• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

One of our worst failings this year was our usual dismal performance in the January transfer market.
The new Summer market kicks off on the 17 th May and for league 1 and 2 clubs runs right through until 31st August for all permanent and loan signings. However we know most players contracts don't end until 30th June
LastSummer , nevertheless, over 90 players were signed before the 30th June

With our shiny new recruitment team in place I didn't expect to experience the miserable last minute debacle of bathe Theo Robinson farce and the bloke who changed his mind with 2 hours to go of the deadline.

Being a bit more savvy with forward planning is the key, so as ever I look forward in wonder to see if we will be last out of the blocks this time round and enjoy the continued frenzy on here that makes Sz such great fun to be part of

Considering we haven’t currently got a manager I’d say expect to be disappointed on that front. Anyway I fully believe it’s not coincidence we’re “slow” in the transfer market. Managers and players have come and gone but yet Southend are always slow at signing players, what remains the same - the chairman.

It’s a strategy due to our **** poor finances that we don’t sign players until well into the summer.

Considering we haven’t currently got a manager I’d say expect to be disappointed on that front. Anyway I fully believe it’s not coincidence we’re “slow” in the transfer market. Managers and players have come and gone but yet Southend are always slow at signing players, what remains the same - the chairman.

It’s a strategy due to our **** poor finances that we don’t sign players until well into the summer.

Yep, signing players late in the past means we always play badly, never get promotion etc etc... Oh, hang on

The key is to sign lots of players every window and the sooner the better.

A good example would be the club who finished in the L1 play-offs twice in recent years. They didn't go up so changed plenty of players and even binned a decent manger. Anyway well done Scunthorpe you have now finally got out of L1.

Even when Bond or A.N. Other have the same problems , plenty of fans will blame the manger.......Modern chairman must love modern fans.

At least back in the day we pointed the finger at the Rubin's rather than Dave Smith etc.

Have I missed something? transfer window is NOT open yet is it?
For sure phones will be ringing and agents stirring things up,especially for the "frees" but that happens all year round.

The thing I find most intriguing is that every manager at every club draws up list A and list B of players for the forthcoming season a few months before the season ends. Did Bond do this?

I was reading Gary Neville's quotes yesterday saying Salford had their players lined up months ago and if they were to be promoted, they'd be on the phone to them the day after and getting those players in. While I'm aware Salford's financial situation is different, the procedure is the same for all clubs. We would just agree to sign players in June when contracts finish instead. The manager's work would/should have started after the Sunderland game.

Ron must have something lined up. I've said it before; dealing with every financial decision on his own without a CEO is tough indeed. Let's hope we don't lose out as a result.

The thing I find most intriguing is that every manager at every club draws up list A and list B of players for the forthcoming season a few months before the season ends. Did Bond do this?

I was reading Gary Neville's quotes yesterday saying Salford had their players lined up months ago and if they were to be promoted, they'd be on the phone to them the day after and getting those players in. While I'm aware Salford's financial situation is different, the procedure is the same for all clubs. We would just agree to sign players in June when contracts finish instead. The manager's work would/should have started after the Sunderland game.

Ron must have something lined up. I've said it before; dealing with every financial decision on his own without a CEO is tough indeed. Let's hope we don't lose out as a result.
As Ron said after the game we will get what we want

As Ron said after the game we will get what we want

It depends who the 'WE' is. Some will be happy with the signings and some not. In fairness Ron generally gets us some good players, probably better than our position/situation deserves, and often throws in a pleasant surprise. Cox is a great example. A really good signing that was a coup for us. Some signings work and others, Kightly, do not give the return many hoped for.

This season gone, we have had a mixed bag with signings, but much of the problems have come from injuries to key signings rather than signings being a disappointment. To bring in the likes of Hopper and Humphrys has been inspired. They, injury allowing, look set to be real assets to the club in future seasons.

We don't know how Barratt will turn out and it was unfortunate to see him injured so quickly and for so long. Kiernan has surprised me in not only playing again but looking full of promise. He clearly needs a good preseason but, with that and no injury, he could be a very good signing.

At the other end of the scale are players like Dieng. I am positive he has the ability to be very competitive at this level but I have no idea what goes on between his ears. There is something that needs to be redressed with him. Maybe it can be and maybe not.

All in all the signings we make are not shabby on paper and with some the risk pays off and with others it doesn't. Maybe this coming season will see Lady Luck smile on our new recruits.

It depends who the 'WE' is. Some will be happy with the signings and some not. In fairness Ron generally gets us some good players, probably better than our position/situation deserves, and often throws in a pleasant surprise. Cox is a great example. A really good signing that was a coup for us. Some signings work and others, Kightly, do not give the return many hoped for.
Kiernan has surprised me in not only playing again but looking full of promise. He clearly needs a good preseason but, with that and no injury, he could be a very good signing.

Phil Brown must take most of the credit for the Cox signing. He drove Simon Cox mad. Coxy said he kept phoning him up trying to persuade him to sign for Southend. He said he wouldn't give up, despite Coxy's reservations. Phil Brown also had to convince Ron Martin to sign a better quality player, maybe for more salary wise that we could really afford. For better or worse, give him his due, Ron Martin backed Phil Brown. The same situation then arose for Kightly, who took less convincing to join Southend, but this time Phil Brown got it badly wrong. I agree with you on Kiernan. He now looks like he could be a great signing after a very unfortunate start. He's 28, so loads of good years left in him. I'm still not sure if he should be used as a centre back again, or his new defensive midfield role. But he looks a very good player.

Salford's financial situation does lend them that benefit though. Anyone they want who they're competing against at this level they can get without much trouble.

Phil Brown must take most of the credit for the Cox signing. He drove Simon Cox mad. Coxy said he kept phoning him up trying to persuade him to sign for Southend. He said he wouldn't give up, despite Coxy's reservations. Phil Brown also had to convince Ron Martin to sign a better quality player, maybe for more salary wise that we could really afford. For better or worse, give him his due, Ron Martin backed Phil Brown. The same situation then arose for Kightly, who took less convincing to join Southend, but this time Phil Brown got it badly wrong. I agree with you on Kiernan. He now looks like he could be a great signing after a very unfortunate start. He's 28, so loads of good years left in him. I'm still not sure if he should be used as a centre back again, or his new defensive midfield role. But he looks a very good player.

Kiernan is definitely someone who will benefit form a good pre-season. Showed by the Sunderland game that he could do really well with a recharged and full pre-season Dru.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for both players as I think a large chunk of our mid-field problems can be solved with who we have.

Worth pointing out last season we were the first L1 team to sign a player. Unfortunately he was injured for the season after one substitute appearance.

How early you sign players has no impact on finances - the club will start paying from 1st July, and if you sign them after this date, pay is usually backdated till then, or given as part of a ‘sign on bonus’.

Worth pointing out last season we were the first L1 team to sign a player. Unfortunately he was injured for the season after one substitute appearance.

How early you sign players has no impact on finances - the club will start paying from 1st July, and if you sign them after this date, pay is usually backdated till then, or given as part of a ‘sign on bonus’.

Not challenging what you say but Turner never signed until August because if he hadn't found a club by the start of July, then Norwich had to pay him another month.

Kiernan is definitely someone who will benefit form a good pre-season. Showed by the Sunderland game that he could do really well with a recharged and full pre-season Dru.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for both players as I think a large chunk of our mid-field problems can be solved with who we have.

Agreed. Mantom, Kiernan and Yearwood look to be a decent midfield three. Certainly our problems in central midfield have been overstated because it's not easy being the pivot in a side that is constantly changing system and personnel. Mantom in particularly is a much better player than he was able to show last season.

Are we actually putting Kiernan in CM now then? I'd be moving him back to CB in heartbeat and just trying to rebuild the midfield.

Salford's financial situation does lend them that benefit though. Anyone they want who they're competing against at this level they can get without much trouble.

Surely the Fair Play rules mean that Salford will only be able to get so far before they are hit with financial sanctions? Wrexham, for example, were drawing bigger attendances.

Surely the Fair Play rules mean that Salford will only be able to get so far before they are hit with financial sanctions? Wrexham, for example, were drawing bigger attendances.

They're exempt for two seasons. So they'll try and power through to the money in the Championship.

Are we actually putting Kiernan in CM now then? I'd be moving him back to CB in heartbeat and just trying to rebuild the midfield.

100%.

Kiernan is the best centre back at the club. Alongside a fit Lennon, now that would be a great L1 central defensive pairing. I can't see us keeping Turner so I'd like to see a dominant replacement to act as backup as both Lennon and Kiernan are injury prone. Left back is a problem as I don't think Hendrie is the right person, Coker and Kyprianou won't be fit for pre season and I don't even think we should offer Coker a deal. We won't get Hart - too expensive. No issues at right back with Demi, Elvis and White (if we keep him) who can cover that.

Dieng is best at the holding role and when we play well, he is excellent at that.

Mantom showed what a good player he can be in the last 2 home games. Both him and Dru are very good when on form in the middle. Hyam is also decent if fit and will deputise for Mantom. We don't have a Dru replacement which as we have seen, when he's injured or off form is an issue. But for me it was the complete lack of form of Macca and Kightly which put so much pressure on everyone else. Both had awful seasons. Kightly I think is just too old. Macca needs the occasional rocket up his arse and then he can be a great player. But for whatever reason, it didn't happen last season and was like playing with 9 or 10 men when they were in the team. We need a proper wide player to put pressure on them Sam Barratt could be that player if we offer him a deal and if he can get fit.

Up front Cox, Humphreys and Hopper is a pretty good selection of strikers to have. Kelman, Acquah and Hutchinson are on the fringes.

We don't need much to be honest. We just need the good players we have to a) be fit, and b) turn up. A couple of additions and just average luck next season and we'll be fine.

I'm certainly not a fan of Dieng, Hyam is too injury prone, but sadly I don't think we'll be able to offload either. Will we be signing any more central midfielders? Maybe one but the budget won't allow for any more than that.

I'm happy with Kiernan in either position to be honest but I think it's best that he has a consistent role in the side. We totally lacked consistency of line-up and system last year (not anyone's fault really) and that really damaged us.

Back