• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Ricky Holmes is 'very close' to signing new deal with Southend United​

By Chris Phillips @cjphillips1982
Still in talks - Ricky Holmes (left) is in discussions with Southend United

Still in talks - Ricky Holmes (left) is in discussions with Southend United

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown believes Ricky Holmes is close to signing a new deal with the Shrimpers.
Holmes remains in contract talks with Blues.
And Brown is hopeful the situation will soon be sorted.
“We’re very close,” said Brown.
“It’s been difficult negotiating born out of the fact he’s had a degenerative problem in the last two or three seasons.
“But you have to look at what he gives you. He gives you grit and determination that will be needed next year but we’re covering all bases.

“I think we’re very close but the next 24 hours will be crucial for us in the business end of the pitch.

“Ricky fits the bill, Matt Dennis does, the new signing does and there might be one more.”
Holmes, 34, joined the Shrimpers in February and made 14 appearances towards the end of last season.

Dennis and Holmes to be completed in the immediate future. Just a CB to come in imo and we have a decent squad. Barring anyone leaves
We absolutely need a striker as well. Whether that is Kargbo (loan) or A.N.Other or both we shall see.

Murphy, Dalby, Rush, Akinola (Maybe) isn't enough firepower for me.

I know PB mentioned about Dennis being able to play in multiple positions. But from what I saw of him, he has to be an out and out left winger destroying Right backs.

Last edited:
We absolutely need a striker as well. Whether that is Kargbo (loan) or A.N.Other or both we shall see.

Murphy, Dalby, Rush, Akinola (Maybe) isn't enough firepower for me.
Maybe, but as there isn't a transfer window we have the luxury of seeing how things are going before getting someone in who will end up on the bench

Ideally we’d have an experienced target man who Dalby could learn from and compete for his place in this side. Akinola can play wide and Rush and Dalby could be options off the bench initially and then we just see how the season pans out and who works their way into the side.

The plan is clearly to keep Holmes and add Dennis and Kargbo

So with perhaps Murphy, Rush, Dennis, Holmes, Kargbo, Dalby and Akinola we have attacking options that frankly would have kept us up last year, and should certainly address the goal scoring requirements this. A good mix of ages, experience, pace, size etc. So hopefully the above is where we end up

How many more do we all think we need?
id be happy with another centre half, attacking mid/winger (Dennis? JMD?) and a striker.

How many more do we all think we need?
id be happy with another centre half, attacking mid/winger (Dennis? JMD?) and a striker.
We definitely need another centre half. If Holmes, Dennis. Kargbo all sign I would still like to see a creative central midfield player brought in.

Depends on the formation, you should have a reserve for each position, the area I’m not so sure about is the creativity and box to box position in midfield, so they probably should be of focus. We have four forwards already adding more than won’t see much game time is foolish unless we are do paying for the loanees wages

That, plus another striker.
I did think we might look a little short with 4. Depends who we sign though. If it’s Kargbo then we only have one properly experienced striker to choose from.
kargbo + another experienced striker and we’ll be looking miles better.

How many players have we got now? Does someone want to do a list. I reckon we're 30+ again, but perhaps that's perception.

How many players have we got now? Does someone want to do a list. I reckon we're 30+ again, but perhaps that's perception.
This is probably as accurate as anything (Post 33)

This is probably as accurate as anything (Post 33)

So that's 27 and there's clearly an intention to keep adding.
That's too many for me. I've seen us win half a dozen promotions in my time - when we do it we generally have a fairly settled core of 16 or so players who feature in the team each week. That leaves 10+ players knocking around the place getting cheesed off that they aren't playing. It's also knocking up the wage bill. Why don't we try and save some cash?

That's too many for me. I've seen us win half a dozen promotions in my time - when we do it we generally have a fairly settled core of 16 or so players who feature in the team each week. That leaves 10+ players knocking around the place getting cheesed off that they aren't playing. It's also knocking up the wage bill. Why don't we try and save some cash?
See i see that as a squad of 21 with youngsters available if we need them unless they are loaned out to get more experience. I fully expect Seadon to go out on loan and another keeper (maybe Idem) to come in.

I agree that is too many. Especially when the transfer window doesn't close

Whilst i agree, back then we werent always buying cast offs and crocks... seems to be a scattergun hope for the best approach these last couple of seasons. Maybe brown is a bit tainted from having zero attacking options last season.

Plus the lack of transfer window swings both ways. Maybe we'll see 4 or 5 that arent cutting the mustard go out fs or on loan

Hate to be harsh, but there's going to be a lot of deadwood around the place. Get rid of about 7, and bring in 2 or 3 better quality or younger and fitter.

You need 16 in the squad each game, you will get injuries, and you need to rotate to keep people fresh/ on heir toes , have options for different games/formations.
So a squad in the mid 20s will be about right. I suspect one or two will be going on out loans to get fitness/game time

maybe the keeper that played in the last pre season .Beleve its the keeper from notts forest phil brown said he was impressed with him.

Back