• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

Given the number of players due to come back from injury, I wouldn't be surprised if we're going to rely on the loan market to plug the admittedly significant gaps in our squad, rather than risk bloating our squad with permanent contracts.

That said, we are definitely a centre half and two wingers light at the moment, and we could do with some cover at LB as Kyprianou won't be back for a while.

Unfortunately, most loan signings get done fairly late, as clubs wait to assemble their squads before deciding who to let out.

So not sure there will be much more business done before August 3rd.

Does anybody actually really have any sort of indication when the ‘injured players’ will be back to match fitness, there seems to be a very well informed ‘2-3 month’ comment by some on here... who’s to say some won’t come back at all?

Actually, I think you're slightly off the beam there. Apologies now for going :Off Topic:

In big events (World Cup, Euros, Premier league etc) of course the bookies know the whole field. But so do the punters.

When it comes down to League 1, 2 etc, the bookies absolutely do not know all the ins and outs of every team. They will rely on the odds compiler (each bookie has it's own odds compiler) and it is then the weight of the money that is more influential.

Take us for example. We are third favourites to go down and 50/1-ish to win the league. This is entirely based on our form over the second half of last season. I'll bet some bookie in Sheffield hasn't a clue that we had loads of injuries or when they are coming back, and what's more, there isn't enough money in that market to make it worth him knowing. So he will rely on others.

We however, know all about our squad, which is why we can get a march on the bookies by using that intimate knowledge to our advantage.

A case in point was last season. It was painfully clear in the home game v Plymouth that that was as good as our squad was going to get. We had had a few duff performances but 3-0 down at home to them was embarrasing. The 2 late goals gave us hope of an unlikely equaliser but more to the point, masked the judgement of everyone who didn't have the misfortune to witness the game (although Kelman's goal was worth going for on its own).

After that match, we were 16/1 to be relegated (if I recall correctly, at that point it was even shorter to make the playoffs!) which to anyone with an inkling of knowledge of SUFC and their plight was an absolute steal. £50 on that game (with the intention of laying it off later) was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Amazingly, a month later we were still only 14/1 to go down. Another £50 gave a loss of £100 if we stayed up (which I had no intention of letting run) but a profit of £1400 if we went down (again, which I had no intention of collecting in full.)

It was after the Barnsley TV game (available to a much wider audience than those at the ground) that the odds started to move. no doubt with the weight of money coming in on us as dead certs for the drop.

To cut a long story short, I cashed in before the end of the season and collected £850 in winnings based on knowledge that I possessed which the bookies didn't.

To illustrate my point further, if it had been a Premier league side that had been decimated through injuries, everyone would have been talking about it and the odds would have moved much more quickly. So the bookies aren't aware of everything, especially away from the top levels.

This season, for anyone who's interested, have a punt on SUFC to go up once the handicap odds come out. That has to be our best bet.

Anyway, back on topic...

Any signings this week forecast then?

I'd back us to go up on handicap of starting with 80 points. Even then I'd probably have doubts

We need at least 2 quick wingers.
A left back
A centre back
And then I think we will be fine ? I'm just worried that we may have numbers in CM ... but I dont think the standard is there.

But get those positions filled and I think we will stay up

We need at least 2 quick wingers.
A left back
A centre back
And then I think we will be fine ? I'm just worried that we may have numbers in CM ... but I dont think the standard is there.

But get those positions filled and I think we will stay up

Depends if he’s going to play with wingers. If he’s lining up in a 4-3-3 it’s not so much of an issue.

Worth a look at the Exeter site. According to their manager we were the best side in the first half and he thought his side played well against some ‘seriously good players - so perhaps all is not lost. Good video of the game as well. Also on News Now Southend.

Worth a look at the Exeter site. According to their manager we were the best side in the first half and he thought his side played well against some ‘seriously good players - so perhaps all is not lost. Good video of the game as well. Also on News Now Southend.

By all accounts we were the better side. They scored a scrappy goal and a worldy.

I'm not overly worried about the results of some nonsense game.

Im more worried about making a bad start due to injuries and lack of signings.

It doesn’t make sense if you watch properly...

Bond said they created one good chance to score and a worldly, but the clips show several low crosses across our six yard box from good play that were clear chances, and had anyone been on the of them, goals!

Either someone’s being selective over what they see or remember or we are trying to be more positive than maybe it deserves....

There is of course an element of it being an Exeter camera man and editing...but I didnt see too many chances created by us that gives any supporting evidence to Goodship or Kelman playing well as KB said in the echo....

Last edited:
Their first goal was purely down to kiernan, what the hell was he doing/thinking!!?!

The second goal was a hit and a hope, 9 times out of ten this one flies over the bar

Back