• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

We’ve had four in a week already, the issue is not about how many, it’s about their quality at this level. We seem to be content to pick up players that have been released or out of contract (that may be the same thing).
In recent seasons Clubs that won promotion have tended to spend the cash on players. Forest Green and Salford spring to mind. In the current season Stockport, Chesterfield and Notts County have all spent to try and win promotion. My point is that with parachute payments, whilst there available, we need to invest in players , strikers of quality, not necessarily a player that’s cheap and sits behind 10 other players in goals chart.0
Did you not include Sutton on purpose? As far as I'm aware, their recruitments for 20/21 was exclusively free transfers and loans.

We're in a financial mess and as a fan base, we worry about another run in with HMRC and another embargo. We can expect the club to get it's house in order financially and then gamble on spending our way to promotion (which might not pay off).

If we manage to sign better free transfers by offering fairly decent wages, avoid further winding up orders and embargoes, then that's going to have to be good enough... at least from my point of view. Remember, it's not even a case of avoiding an embargo during a transfer window because there is no window in the VNL. We may need to strengthen the squad later in the season.

The boat would have to be pushed into the EFL.

Ron and the New CEO are listening to fans, as we don't want to pay the taxman late. The the budget will be quite tight, it means a lack those perfect 27 year old signings that some are demanding.....Or up and coming 20 a season young and hungry types.

rigsby, thanks for your comment. To be clear, I would not want players like Orsi-Dadamo if it meant overstretching the budget and being unable to meet the club's obligations to the taxman. As I said before, Morecambe have just demonstrated it is possible to have a small budget and be successful. I am just left wondering whether an out-of-contract 25 year old would make tremendous wage demands after just one season in the National League, but if there are quite a few clubs in hot pursuit then that could well be the case.

I wonder what our parachute payment will actually be?

I understand in YEAR 1 we get 100%, the same as other league 2 Clubs?
Then we get 50% !!

According to the EFL in season 19.-20 we received £1.3m in total . Only Grimsby in the National league next time out will also receive a very decent parachute sum.

Ron almost boasted in the Zoom meetings the extent to which he had savaged the high cost players wages

In addition players have to take a haircut in wages anyway

So we are down to hand me downs are we because we are so skint

That must be terrible financial Management then, yet again, if we cant afford the odd purchase>?

I agree with you but two quick qualifiers. First, it is possible to invest in the team and not succeed at all. Second, Morecambe is an example of a team shrewdly managed that operated with the smallest budget in the EFL and succeeded in winning promotion to Division 1.

Having said that, I would love Southend to push the boat out a bit, in budget terms, to get a 25 year old striker like Danilo Orsi-Dadomo, the 6'2"striker Maidenhead striker who scored 19 goals in his first full season in NL and is coming to the end of his contract in late June.

Allegedly several clubs have their eyes on him including us! https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2...rica-to-the-brink-of-the-football-league.html

The like of Dieng, Lennon & Oxley probably on league 1 wages (combined 8k a week) - at least we won’t be paying them next month, let others clubs can have them.

The like of Dieng, Lennon & Oxley probably on league 1 wages (combined 8k a week) - at least we won’t be paying them next month, let others clubs can have them.

Yes I wonder if they will go or stay
Do you think Contracts however would have clauses that align themselves with the wage limits in Nat Lge and Ron would have had that covered

In other words they would automatically have to take a big cut anyway?

Im not sure myself exactly how it works

The boat would have to be pushed into the EFL.

Ron and the New CEO are listening to fans, as we don't want to pay the taxman late. The the budget will be quite tight, it means a lack those perfect 27 year old signings that some are demanding.....Or up and coming 20 a season young and hungry types.

Dear Riggers

Dont you find it just a tiny bit odd though that there are so many players in these categories in the National League and performing exceptionally well, that cost their clubs running on a shoestring budget compared to ours, absolutely nothing??

Has anything been said about Lennon? Or did I miss it?

Dear Riggers

Dont you find it just a tiny bit odd though that there are so many players in these categories in the National League and performing exceptionally well, that cost their clubs running on a shoestring budget compared to ours, absolutely nothing??

When it comes to wages, good strikers in the NL don't cost absolutely nothing. They never have and they never will.

I know of at least 3 players who wont becoming to us because the money isn't enough. It will be the same for some of our players out of contract who you mentioned. There will be clubs with bigger budgets than us.

Just put you in the picture. I cant speak for every contract they do have things like relegation clauses with 25% cut etc. As for those offered new contracts like Ox. whatever he earned before has no relevance on what he will be offered this time......Which is why he will be moving on.

The problem with older players like Lee Camp is that they are too expensive and Camp case does not meet the 6' 3" requirement.

Was guessing that’s why farmdog said it would get a mixed reaction. 36 years old and 6 foot. So many on here would moan!

We need an keeper in their mid 20’s and had played over 100 plus games in EFL at least, 6’3 tall as conference teams set pieces can be brutal.

Was guessing that’s why farmdog said it would get a mixed reaction. 36 years old and 6 foot. So many on here would moan!

While a goalkeeper at 36 may have good positional sense and judgement, the sharpness of the reflexes could be expected to slow down at that age.

Another very good keeper looking for a club is Sam Walker, now 29 a great age for a keeper, left Colchester for Reading and has hardly played a game except out on loan! No doubt he increased his bank balance, but lost a lot of playing time. I doubt he would want to drop into the NL but with football at present you just never know. He played over 200 games for Colchester and was very popular with us fans, did I mention he is also 6 feet 6 inches……. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Walker_(footballer)

Back