• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Does this mean we need another LB? I know we have Clifford, but if he's injured... This is were I thought having Kyrianou would be useful.

I think Nathan Ralph is coming in for pre-season to prove his fitness for PB and, subject to that being ok, I’d be more than happy with him and Clifford competing for the left back spot.

Surprised he’s managed to get another league club tbh. Think he’s got potential to improve though, all the best!

Anyone know what the situation is with Elvis possibly signing a new contract ? Doesn't seem to be any mention of him.

Bit sad to see Hart go tbh. I’ve never really been convinced of his defending, but think he’d be a real asset in a wing-back role.

Hopefully Ralph proves his fitness over pre-season as I liked the look of him before his injury.

Hart going is the natural thing for all parties I feel. I thought he had good desire but he got booked a lot mainly through being out of position and being forced into late reckless challenges. A lot of our fans mistook this for PASSION.

Good move for both I think. Ralph and Clifford are both better left backs. Still, I liked Hart for his character and wish him well.

Bit sad to see Hart go tbh. I’ve never really been convinced of his defending, but think he’d be a real asset in a wing-back role.

Hopefully Ralph proves his fitness over pre-season as I liked the look of him before his injury.

Maybe it's just me but I think defending is even more important in a wing-back than in a 4-4-2. At least in a 4-4-2 you have a wide midfielder who can help cover or double up but in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 if your wing-back is a defensive liability it drags a centre-half out of position and the whole defence has to move to cope with it. If I don't fancy someone defensively (eg Hart) then I certainly don't want them playing wing-back where their defensive frailties will be even more exposed.

I also don't think it works from an attacking perspective. A full-back attacks from deep. Their attacking threat comes from having lots of space in front of them to attack (and generally being marked by an attacker instead of a defender). When you push someone like Hart higher up the pitch he loses those advantages which numbs what little attacking threat he has.

For my money Ralph is a better bet - if he can stay fit.

He was out of contract but you raise an interesting point as to whether we'd be due any compensation as we offered him a new contract.
Hart is 24 so no compensation. Compensation only applies to players who are 23 or under on 30 June.

I wasn't so keen on him as a left-back but I wouldn't have minded seeing him on the wing in front of Clifford personally.

Maybe it's just me but I think defending is even more important in a wing-back than in a 4-4-2. At least in a 4-4-2 you have a wide midfielder who can help cover or double up but in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 if your wing-back is a defensive liability it drags a centre-half out of position and the whole defence has to move to cope with it. If I don't fancy someone defensively (eg Hart) then I certainly don't want them playing wing-back where their defensive frailties will be even more exposed.

I also don't think it works from an attacking perspective. A full-back attacks from deep. Their attacking threat comes from having lots of space in front of them to attack (and generally being marked by an attacker instead of a defender). When you push someone like Hart higher up the pitch he loses those advantages which numbs what little attacking threat he has.

For my money Ralph is a better bet - if he can stay fit.

Interesting. I personally think defending is slightly less important in a wing-back role than if playing as a full-back. Because if you’re dribbled past as a full-back, it either allows an easy crossing opportunity, or drags the centre back out of position, leaving only the one remaining centre back in the box to defend the cross.

As a wing-back, you obviously don’t have that extra wide player to help you out, but if you’re dribbled past and your centre back has to cover you, at least there’s another two centre backs waiting to defend the cross. I also think this depends how comfortable your outside centre backs are at defending in wide areas occasionally.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that we often see some full-backs who have great attacking talent but also defensive weaknesses look more comfortable in a wing-back role.

I agree about Ralph, really hope he impresses during pre-season.

Anyway, each to their own!

We had a glut of signings in one go and now it's gone very quiet again.

Any signings being announced soon?

We had a glut of signings in one go and now it's gone very quiet again.

Any signings being announced soon?
Think someone said that we could expect maybe two this week - Keeper as one of them and myabe another striker or maybe Agogo (apologies for spelling)

Back