• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

I thought the L2 wage cap was abandoned mid season?

I think it was ruled unlawful but seeing as the clubs voted for it in the first place I think it will continue de facto for most L2 clubs.

Are there any players in NL Brown has managed before?

Weston, Wordsworth, Binnom-Williams, Straker, McGlashan etc is Fortune still there as well?

Basically it's the next stop for most of his signings.

Looking to take gambles on the next Goodship is something we are unlikely to see under PB. Its not his style and we don't have financial time as a club. The forwards will be experienced target men with at least one of them capable of winning headers.

As for our current lot, some may chose to move on or up but rather than mass clear outs some lads will obviously be kept. Then add some experienced EFL, good work ethic, and lads who ended up overlooked from our academy. Finally couple of young loanees will be the way forward.

I really don't see it as the total rebuild some on here want. If we won our appeal/court case and stayed in L2. Then just 2 or 3 forwards would make us top half/capable of play-offs. I have watched plenty of poor down the bottom L2 teams over the years. Most of them looked like they were only ever going to lose. We looked like a team that could never win. There is a big difference.

I don't think Brown likes target men. The only one I can think of that he signed was Ranger. He never seemed to trust Corr either.

And whilst we require a targetman we also need to address midfield. Ferguson is one piece there (although I don't expect he's Brown's type) but some creativity is needed. ANG can be a complementary piece (although Brown doesn't rate him either) but we need a playmaker.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the relationship between Cox and Brown was pretty fractious by the end?

It was between Martin and Brown as well.

Lots of really good players mentioned here but does anyone else feel like it’s players more in the 26-30 age range we need rather than younger players which we have in abundance? Players who have been released from league clubs or who have done well at local non league clubs and looking to make that step. Personally I am not across lower league players that well apart from those who played well against us last season (and therefore unlikely to be available) but there must be loads of these types of players who would love to play for Southend.

24-26 with 100+ starts under their belt is the sweet spot.

Not a chance Oxley is on top wages with us and will be one of those shown the door to enable funds to be channelled elsewhere ie UPFRONT!

Really? The general consensus seems to be that he's the highest paid player at the club.

Reactions: GBJ
Not for me. This is the type of signing that, although I fully expect PB to try and pull off, we need to avoid.
The facts have all been laid bare by the likes of Rigsby in previous threads.
No doubt it would be a very convenient way for Cox to top up his retirement fund (Ron would be aware of that only too well), but we've got to be wiser in the transfer market this summer. Essentially we have to look forwards, not backwards.... and come up with something different.
While I agree, I do think you will need 3,4 or maybe 5 experienced players within for the squad for their experience. White wants to stay it seems, PB indicated hw would like to keep Holmes around so thats 2. I would not keep both Macca and Demi one or the other or possibly neither, but that leaves maybe 2 places out of the 5.

Not advocating Cox just saying experience within the squad will be needed

24-26 with 100+ starts under their belt is the sweet spot.
Fair. To be honest I would prefer slightly older than 24 as feel that’s still a little below prime and we need some prime players to complement our youth if we want to have a chance next season of bouncing straight back. But generally 24-26 is a great range for when we have a settled team.

A name that has left a sour taste in our mouths, Alex Fisher, has been released by Exeter. Would be a ‘big lump’ up top and good option for us if we were to pick him up. Nicky Ajose also released by Exeter

Nicky Ajose - not for me, one good year at Swindon, otherwise below average returns for a striker.

Alex Fisher - although similar on the goalscoring front, and a year older, for me, could be a perfect foil for Matt Rush at 6' 3" - worth a look in my book.

Ive been revisiting some of PB s signings...

Weston, Wordsworth, Binnom-Williams, Straker, McGlashan Fortune

To put a poor spin on this purely for the sake of discussion and nowt else, look at this "batch" Only 2 of these were worth a contract IMO and Fortunes' one was probably right in its shortness

In my view at this level they are all largely "much of a muchness" and attitude is King.Mr Brown is quite capable of finding sufficient blokes here.

Back