• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Interesting. I personally think defending is slightly less important in a wing-back role than if playing as a full-back. Because if you’re dribbled past as a full-back, it either allows an easy crossing opportunity, or drags the centre back out of position, leaving only the one remaining centre back in the box to defend the cross.

As a wing-back, you obviously don’t have that extra wide player to help you out, but if you’re dribbled past and your centre back has to cover you, at least there’s another two centre backs waiting to defend the cross. I also think this depends how comfortable your outside centre backs are at defending in wide areas occasionally.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that we often see some full-backs who have great attacking talent but also defensive weaknesses look more comfortable in a wing-back role.

I agree about Ralph, really hope he impresses during pre-season.

Anyway, each to their own!
Agreed. I've played as a wing-back for several teams and it's a weird and lonely position. You could spend the whole game running up and down and not be noticed. You aren't really connected to any part of the team: at left-back you are part of a quartet which play as a group while also supporting a midfielder in front, whereas at wing-back you don't have to tuck in like you do as a regular full-back; and there's no real relationship with central midfielders either.

Back in my 20s I was quick and played as an orthodox winger in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 system. I wasn't great defensively and struggled if I had to switch to left-back but as a wing-back there was less of a need to cover to the same effect and my starting position would be much higher if we were playing a lesser team.

To give you a better example, Christian Zieger had played as a wing-back for Germany for many years and very successfully. Liverpool bought him and played him as a left-back and wondered why he struggled so badly.

And for us, Demi struggled for a while because he'd spent most of his career as a winger or wing-back and had to adapt to playing as part of a four at the back. The likes of Nicolau and Hart are examples of talented players who look a liability defensively but are more comfortable higher up the pitch.

This account is full of sh*t ?

He has joined Weymouth. Twitter is a funny old place, please don’t take any notice of that Twitter account.

Remember a few weeks back when RM and PB both mentioned that a player was coming into Roots Hall to discuss and hopefully finalise terms for a move but they didn't turn up? It was Cordner. He blamed traffic. Don't think the Club was impressed. He owns property in Southampton and his other half lives there. Seems that's where he wants to stay.

The second paragraph is barely comprehensible English so easily dismissed as nonsense, Proper footballer Tyler, comfortable on the ball and good passing. Not so sure about his heading and defending. Or footballing ambition if he’s back off to Weymouth.

The second paragraph is barely comprehensible English so easily dismissed as nonsense, Proper footballer Tyler, comfortable on the ball and good passing. Not so sure about his heading and defending. Or footballing ambition if he’s back off to Weymouth.
I guess you dismiss what you see in the Echo as nonsense then.

It may very well be Cordner signs for Weymouth but I don't believe he has yet? Weymouth wasted no time announcing Goodship and there is no reason they couldn't announce Cordner if he has signed?

More likely he and his agent are hoping something better comes along in the next couple of weeks.

Agree if he ends up at Weymouth it screams putting family/location before career. Nothing wrong in that- but suspect agent will be chirping away saying hold tight. Won't be the agents biggest success story on their CV taking Cordner to Weymouth via Bournemouth and the EFL...and they get paid a cut according to the value of the contract.

It may very well be Cordner signs for Weymouth but I don't believe he has yet? Weymouth wasted no time announcing Goodship and there is no reason they couldn't announce Cordner if he has signed?

More likely he and his agent are hoping something better comes along in the next couple of weeks.

Agree if he ends up at Weymouth it screams putting family/location before career. Nothing wrong in that- but suspect agent will be chirping away saying hold tight. Won't be the agents biggest success story on their CV taking Cordner to Weymouth via Bournemouth and the EFL...and they get paid a cut according to the value of the contract.

That has been a issue in the past, that still causes problems now

If us and Weymouth have laid very similar deals on the table, does that mean we are actually cutting our cloth accordingly in the National League? Surely not? That doesn't fit certain narratives.

If us and Weymouth have laid very similar deals on the table, does that mean we are actually cutting our cloth accordingly in the National League? Surely not? That doesn't fit certain narratives.

What's the basis for thinking that we've laid very similar deals on the table?

Reading between the lines of that tweet Weymouth is his preferred destination and his agent is trying to extract some more cash out of them.

What's the basis for thinking that we've laid very similar deals on the table?

Reading between the lines of that tweet Weymouth is his preferred destination and his agent is trying to extract some more cash out of them.
Yes for sure Weymouth is his preferred destination but I'm guessing (purely a guess) that if our offer was significantly more, he would've taken it. I doubt he's bombarded with offers.

Of course it's likely that we haven't offered him a cent. Just being mischievous, sorry.

Yes for sure Weymouth is his preferred destination but I'm guessing (purely a guess) that if our offer was significantly more, he would've taken it. I doubt he's bombarded with offers.

Of course it's likely that we haven't offered him a cent. Just being mischievous, sorry.

I suspect it depends whether you measure the minimum guaranteed under the contract or the maximum (e.g. if promoted, if extra year option exercised). Assuming the source for this was his agent talking to that twitter rumour site he's going to be talking it up. I suspect we offered more upside but that upside wasn't guaranteed.

But as Barry Corr showed if you rate and trust the manager you sacrifice a bit of salary.

I suspect it depends whether you measure the minimum guaranteed under the contract or the maximum (e.g. if promoted, if extra year option exercised). Assuming the source for this was his agent talking to that twitter rumour site he's going to be talking it up. I suspect we offered more upside but that upside wasn't guaranteed.

But as Barry Corr showed if you rate and trust the manager you sacrifice a bit of salary.
You have to buy into in the dream you mean? Of course Barry Corr was a one-off, Cordner I'm not fussed about one way or the other. If he was to come I'd rather he was 100% committed - each player I guess has different circumstances/personal considerations.

Back