• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I keep reading that Tomlin is definitely going at the end of the season. I realise he is out of contract, has had a good season and will therefore attract interest. However, from what people are writing it seems he has a done deal somewhere. Is that right? Have I missed something?

I hope we have a big clear out over the summer.....bored of this lot now. (It would be nice to get some decent replacements in of course)

Would like to keep Smith, Laird, Phillips & Timlin (the 2 legged versions), Tomlin & Corr - but any of the others not bothered if they go or stay.......In fact a complete fresh start might be just what we need.

Not much point in discussing those who are contracted beyond this season - come on, who's going to sign Straker? If we had more money I'd pay him to cancel his contract but sadly we're not really in that position. From those who are out of contract:

Bentley
- definitely keep. It's good having an experienced keeper and a youngster battling it out for the number 1 jersey.
Clohessy - would love to keep but imagine he'll move. He's the kind of player you don't notice but surely some scouts have noticed him? Especially as he's scored a couple of goals and been captain this season.
Leonard - keep. I'm not a huge fan but he's a useful squad player, dangerous long throw and we seem to have a good record when he's in the team. Plus he's still young and improving.
Prosser - keep. Probably our most improved player during Sturrock's reign.
Coughlan - surely he's going to hang his boots up.
Barker - release. Been a good servant but he's past it.
Spicer - release. Pointless signing.
Spillane - not been impressed by him so far but willing to keep him on.
Woodyard - not sure if he's out of contract but I'd keep him. He's done well whenever he's played this season, tidy player.
Timlin - worth keeping if our form since he got injured is anything to go by. Look at what happened with Corr.
Tomlin - if rumours on here are to be believed, he'll be off.
Corr - definitely keep. Never lets us down.

So that leaves us with a squad of Smith, Bentley, Prosser, Cresswell, Phillips, Straker, Hurst, Timlin, Spillane, Leonard, Laird, Woodyard, Corr, Eastwood and Harris. Have I missed anyone? I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Lund, can't see Reeves or Assombalonga staying though. Send Njie out on loan. So we'd need to sign at least a right-back, another centre-back, left-back, left-winger and a couple of strikers (preferably younger). I don't think we need a huge transformation in the summer. We have the basis of a good squad. With the right signing and loans we could challenge for promotion again. Simple eh... :unsure:

Dump most of them and start from scratch. I had reservations about this lot since we lost 6-0 to Spurs U21 in pre-season. It's very strange as many of them don't seem that fussed when surely a few will have normal jobs like the rest of us next season.

And if Woodyard is not retained, time to take a look at the youth system as nothing comes through, Kane excepted. Bentley I think came from Arsenal a couple of years ago. There's a few 'sick notes' in the team as well, we need players who can last aseason.

On Sunday I heard from more than one person that Brian Horton would be coming in as Assistant Manager - would assume that means GC is out on his ear...

My twopennies worth:

Bentley - Keep
Clohessy - Would like to keep, but heard from too many different people that he is going to MK Dons.
Barker - Leave
Prosser - Leave
Coughlan - Retire and probably out to be replaced by Brian Horton
Timlin - Keep (but when will he be back?) .i
Woodyard - Keep
Leonard - Keep, but as he is essentially a right back playing in midfield, why don't we play him there?
Spicer - Leave
Spillane - Keep
Benyon - Leave
Corr - Keep
Tomlin - Keep, but is probably going to Gillingham.
Njie - Keep
Moshni - bye, bye

GK; Smith, Bentley and Chambers
DEF: Straker, Phillips and Cresswell.
MID: Timlin, Woodyard, Leonard. Hurst, Laird and Spillane
FWD: Corr, Harris Eastwood and Njie.

I hope PB's contacts book is good... And doesn't just have Big Sam's number in it.

Dump most of them and start from scratch. I had reservations about this lot since we lost 6-0 to Spurs U21 in pre-season. It's very strange as many of them don't seem that fussed when surely a few will have normal jobs like the rest of us next season.

And if Woodyard is not retained, time to take a look at the youth system as nothing comes through, Kane excepted. Bentley I think came from Arsenal a couple of years ago. There's a few 'sick notes' in the team as well, we need players who can last aseason.

Bit harsh as it's only been active for several years and would take decades to become a product that will bring in a few players a year to the first team. It will get harder with the new EPP ruling as any club can now snatch our youngsters for peanuts. Chambers came from Arsenal and they took one of our keepers. We've sold quite a few to Premiership clubs, with Ngoo possibly doing the best out of the lot so far.

As for the 6-0 loss in pre-season, it was hardly a game to judge them on and wouldn't surprise me if most of those players in the Spurs team are on loan at Championship/top League 1 sides.

I would ditch the lot of them at a motorway service station after our last away game and start again from scratch.

This is what I do with my kids pets when they get bored of them.

Kane Ferdinand is 20 and playing championship football, and Franck Moussa is 23 and playing at the top end of league one.

If we can produce one player of that calibre every couple of seasons we are doing well.

Add in 18yo della Verde (sold to Fulham) and Ngoo (sold to Liverpool) who is on loan at Hearts playing in the SPL aged 20 and there's maybe a little more hope.

Where we are probably missing out is developing squad players - cheap players who can fill out a squad and can develop over time. We want to be producing our own Luke Prossers and Ryan Leonards. Not necessarily stars but very handy squad players who can go onto earn regular starting roles. It's not all about developing stars.

ps Whilst Bentley didn't come through the system from aged 12, we were able to sign him because of the youth structure we had in place.

Serious question... (I'm not :net:, promise) but why has Spicer been completely ousted from the squad? I actually thought he was quite a tidy player for us when he got a run in the first team at the start of the season. Don't think he deserved to be completely dropped and never to be seen again. Surely more to it than meets the eye?

Just sack all the players and start again. If we wont promotion. Otherwise next season will be the same.

i think you might find that our Youth set Up is held in such high regard by some PL clubs that some of the staff running it may be destined for greater glory

Smith - Leave he is just not good enough.
Bentley - Keep
Clohessey - Keep
Cresswell - Keep
Phillips - Leave
Prosser - Keep
Barker - Leave
Straker - Leave
Hurst - Leave
Timlin - Keep
Laird - Keep
Leonard - Keep
Corr - Keep
Tomlin- Keep
Eastwood - Keep
Harris - Leave
Mohsni - Leave

Bentley - Keep
Clohessey - Keep
Cresswell - Keep
Phillips - Leave
Prosser - Keep
Barker - Leave
Straker - Leave
Hurst - Leave
Timlin - Keep
Laird - Keep
Leonard - Keep
Corr - Keep
Tomlin- Keep
Eastwood - Keep
Harris - Leave
Mohsni - Leave

Aren't these under contract until 2014? If so then I can't see them leaving. Apart from Hurst, I'd agree with all of that.

Right, pinched from the Squad Contracts sticky, ones in GREEN are under contract so will likely be staying as I can't see them being sold, the rest, I've put what I think alongside
GK:
Paul Smith 2014
Dan Bentley 2013 - Keep
Luke Chambers 2014 (Out on loan at Bishops Stortford until end of season)

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013 - Keep
Chris Barker 2013 - Release
Mark Phillips 2014
Luke Prosser 2013 - Keep
Anthony Straker 2014
Ryan Cresswell 2014
Graham Coughlan 2013 - Retire

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013 - Keep
Alex Woodyard 2013 - Release
Kevan Hurst 2014
Ryan Leonard 2013 - Keep
John Spicer 2013 - Release
Marc Laird 2014
Tamika Mkandawire (on loan from Millwall) - No chance, far too good for our level
Ben Reeves (on loan from Southampton) - No thank you, liked him but he'll go somewhere higher
Micky Spillane 2013 - Release
Matt Lund (on loan from Stoke) - Offer contract

FWD:
Elliot Benyon 2013 - Release
Neil Harris 2014
Barry Corr 2013 - Keep
Gavin Tomlin 2013 - Tough, would love to keep him but can't see it
Freddy Eastwood 2014
Britt Assombalonga (on loan from Watford) - Would keep if decent terms agreed
Bilel Mohsni 2013 - Release
Seedy Njie 2013 - Keep (could be our own Britt!)

Last edited:
Bentley - Keep
Clohessey - Keep
Cresswell - Keep
Phillips - Leave
Prosser - Keep
Barker - Leave
Straker - Leave
Hurst - Leave
Timlin - Keep
Laird - Keep
Leonard - Keep
Corr - Keep
Tomlin- Keep
Eastwood - Keep
Harris - Leave
Mohsni - Leave

Hurst leave???

He certainly isnt showing the form of pre- Christmas, but he still has 14 assists this year. Definitely a keeper. Not a goal keeper. A keeper keeper.

Using Cricko's list:

Bentley - Keep
Clohessey - Keep, but we won't
Cresswell - Keep (just)
Phillips - Leave (fitness doubts)
Prosser - Keep
Barker - Shoot
Straker - Shoot twice, to make sure
Hurst - Keep
Timlin - Leave (can't pass, can't shoot, running about a lot isn't enough)
Laird - Keep
Leonard - Keep (just)
Corr - Keep
Tomlin- Keep but seems we won'y
Eastwood - Keep
Harris - Leave
Mohsni - Really don't know

If we playing this game then I'd do the following with our squad

GK:
Paul Smith 2014 Keep, ensure we have competition for the keepers jersey
Dan Bentley 2013 - Keep , looking to be our future number 1 surely
Luke Chambers 2014 Keep (Out on loan at Bishops Stortford until end of season)

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013 - Keep, Sean is surely first name on the sheet, thou imagine he'll get better offers
Chris Barker 2013 - Release, been great for us but getting done for pace at full back
Mark Phillips 2014 Keep, when fit Mark and Cressy are solid partnership
Luke Prosser 2013 - Keep, Luke has improved season on season, versatile as can operate RB and CB
Anthony Straker 2014 Release, has been appalling for us
Ryan Cresswell 2014 Keep for sure
Graham Coughlan 2013 - Retire, he's not played this season can't imagine he would next

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013 - Keep, a must for us
Alex Woodyard 2013 - Keep, liked Woody when he did get games
Kevan Hurst 2014 Keep, no brainer, Hursty's looked shattered recently but he's undoubted quality at our level
Ryan Leonard 2013 - Keep, Ryan hasn't played alot but we seem not to no lose many when he does so offers something
John Spicer 2013 - Release, was a stop gap signing when we couldn't get Tam and Laird in due to embargo
Marc Laird 2014 - Keep, Lairdy has been solid in CM sign joining from the Sad O's
Ben Reeves (on loan from Southampton) - he'll go back to Saints and will play higher level the L2
Micky Spillane 2013 - Release, seen nothing from him since he arrived from Daggers
Matt Lund (on loan from Stoke) - same as Reeves was snubbed for JPT surely wouldn't stay
Tamika Mkandawire (on loan from Millwall) - Keep so solid and experienced but likely to play higher than L2
FWD:
Elliot Benyon 2013 - Release, just hasn't worked for Elliot at the Hall
Neil Harris 2014 Keep if Neil can get fit his experience will be invaluable
Barry Corr 2013 - Keep, fully fit BBBC is our key to scoring goals next season if service to him is right
Gavin Tomlin 2013 - Keep, tough, would love to keep him but can't see it he can play higher
Freddy Eastwood 2014 Release It was a great fairytale but Freddy is carrying injuries and just not the same player
Britt Assombalonga (on loan from Watford) - Would keep but destin to play Championship or L1 surely
Bilel Mohsni 2013 - Release, time for Bilel to go to pastures new, the gamble bringing him back just didn't work
Seedy Njie 2013 - Keep, heard good things, time for Seedy to play or get loaned out to Conference level to get games

Back