• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks as always BW2, much appreciated insight.

Reading between the lines with no inside knowledge it wouldn’t surprise me if the two being looked at moving on are Fonguck and Powell. It also sounds positive that Bridge might be one of those ready to sign on, it would be a huge coup if we got him to stay with us in the NL.
Maybe Clifford too?

Reactions: fbm
Sadly this signing anybody is a no go show .Untill the embargo is lifted .And under mr Martin thats a no go .Days are slipping by for new players to walk into Southend united .

Thanks as always BW2, much appreciated insight.

Reading between the lines with no inside knowledge it wouldn’t surprise me if the two being looked at moving on are Fonguck and Powell. It also sounds positive that Bridge might be one of those ready to sign on, it would be a huge coup if we got him to stay with us in the NL.
Mooney and Taylor or Powell for me.

Mooney - injuries have played a part, formations have played a part, but he’s had enough chances and just didn’t show enough.

Taylor - not sure who said it, but apparently he’s one of the highest paid at the club, if that’s true then he’s not worth it and we can do better.

Powell - don’t even know where to start! Poor finisher, and too weak, despite being built like a brick sh*t house

Last edited:
Surely it'll be Clifford being moved on, although not until the embargo is lifted.

I'm not sure why people want Powell to move on a year early, he played very well at the start of the season and always made an impact.

Fonguck scored 2 goals in 35 appearances 943 minutes per goal), Powell scored 8 in 40 (233 minutes per goal). And you want to keep Wes over Callum....? Powell's assist is better than Fonguck's too.

Actually, I would like to keep them both.

Me too.
Both would benefit from regular game time in a more settled attack/ midfield and playing game on game with same partners.
Injury and squad shortage cost us as much last season as poor refs and such.

The truth is as much as we've had a nightmare season off the pitch, this squad was on the brink of playoffs, despite not being able to strengthen near the business end of the season, and the league is likely to be weaker this year with the promotions and relegations. The team doesn't need much changing and as excited as I am about the new owners I'm hoping for a future that doesn't involve embargoes and getting into a new stadium rather than expecting that they will throw Wrexham type cash at it. I think the key will be replacing the leavers with slightly better rather than losing too many of the current squad.

If we can improve on Hyde, Hobson etc then we should be very competitive. Add in the extra buzz from the bigger gates and happy fans then all should be well.

I reckon our new owners are looking at long term returns rather than throwing everything at promotion in year one.

I'm hoping we are in the hunt mid season and then cash might be found for a final push if automatic promotion is a reality.

Mooney and Taylor or Powell or me.

Mooney - injuries have played a part, formations have played a part, but he’s had enough chances and just didn’t show enough.

Taylor - not sure who said it, but apparently he’s one of the highest paid at the club, if that’s true then he’s not worth it and we can do better.

Powell - don’t even know where to start! Poor finisher, and too weak, despite being built like a brick sh*t house

I don’t know the ins and outs of everyone’s wages, but he isn’t.

I don’t know the ins and outs of everyone’s wages, but he isn’t.
He is one we should be looking to hang on too. He’s had some excellent performances and adds a different option in midfield. A real grafter, who can tackle and pass. Only thing that lets him down like the majority of our midfield last season is they don’t score enough.

He is one we should be looking to hang on too. He’s had some excellent performances and adds a different option in midfield. A real grafter, who can tackle and pass. Only thing that lets him down like the majority of our midfield last season is they don’t score enough.
I think he had some great performances. Important interceptions and breaking up play. I think his biggest weakness is on the turn. I'm always nervous when he receives the ball facing our goal, unlike Cav who has great awareness of what's around him.

Powell just hasnt got the footballing talent for this level imo, for a promotion chasing side. He has plusses though, maybe an impact sub

Powell just hasnt got the footballing talent for this level imo, for a promotion chasing side. He has plusses though, maybe an impact sub
Always said he is better as an impact player. He’s obviously lacking in confidence but he also had a bad habit that needs kicking out of him. The amount of times he’s gone for a shot and leans back, that’s striking 101! Must be frustrating for Darren Currie to watch him constantly do that, as he often takes the striking practice before the game.

I remember the excitement when he signed, built like a brick ****house, good highlights reel (don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad one) and fast! But as said before, he’s easily muscled off the ball, he often has the blinkers on and will have a shot that was never going to go in. The frustration from others who are in an open position for a tap in or a more viable shot was seen a lot last season.

If he was 21 I’d say hang onto him and it can be worked on, but he’s 27. Whilst that’s not old I fear the peak years are past him for the type of player he is trying to be. I could be wrong, he might stay and be a force or go and be another to the list of ex shrimpers who’ve been average for us and then world class for others. I’m pretty sure that won’t happen. A frustrating player to watch and if he is one of the ones being moved on, I wouldn’t be disappointed.

Fonguck scored 2 goals in 35 appearances 943 minutes per goal), Powell scored 8 in 40 (233 minutes per goal). And you want to keep Wes over Callum....? Powell's assist is better than Fonguck's too.

Actually, I would like to keep them both.
Completely different roles. The midfield seems to be told that as soon as you are in a good shooting position in the middle you must play it out wide instead. It was very frustrating to watch!

The truth is as much as we've had a nightmare season off the pitch, this squad was on the brink of playoffs, despite not being able to strengthen near the business end of the season, and the league is likely to be weaker this year with the promotions and relegations. The team doesn't need much changing and as excited as I am about the new owners I'm hoping for a future that doesn't involve embargoes and getting into a new stadium rather than expecting that they will throw Wrexham type cash at it. I think the key will be replacing the leavers with slightly better rather than losing too many of the current squad.

If we can improve on Hyde, Hobson etc then we should be very competitive. Add in the extra buzz from the bigger gates and happy fans then all should be well.

I reckon our new owners are looking at long term returns rather than throwing everything at promotion in year one.

I'm hoping we are in the hunt mid season and then cash might be found for a final push if automatic promotion is a reality.

Good post but had to LOL at being able to improve on Hobson. We’re a NL club so we’re not going to go out and sign L1 calibre players. Hopefully we can replace him and strengthen elsewhere.

Part of that improvement is also likely to be finding more durable players than Arnold, Murphy and Hyde plus having Cardwell available more. I expect those 4 were amongst our biggest earners and Cardwell (who started 20 out of the last 24) was the only one we could rely on for any stretch of time. That’s a hugely inefficient use of resources.

However we should be prepared for our defence to take a step back. Łopata and Hobson played 66 times between them before taking their talents to the Football League. Their standard of play isn’t going to be easy to replace. I’d expect us to be slightly worse on defensively but much improved in attack if we can get more games out of Cardwell and have better, more consistent support/back-up for him than Murphy/Hyde/Powell/Cosgrave/Dackers/Wreh/Sandat. Sandat is the only one if those I’d look to bring back next year. I actually think we’d be an attractive destination for forwards. We play good football and the ball won’t just be pinged at your head for you to make something out of nothing.

Always said he is better as an impact player. He’s obviously lacking in confidence
Therein lies your issue. His skillset is better suited to being an occasional sub but his confidence, to get the most out of that skillset, needs him to be starting regularly.

Good post but had to LOL at being able to improve on Hobson. We’re a NL club so we’re not going to go out and sign L1 calibre players. Hopefully we can replace him and strengthen elsewhere.

Part of that improvement is also likely to be finding more durable players than Arnold, Murphy and Hyde plus having Cardwell available more. I expect those 4 were amongst our biggest earners and Cardwell (who started 20 out of the last 24) was the only one we could rely on for any stretch of time. That’s a hugely inefficient use of resources.

However we should be prepared for our defence to take a step back. Łopata and Hobson played 66 times between them before taking their talents to the Football League. Their standard of play isn’t going to be easy to replace. I’d expect us to be slightly worse on defensively but much improved in attack if we can get more games out of Cardwell and have better, more consistent support/back-up for him than Murphy/Hyde/Powell/Cosgrave/Dackers/Wreh/Sandat. Sandat is the only one if those I’d look to bring back next year. I actually think we’d be an attractive destination for forwards. We play good football and the ball won’t just be pinged at your head for you to make something out of nothing.

Therein lies your issue. His skillset is better suited to being an occasional sub but his confidence, to get the most out of that skillset, needs him to be starting regularly.
But when he starts regularly we don’t always see the best of him. Too inconsistent, I just don’t think he is the player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back