• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do you think it’s midfielders we need to invest in as opposed to a proven goal scorer? Do you feel the strikers we have have enough goals in them, given a better service?
No the opposite? I think you may have misread my post- or I didn't make it clear enough which is also entirely possible..

We need to invest in midfielders who can score goals. How many goals have come from midfield this season? Therein lies the main problem.
In part but only three sides have scored less goals so i don't believe the primary answer to that is to strengthen the midfield although it will help.

To score more goals, we need to improve all over the pitch. It's too simplistic to say the issue can be solved with a new striker or a new midfielder. For me the issues seem to be that we just don't worry the opposition enough, whether that's the quality of the final ball, the tempo of the approach play, not enough numbers forward at pace, and not being clinical enough in front of goal.

If we dominate games, we will score more goals, and that means we need better players all over the pitch. We've already made a good start with the new arrivals in January, and hopefully the summer will see further improvements.

To score more goals, we need to improve all over the pitch. It's too simplistic to say the issue can be solved with a new striker or a new midfielder. For me the issues seem to be that we just don't worry the opposition enough, whether that's the quality of the final ball, the tempo of the approach play, not enough numbers forward at pace, and not being clinical enough in front of goal.

If we dominate games, we will score more goals, and that means we need better players all over the pitch. We've already made a good start with the new arrivals in January, and hopefully the summer will see further improvements.
Agreed.

I'd say it's the 2 that I've highlighted. Funnily enough, when we're at the races, the tempo isn't an issue. I can see that Maher et al are drilling a high tempo in.

The issue is all over the pitch really. Finishing has been an issue but I don't think we have a clinical goalscorer anyway, hence the club is looking for one. The final ball, though, is just as much of an issue. We seem to lack the composure and quality to penetrate and to put in that quality final pass or cross.....too many occasions where a pass which is on and is made badly or not spotted at all; too many occasions where a cross or corner/free kick doesn't beat the first man, and there are plenty of culprits for that - the central midfielders, the wide forwards/wingers, the wing backs and sometimes the strikers themselves. It's all over the pitch. And when we do create a chance, I think the stats will bear out that many of them are not "clear cut" or quality chances, which we don't fashion enough of. That supply line needs to be improved just as much as the finishing. Some of that may come on training ground in pre-season but more quality needs to be brought in too, and they know that.

Think we also need better attacking wingbacks who can cross the ball better, if we are to carry on with the 3 at the back.

Agreed, but it’s a decent striker that I fear will take up more of the budget purely as they’re in demand. Plus we might find it harder to get someone on loan in that position .. I mean with the Lopata/Neal level of impact. We do need to strengthen all over the pitch, 100%..

No the opposite? I think you may have misread my post- or I didn't make it clear enough which is also entirely possible..
No I think I just misread your post! Brain fog.

I’ve heard today that we have agreed a deal to sign a promising young tough tackling full back . All but agreed with Kev, Still.

Also I think we did exactly that in 80-81, might be wrong, but we only used 17 players and I think the oldest was Derek Spence at..........28.

As always I stand to be corrected and will take it on the chin.....
This seems to be too incredible to be true. Can anyone confirm?

Agreed.

I'd say it's the 2 that I've highlighted. Funnily enough, when we're at the races, the tempo isn't an issue. I can see that Maher et al are drilling a high tempo in.

The issue is all over the pitch really. Finishing has been an issue but I don't think we have a clinical goalscorer anyway, hence the club is looking for one. The final ball, though, is just as much of an issue. We seem to lack the composure and quality to penetrate and to put in that quality final pass or cross.....too many occasions where a pass which is on and is made badly or not spotted at all; too many occasions where a cross or corner/free kick doesn't beat the first man, and there are plenty of culprits for that - the central midfielders, the wide forwards/wingers, the wing backs and sometimes the strikers themselves. It's all over the pitch. And when we do create a chance, I think the stats will bear out that many of them are not "clear cut" or quality chances, which we don't fashion enough of. That supply line needs to be improved just as much as the finishing. Some of that may come on training ground in pre-season but more quality needs to be brought in too, and they know that.
Finishing is an issue in that our only “natural” goalscorer only takes about one in three chances and is on the wane but you’ll tend to find successful teams’ prolific scorers are often players without prolific scoring records but rather players who find themselves at the right club at the right time, playing in a team that both creates plenty of chances and plays to their strengths.

Take Wrexham. Their top scorer had as many double digit goal scoring seasons when they signed him as Sam Dalby will if he scores Sunday.

Stockport’s top scorer had two seasons out of 13 where he’d scored more than 15 when they signed him. A good player but one probably more renowned for his build up play than finishing.

I suspect Cardwell and Dalby will both have seasons in their career where they hit 20+ goals. It’ll be a year where things just click.

To get things to click though you need to create chances. I don’t believe the issue has been final ball (although that’s been poor) as the rest of the build up play not being sharp enough. That means quicker passes, playing the ball to run onto, fewer balls fired at people’s shins (I’m looking at you Will Atkinson) and better off the ball running to create space.

The easiest way to improve the final ball is to give more time and space to the player. You do that with runners. The forward who attacks the near post to create space for his strike partner at the far post. The midfielder who makes a diagonal run and drags two defensive players out of the way. That is what creates the space for team-mates to play the final ball. If we improve at that (and we’ll need to upgrade in centre-mid and at least one wings-back spot) we’ll find the final ball improves and our forwards known more for their hold up play start scoring more.

There are only 3 sides in the whole division who have scored less goals... That's why I don't buy its all the fault of the midfield (even if its true that if they were more creative it would make some difference the core fact remains).

Of course its financially convenient to think its not an issue needing to be addressed because, of course, its the most expensive problem to fix. Regrettably..
I think the players are not given enough ammunition to thrive. We constantly bang away with certain tactics that are clearly not working and to unlock defences you need to be able to be fluid with ideas, see the chinks and change the mode of attack accordingly.

Powell and Dennis have speed. Often they pick up the ball in the channels which is great but then play slows getting the ball into the box. We underutilise the pace through the middle which is often where defences creak the most.

There are numerous, IMHO, flaws in the way we approach games and I am sure, when the side is settled after a preseason, some of the issues will be redressed. From that we may well see a better goal scoring/attack ratio.

Iam sure Darren curry will have a chat with him .And maybe the link curry has with the player may help .

Re lack of finishing & overall goal tally;

Is it not the case that many teams that end up vying for promotion start off okay, get better as the calendar year comes to an end & then kick on in the remaining months - i.e. they improve as the season goes on. I suspect (but have no figures to back this up) that these teams also have a "core" or "backbone" of settled players?

Given our overall performance in the 2nd half of the season (and a more stable squad?) I wonder if we might be in a position to start the season as above ......... and then kick on.

And whilst we might bemoan our lack of goals for this season (and we haven't really given anybody a thumping have we?) a well planned pre-season & some early strengthening of the squad might just give us the foundation that we need to be more clinical in front of the old onion bag.

As I have said before, let's not jetison good players for the sake of it. Getting in new blood is not a "magic potion" that guarantees success, is it?

This seems to be too incredible to be true. Can anyone confirm?…
11v11.com shows us using 18 players in all competitions in 1980/81, the oldest of which was Alan Moody, who was 30 by the end of the campaign:
Mervyn Cawston: 29
Dave Cusack: 24
Phil Dudley: 22
Terry Gray: 26
Tony Hadley: 25
Jeff Hull: 20
John Keeley: 19
Keith Mercer: 24
Alan Moody: 30
Garry Nelson: 20
Anton Otulakowski: 25
Glenn Pennyfather: 18
Andy Polycarpou: 22
Ronnie Pountney: 26
Derek Spence: 29
Mickey Stead: 24
John Walker: 23
Steve Yates: 27

It also shows that half the squad (9/18) were in the magic 24-28 bracket (with another three a year either side) we’re seemingly targeting.

People need to stop being so stubborn with the age profiles. You still need older and younger players in and around the team and cant just have 24-28 year olds if you want to win the league.
Well said you need tough leaders and characters to help guide youngsters through at all times. That’s why I mentioned him as he’s born leader played for a local club just up the road also played good number of games too not just this season but the last few. A Year deal maybe a sensible option who knows .

Well said you need tough leaders and characters to help guide youngsters through at all times. That’s why I mentioned him as he’s born leader played for a local club just up the road also played good number of games too not just this season but the last few. A Year deal maybe a sensible option who knows .
It's not about age really, it's about durability and physical ability. Look at Peter Clarke, just about to sign a new contract with Tranmere at the age of 40, what a brilliant career he has had and it just goes to show if you look after yourself and are lucky with injuries, you can significantly prolong your career.

The problem we had is not signing old players, it's signing players who were not up to it anymore and after their last pay day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back