• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

After the way we treated him that would be a very unlikely move
Very true. The appalling treatment of Vassell and his midfield mate from Macclesfield by the Chairman would surely rule Southend out as a destination.

But professional football is a short career and sometimes players have to accept what is on offer.

Nevetheless, it is difficult to believe Vassell will not get some decent offers for his services. He played 32 times in Wrexham's first team last season and scored four goals.

When are we going to get reinforcements.

Yes, I know that there is a good way to go until the start of the season. If we want to be ready for the start of the league with a team in place, then we need players soon.

We are still very short in playing staff. And having let several trialists go, it would appear that need has increased.

Hopefully we can get a few more in the coming days.

Reactions: GBJ
When are we going to get reinforcements.

Yes, I know that there is a good way to go until the start of the season. If we want to be ready for the start of the league with a team in place, then we need players soon.

We are still very short in playing staff. And having let several trialists go, it would appear that need has increased.

Hopefully we can get a few more in the coming days.

agree seems like the people in the know have said expect some positive news for the last 2 weeks now. Now they have all gone quiet ?

Iv mentioned this previously.... looking at the current squad it's mid table/lower in the National league. If we can get 3/4 players in before a ball kicked then we can look at play off push! Unfortunately for sufc we are going into the strongest National league it's probably been. Wrexham, Stockport and I would throw notts county into the mix, are in my opinion going to be challenging for top spot.

I see some fans mentioned we can get players through out the season. That's all well and good, but if we get off to poor start and find ourselves mid table or even worse near the bottom, their not going to be many players who will to come to sufc, as we found out last season. It's important to get the majority of your business done before a ball kicked to give us the best chance of having a competitive season.

Iv mentioned this previously.... looking at the current squad it's mid table/lower in the National league. If we can get 3/4 players in before a ball kicked then we can look at play off push! Unfortunately for sufc we are going into the strongest National league it's probably been. Wrexham, Stockport and I would throw notts county into the mix, are in my opinion going to be challenging for top spot.

I see some fans mentioned we can get players through out the season. That's all well and good, but if we get off to poor start and find ourselves mid table or even worse near the bottom, their not going to be many players who will to come to sufc, as we found out last season. It's important to get the majority of your business done before a ball kicked to give us the best chance of having a competitive season.
You can probably add Chesterfield and Torquay as well.

On the trialists, a few things, and these don’t necessarily relate to the ones we’ve had through the door.

Believe it or not, not every trialist we have through the door is with a view to potentially signing them. This is the same up and down the country.

Some we take on to look at as an option, and it works out well and we sign like Ryan Leonard, Ben Coker or Gary Deegan.

Some are players that we look at as alternatives to key targets we have. Not saying this is the case, but the winger from Newcastle could have been looked at as a cheaper alternative to say a Maguire-Drew who may take up a bulk of the budget. As I say, not saying that is the case.

Other trialists, we’ve taken as a favour to an agent. We’ve been in talks with players and their agents in the past, and we’ve done a favour by taking another client on to “look at” or to get minutes in his legs and training sessions so he is ready when a move materialises.

Some we’ve taken on, purely so certain players don’t play too many minutes in pre-season. For example, Ralph hasn’t been fit enough for the pre-season matches, so Clifford is our only recognised first team left back. There has been occasions where we’ve taken on a left back so Clifford to only play 45/60 minutes or whatever the plan is. Obviously we’ve used the youth team left back, but that’s not always been the case when we’ve been short of players.

In all these scenarios, we’ve done it before under different managers. Tilson, Sturrock and Brown have all done some of these scenarios during their spells at Southend, and we are a unique case, Clubs always do this.

That’s why I never get too excited about a trialist, as you never know which box they are here to tick if you catch my drift.

They've had a big squad churn. That said Gary Johnson is a very good manager who knows exactly what it takes at this level.
I notice they lost few and bought in few. Your right Johnson is decent manager and pretty much managed every South West side to some degree of success. Not sure they are going to match the heights of last season, but they will challenge for play off place.

They've had a big squad churn. That said Gary Johnson is a very good manager who knows exactly what it takes at this level.
Some of their signings are quite interesting - quite obscure gambles in parts but players who if they kick on to what I think is their potential will do well.

Back