• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was also one of the 2 moments of genuine class in the match, the pass through from brunt.

The second moment was later in the first half, again from brunt but the lad had run offside

It was also one of the 2 moments of genuine class in the match, the pass through from brunt.

The second moment was later in the first half, again from brunt but the lad had run offside

Yep. The through ball was different class. As was the pass into the box. We tend to just flight balls into the box.

Not a chance. It's down to Sheffield Utd to decide what they do with they youngsters, especially ones that aren't toeing the line.
No I know that of course, he's basically saying that we haven't brought anyone else in because we are focused on only Lopata alone, which is not the case.

They signed 2 new defenders? What are you on about?
Are either of them a defensive organiser or a dominant ball winner?

We started Saturday's game with three players that have been letting in goals for fun over the previous few seasons. If we're going to be playing with three at the back we need both of the above types of defenders.

4-4-2, eh?

It's not in fashion at the moment - that seems to be the case but I don't think you can say 4-4-2 is "outdated".

The formation (along with any number of other formations) has its time & place.

Don't think anyone is arguing that 5 at the back is essential, just that 4-4-2 is outdated. Brentford played a 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 depending on how you look at it) and Wolves played a 4-2-3-1.

Yes not suggesting 442 is the answer either. Just not 5 defenders... It places too many defensive players looking backwards

Always some compromise.

442 has width and a good partnerships across the pitch - but limited in midfield and covering defence

433 seems to solve this, is more attack minded but reliant on wingers scoring goals and supporting the lone striker

4231 seems to protect the defence better but can be limited going forward and reliant on the midfield to get into the box to support

But at least there are numbers to support scoring goals further up the pitch in an attack transition

4-4-2, eh?

It's not in fashion at the moment - that seems to be the case but I don't think you can say 4-4-2 is "outdated".

The formation (along with any number of other formations) has its time & place.
Yep, it's nonsense that it's outdated. Preferred tactics have always changed throughout the years. Almost all formations work with the right players used in their strongest positions.

It'd be a bit of a waste on Lopata's part if he signed for us again.

What's he going to prove playing in a league he already knows he can boss.
That is all true. But most of us perform best in a working environment where one feels wanted and liked and Lopata may believe he can best advance his long-term career by spending a season playing first team football at Southend United rather than languishing in Sheffield United's under 23 team or being loaned out to a club he feels little connection to.

Yes not suggesting 442 is the answer either. Just not 5 defenders... It places too many defensive players looking backwards
That's down to the choice of wing back though... bearing in mind most teams have just one of two strikers, a back 3 covers that perfectly and means that a 3-5-2 becomes 5-3-2 when the opposition are attacking, and 3-3-4 when we are going forwards.

For me, the weaknesses are in Hobson, who isn't anywhere near as dominant as he should be, and Clifford, who just hasn't developed well enough defensively.

The team will take a few weeks to bed in, there are so many new faces. We will come good, of that I'm certain.

This is the “Let’s complain we don’t have enough fit strikers but then demand we play a system that requires two fit strikers” thread.
Thats the natural conclusion to come to, because we dont have any strikers fit enough to play, but I think it would give us solidity at the back whilst we havent got any attacking threat. It could prevent us conceding too easily, too often, which can result in loss of confidence. I dont want that at the start of a season. We'd need to nick goals from elsewhere, pinch wins 1-0, get in teams faces etc, just until we can get our preferred way of playing back when we have the fit forwards for choices.
Just feel a back 4 is more solid in our current 'delicate' circumstances.

This is typical make do and patch things up that are being suggested. We should not be in this position with the season underway. It’s so disheartening to see and hear.

If you look at our squad the midfield area in the strongest part of the team.... defensively we are lacking strong commanding centre half! In attack we have the likes of Cardwell and Murphy still injured which is unfortunate, we do need another forward asap. I can't really see any permanent signings coming now due to lack of funds so the loan market is our best bet. Problem we currently have interms of getting loans in is clubs higher up the ladder ie prem/champ clubs don't particularly want to send their loans to national league clubs before 31st August when they can loan them to league 1/2 or spl clubs! I would be surprised if kev can get couple loans in this week

This is typical make do and patch things up that are being suggested. We should not be in this position with the season underway. It’s so disheartening to see and hear.
Couldnt agree more... we shouldnt be....but we are. Was really hoping for a refreshing start and something a bit different this season. Why we are is history and cant be changed...its what we do about it in the immedaite future that matters. Fans can play their part by encouraging whatever players Kev puts out there in whatever formation he thinks best. Its great to be able to say our bit on here, but on matchdays I prefer to hear cheers and encouragment rather than negatives. I dont think were too bad at that on the whole.

Couldnt agree more... we shouldnt be....but we are. Was really hoping for a refreshing start and something a bit different this season. Why we are is history and cant be changed...its what we do about it in the immedaite future that matters. Fans can play their part by encouraging whatever players Kev puts out there in whatever formation he thinks best. Its great to be able to say our bit on here, but on matchdays I prefer to hear cheers and encouragment rather than negatives. I dont think were too bad at that on the whole.
Positive chants and encouraging from fans won't make to much of difference interms of the team performance. If it did then Liverpool would win the league every year. If the quality isn't their, it isn't their unfortunately.

Positive chants and encouraging from fans won't make to much of difference interms of the team performance. If it did then Liverpool would win the league every year. If the quality isn't their, it isn't their unfortunately.
Or maybe it's their crowd that get them so high up the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back