team, but they are oblivious of the fact that that sensible management prevented the club from imploding the second that something went wrong. Look at Leeds and Newcastle, who spent money before they'd earned it. Both bigger clubs than Birmingham, both left in a far worse state when they splashed down in the second division.

Unless there is some kind of seismic shift in the balance of power in football, West Ham are not going to challenge for the title for a long, long time, but they can at least survive in the top flight now. Under the lunatic management of the previous two regimes, not to mention the phenomenally unpopular reign of Terence Brown, that much was never certain. Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke are an excellent management team. They believe that football should be played properly, they are willing to give young English players a chance to shine and, with their calm demeanour and class, they are an excellent example to others. If they are backed and if they are supported, there's just a chance that West Ham can return to their former position as the Academy of Football. Sullivan and Gold have a lot of work to do, but history suggests that they'll have a better chance than most of salvaging this famous old club.

It sounds almost like you *want* them to succeed there?

How dare you, sir!

I'm only keen to see my one of my footballing maxims in action.

"Running a football club is really ****ing easy. Pick a proven manager, put him in charge, devote your life to providing him with as much money as can be accumulated without putting the business at risk. Then back the **** off and leave him alone."

You could have put the PG chimps in the boardroom at Upton Park four years ago and they'd have done a better job than the jokers who ended up there.

"Running a football club is really ****ing easy. Pick a proven manager, put him in charge, devote your life to providing him with as much money as can be accumulated without putting the business at risk. Then back the **** off and leave him alone."

A certain Mr Martin could do with applying specific elements of that statement...

How dare you, sir!

I'm only keen to see my one of my footballing maxims in action.

You could have put the PG chimps in the boardroom at Upton Park four years ago and they'd have done a better job than the jokers who ended up there.

That's Ok then, just checking...

Id rather he didnt save them. I would like to see them relegated, lose all there decent players and just hopefully one day disapear off the face of the world.

Good post Slipper.

What Gold and Sullivan offer is the ability to run a business and football club that is not in the red. They don't strike me as ruthless but they will go about their business with a stern outlook and tough approach and get rid of dead wood. For with Birmingham they took over a side that were in the lower leagues and built up financial success. They are not the most wealthy owners out there or potential owners but they are possibly one of the best sets of owners you could wish for to balance your books and help the business generate profit.

I don't forsee the pair of them flashing the cash to West Ham and I don't expect to see big name signings. What I do expect is shrewd business investments, perhaps a salary cap on players' wages just like at Spurs, who also turnover profit. They will speak with Zola and bring in players with a workrate and passion that want to be at West Ham. They have both supported West Ham and do understand what the fans feel and the history of the club and what West Ham fans appreciate.

As you say Slipper, fans will be on the messageboards bemoaning this 'boring' takeover. However, my view is that they should be happy that in 5/10 years they are more than likely going to have a football club to follow rather than a club riddled with debts and the prospect of administration! Unfortunately the working class background of football fans still shines through and fans do not acknowledge that there is so much more than on the field success at a football club that contributes to the overall success.

I do see one of West Ham's best bets to be the continuing good work of their youth academy. Keeping Tony Carr on and offering him the support he needs to continue to develop some of the best crop of youngsters that the country has seen. Zola is the right man to get hold of that talent and nurture it through to the next level. Most will have sympathy with Mark Hughes the man ousted at Man City and many will recognise the turnaround that Moyes has had at Everton this season after a torrid start they are now on a 7 game unbeaten run. Football is a corrupt business and often there is too much change. I think Gold and Sullivan will bring stability and take West Ham forward but they are right in thinking that their first main challenge is Premiership survival. With Blackburn, Hull, Portsmouth and Wolves in their next four games this would be a perfect time to use this new found stability at the club to push on and get past that 40 point mark.

As you say Slipper, fans will be on the messageboards bemoaning this 'boring' takeover. QUOTE]

Have you seen Sky Sports News? Some brilliant voxpops there

"I fink they should 'ave gone for them Americans." - Well, it worked for Liverpool and Manchester United....

"First fing they wanna do is get rid of Zola. That's my personal opinion." - As opposed to your professional opinion, madam?

A well written and sensible piece as always Slipper, but in my personal opinion (not my professional opinion which is of course at the polar opposite), West Ham's survival in the Premier League ranks 9 billionth on my list of concerns, just behind global warming.

A well written and sensible piece as always Slipper, but in my personal opinion (not my professional opinion which is of course at the polar opposite), West Ham's survival in the Premier League ranks 9 billionth on my list of concerns, just behind global warming.

In my personal opinion I am very concerned about Wet Sham's premier league survival: the thought appals me.

Is Brady's role more cosmetic or is it actually hands on? I did think she was leaving Football for good after her brain scare last year. Presumably, the scare was that she was actually developing one...

I'm just a tiny, little bit, ever so slightly jealous of this move... I was getting all excited when the director of Cagliari was being linked with a move to purchase the club. The convicted fraudster who denounced the racial abuse of Mario Balotelli last week as "Nothing" would've gone down a storm. As it happens, this is the most sensible decision I've seen from a football club's board in some time, if not, ever.

I know you have to appease your paylords Slip ... but i'm sorry i to have to give you red rep for that appaling load of pro W*** H** bollocks

If they burn in hell and are re-incarnated as Hitler i couldn't hate them more

Is Brady's role more cosmetic or is it actually hands on? I did think she was leaving Football for good after her brain scare last year. Presumably, the scare was that she was actually developing one...

Maybe she will give Zola the heave-ho to install Paul Peschisolido as manager

Back