• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Dagenham offered more money for one player we tried to sign. Highly unlikely we will be pinching players from Stockport.....Even if they are 4th choice.

Very true, rigsby. At present, the club does not seem to have the resources to make a bid for a player like Reid. The good news is that Stockport signed Reid on a free transfer last year from Stevenage so gems can be found at little cost. Let's hope PB and his team have some promising players in their sights.

Virgil Gomis linked. One of the recent trialists maybe? I've only attended the WH friendly so maybe somebody who was at Wakering can provide some insight into if it was him and, if so, whether he looked the part.
There was no Virgil Gomis at the Wakering game. The trialists were, El-Mhanni, Moore, Atkinson, Dennis and Kargbo. Same as the West Ham game.

Its early days but I think the transfer business accross the NL over the past month is showing the reality of our situation. Ron is obviously not prepared to throw good money after bad at a s*** or bust attempt at winning the league, and its hard to blame him after so much money got wasted previously. Personally I think the best we can hope for is a mid-table finish, and a slow gradual rebuild over probably a few seasons to get back to being serious promotion contenders. Look how long its taken Stockport & Wrexham to reach that point, and look at the money they're spending to get there. we're just not in that league at the moment. I think we're here for a while folks.

Its early days but I think the transfer business accross the NL over the past month is showing the reality of our situation. Ron is obviously not prepared to throw good money after bad at a s*** or bust attempt at winning the league, and its hard to blame him after so much money got wasted previously. Personally I think the best we can hope for is a mid-table finish, and a slow gradual rebuild over probably a few seasons to get back to being serious promotion contenders. Look how long its taken Stockport & Wrexham to reach that point, and look at the money they're spending to get there. we're just not in that league at the moment. I think we're here for a while folks.
?

So far, these are my thoughts exactly. We have to hope the team PB builds turns out to be greater than the sum of its parts and that we stay clear of long term injuries. It can happen and we just have to keep the faith.

Alex Reid, the Stockport striker, is 6'4", 25 years old and scored 17 goals in the National League and might be available if a reasonable offer was put in.
Why would the favourites for promotion be looking to weaken their strike force? They've got good financial backing (like Wrexham) and aren't going to be looking to offload good players unless someone came in with a ridiculous offer for them.

Two teams may be splashing cash but you only have to finish top 7 to be involved in the play-offs. Southend may not be able to match the top two spenders but we're likely to have a top 7 wage bill, even if we don't offer so much to a Dagenham target who'd be starting for them but depth for us.

Will this not all change, if as I suspect we do not gain promotion, next season when the NL introduces a salary cap? Don’t know the likelihood of this happening but if it does then those that don’t get promotion will end up having to offload the likes of Madden etc??

Back