• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Yeah I don't agree with this. We missed Egbri big time last season when he was injured, so will have no issues personally with him playing in the NL

I thought he looked good in League One, a little raw but had potential. And as you say he was a big miss when he was injured. He is a nuisance and exactly the sort of player we needed whilst he was out. He changed games often when he came on.

Ferguson is the kind of player fans don't rate because he has a languid gait, but fortunately his reading of the game is so good he rarely has to sprint.

I think he works as a deep lying player, which is weird because we signed him as an attacking midfielder.

No coincidence that our form improved markedly when he came into the midfield after that poor run in January, and we stayed tight at the back until the end of the season.

Ferguson is the kind of player fans don't rate because he has a languid gait, but fortunately his reading of the game is so good he rarely has to sprint.

I think he works as a deep lying player, which is weird because we signed him as an attacking midfielder.

No coincidence that our form improved markedly when he came into the midfield after that poor run in January, and we stayed tight at the back until the end of the season.

Languid gait aside, you can have all the football intelligence in the World, but if you don't back it up with work rate then you are reliant on others to carry you.
For me, he went missing in most of the games after the FGR wonder goal - his performance at Colchester (like most of the team) was an utter disgrace.

Game of opinions though I suppose.

Languid gait aside, you can have all the football intelligence in the World, but if you don't back it up with work rate then you are reliant on others to carry you.
For me, he went missing in most of the games after the FGR wonder goal - his performance at Colchester (like most of the team) was an utter disgrace.

I would agree, but it is a strange thing. In a winning team near the top you can afford to be like that in a team struggling at the bottom everyone has to work harder so players of that ilk can be a luxury yo do not need.

It is ironic in some ways as those players are usually the players that can make things happen but in a relegation fight when you may need that you cannot afford that as you need workers and fighters. Thats generally speaking not in every case, but seems to be the case for us, hopefully that makes sense.

That isnt about transfers and htis is the thread for transfers so lets stick to that here (hopefully Southend united transfers)

I'd like to see him play an advanced role in a midfield 3 personally. I like him, but feel sometimes he needs to offer more support or want the ball a bit more. There was a precise moment where it dawned on me and I think it was Exeter away. The ball was down the left and he was in a really decent position to receive the ball and potentially switch play. He just didn't really offer for it whereas he should have been demanding for it with the space he was occupying.

Good on the ball, decent range of passing and good technical ability. He'll do alright next season IMO

Really even Egbri? Or are you on about the physicality of the NL and that’s your concern with him?
Ok so I was replying more to the 'we are ok with wide players' comment - I wasn't trying to single out any player just that the list doesn't install confidence in me.
I'm Egbri will surely have a part to play and I like him

I do remember he was rated highly by someone. Wasn’t it Kev Maher?
Was there not once a post on here about someone bumping into Coughlin in the supermarket and having a chat. It might be my imagination but I thought I read that on here once and that Bridge was spoken highly of during that encounter.

If most of the team were a disgrace why single him out?

I would agree, but it is a strange thing. In a winning team near the top you can afford to be like that in a team struggling at the bottom everyone has to work harder so players of that ilk can be a luxury yo do not need.

It is ironic in some ways as those players are usually the players that can make things happen but in a relegation fight when you may need that you cannot afford that as you need workers and fighters. Thats generally speaking not in every case, but seems to be the case for us, hopefully that makes sense.

That isnt about transfers and htis is the thread for transfers so lets stick to that here (hopefully Southend united transfers)

A languid gait does not mean he doesn't work hard, it is a description of his running style. Many fans confuse it for laziness.

Anthony Wordsworth suffered from the same stigma, then it was revealed he covered more ground than anyone else.

Suspect the same would be the case with Ferguson. You don't see him do the running because by the time you've noticed, he's already in position.

A languid gait does not mean he doesn't work hard, it is a description of his running style. Many fans confuse it for laziness.

Anthony Wordsworth suffered from the same stigma, then it was revealed he covered more ground than anyone else.

Suspect the same would be the case with Ferguson. You don't see him do the running because by the time you've noticed, he's already in position.
Sorry i didnt mean to imply laziness in anyway i was (as it seems somewhat poorly) just trying to say in relegation threatened teams not all players may suit the battle.

Sorry but no. He just seemed completely uninterested in the end. There is a decent player in there but needs to be switched on and ready to work harder for the team.

Fingers crossed Phil can help him with that

Sorry but no. He just seemed completely uninterested in the end. There is a decent player in there but needs to be switched on and ready to work harder for the team.

Fingers crossed Phil can help him with that

I suggest he fits in more with fans' ideas of work rate by pumping his fists more, kissing the badge and flying into tackles he's never going to win.

I suggest he fits in more with fans' ideas of work rate by pumping his fists more, kissing the badge and flying into tackles he's never going to win.
So take a few lessons from Sam Hart then?

We really missed Olayinka when he was in driving through form , at least he managed the best ratio from midfield I think of 2 goals from 14 shots. I hope we can attract, either via loans or transfers in, midfielders with more of an eye for goal

I appreciate our need for strikers is key but we did very poorly around the park, maybe if more goals did come from midfield it may have encouraged our forwards more. The loan market may prove valuable

After Fergusons blistering goal it was hard not to expect more of the same , but then he appeared to be played deeper in the end mustering 22 shots for just 2 goals. In fact 9 midfielders managed 120 shots at goal, which isnt much in a whole season and they only scored 9 goals between them

Individuals elsewhere have managed more than that from midfield on their own. Some clubs have knocked up over 20 goals from midfield from just 3 or 4 players So fingers crossed for a sharp improvement in this aspect next season and that we continue with some likely decent incomers

Unfortunately Fergusson was stationed in the treatment room for the last game or two I think.
PB wont play three in the middle I doubt, so the two in the middle will need some energy going forward and coming back (a la Timlin & Lenny) The good news is he will either not be playing, or getting in more advanced positions because he is. That's good news because it means he might find himself 20 yards out not 40 more often, and like Lenny is certainly capable of providing goals as a result.

Back