• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

The key is to sign lots of players every window and the sooner the better.

A good example would be the club who finished in the L1 play-offs twice in recent years. They didn't go up so changed plenty of players and even binned a decent manger. Anyway well done Scunthorpe you have now finally got out of L1.

Another example of course is Peterborough who do the same and are viewed to have an excellent business model that other clubs are thought bizarrely not too follow. There regular forays into the market early and signing numerous players on loan or otherwise have seen them constantly vie for promotion, 6th in 2014, ninth last year, one point off play offs this. Yes it clearly doesnt work as a strategy does it ??. Now let me think , would I prefer to be constantly vying for promotion on just avoiding relegation?

Just illustrating you cant hold on to just one staid view of the process

Peterborough's model certainly works for them (although I think this is the first season in a while where they've finished above us) but you do need a certain set of circumstances for it to work.

Barry Fry is worth his weight in gold for them (and that is a lot of gold). He can get an extra zero on the end of any receiving transfer fee. Therefore they have money they can spend on transfer fees. This is also circular. They are cash-rich so clubs know they are going to have to offer more money to get them to sell. We got about £750k for Leonard IIRC. Fry would have got £3million.

Also they've built up a reputation as the go-to club for signing young non-league players. They are as a result the front runners to sign any player at that level.

They do unearth some gems, but they also turn over a lot of players and most of their signings end up back in non-league. But a couple of Dwight Gayles and Marcus Maddisons can set you up for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign more players from non-league. But by and large, players are playing at that level for a reason. At the moment, we don't have too many positions where we can afford to take that risk. Maybe if Robinson leaves, we might look to that level for our fourth striker.

Peterborough's model certainly works for them (although I think this is the first season in a while where they've finished above us) but you do need a certain set of circumstances for it to work.

Barry Fry is worth his weight in gold for them (and that is a lot of gold). He can get an extra zero on the end of any receiving transfer fee. Therefore they have money they can spend on transfer fees. This is also circular. They are cash-rich so clubs know they are going to have to offer more money to get them to sell. We got about £750k for Leonard IIRC. Fry would have got £3million.

Also they've built up a reputation as the go-to club for signing young non-league players. They are as a result the front runners to sign any player at that level.

They do unearth some gems, but they also turn over a lot of players and most of their signings end up back in non-league. But a couple of Dwight Gayles and Marcus Maddisons can set you up for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign more players from non-league. But by and large, players are playing at that level for a reason. At the moment, we don't have too many positions where we can afford to take that risk. Maybe if Robinson leaves, we might look to that level for our fourth striker.

Not to mention improving stadium and club infrastructure at the same time. They have a business model and a plan. Ron hasn't been able to even start his no 1 target for 20 years and just continues to build up debt.

Left back is a problem as I don't think Hendrie is the right person, Coker and Kyprianou won't be fit for pre season and I don't even think we should offer Coker a deal. We won't get Hart - too expensive.

Demetriou is the answer at left-back.

Another example of course is Peterborough who do the same and are viewed to have an excellent business model that other clubs are thought bizarrely not too follow. There regular forays into the market early and signing numerous players on loan or otherwise have seen them constantly vie for promotion, 6th in 2014, ninth last year, one point off play offs this. Yes it clearly doesnt work as a strategy does it ??. Now let me think , would I prefer to be constantly vying for promotion on just avoiding relegation?

Just illustrating you cant hold on to just one staid view of the process

By who ? Judas maybe but not everyone. Including many of their own fans who don't warm to the revolving door policy that may benefit some but not always the fans.

If your looking for examples Barry then I wouldn't say posh are a good one. Lowered themselves to employ Evans and on a big spend they failed.Top of the league when they came to RH but never made the play-offs because as per normal there is no heart in a team full of players knowing they are short term or using the club as a stepping stone.

As there are 91 other clubs, you can always end up being jealous of the Jones's so to speak. As we have had our worst ever season for injuries you cant compare 'business' models with anyone this season.

By who ? Judas maybe but not everyone. Including many of their own fans who don't warm to the revolving door policy that may benefit some but not always the fans.

If your looking for examples Barry then I wouldn't say posh are a good one. Lowered themselves to employ Evans and on a big spend they failed.Top of the league when they came to RH but never made the play-offs because as per normal there is no heart in a team full of players knowing they are short term or using the club as a stepping stone.

As there are 91 other clubs, you can always end up being jealous of the Jones's so to speak. As we have had our worst ever season for injuries you cant compare 'business' models with anyone this season.

They also automatically transfer list anyone who reaches the last 12 months of their contact, so they can sell them , for a fee, in the Summer window rather than have them refuse a new contract during the season and slope off the next season.

Surely an important part of any clubs business model has to include Increasing the number of paying customers filling the seats. Year on year, despite the poor state of The Hall Ron's managers have held the numbers, or increased them slightly.
And a large part of PS, PB and CP leaving was the stale gameplay, and questioning of the behind the scenes policies and tactics that were producing negative, dull footie and poorer attendances.
Posh have plateaued for years and maybe lost support despite "big " spending, names and new stands.

Plateauing close to the play offs for a n umber years whilst making a fortune on transfers isnt the worst world to inherit, or perhaps we prefer regular trips to HM Tax collectors

I see Jack Marriott just scored for Derby against Leeds. . Oh wasnt he bought for a relatively small fee by Peterborough and named player of the year year in League one and in PFA team of the year and scored 33 goals in 56 appearances and sold on for a FORTUNE. Yes these regular transfer dealings by Peterborough are a disaster are they not ?

I see Jack Marriott just scored for Derby against Leeds. . Oh wasnt he bought for a relatively small fee by Peterborough and named player of the year year in League one and in PFA team of the year and scored 33 goals in 56 appearances and sold on for a FORTUNE. Yes these regular transfer dealings by Peterborough are a disaster are they not ?
Here's the Posh fans forum link if you want to share your post with them Barry.

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/

I wouldn't call £250,000 plus add-ons a small fee. Certainly far more than we have spent in about the last 10 seasons.

Yes Posh made money on Marriot. Some of it would help to pay for their other signing that season.....Ricky not one single goal Miller. He also cost more than £250,000.

So not every player earns them money. In fact they lost nearly £1m on Tyrone Barnett.

Where as of course if you spend that money on your academy you get to sell on the likes of Bentley, Payne and eventually Dru........And we didn't have to risk £10 let alone £1m to sign any of them.

I wouldn't call £250,000 plus add-ons a small fee. Certainly far more than we have spent in about the last 10 seasons.

Yes Posh made money on Marriot. Some of it would help to pay for their other signing that season.....Ricky not one single goal Miller. He also cost more than £250,000.

So not every player earns them money. In fact they lost nearly £1m on Tyrone Barnett.

Where as of course if you spend that money on your academy you get to sell on the likes of Bentley, Payne and eventually Dru........And we didn't have to risk £10 let alone £1m to sign any of them.

Sorry rigsby, where do you get this stuff from? Marriot cost Peterborough £500,000, and Miller was a free transfer.

Sorry rigsby, where do you get this stuff from? Marriot cost Peterborough £500,000, and Miller was a free transfer.
You do need a lot of cash flow to do what P'boro have been doing, and until this last set of results they have been making similar losses to us while rarely finishing above us (they at last made a small profit this year). It's an interesting model, but it does rely on big backing to get through the years of duff purchases that will happen and if it was so great they should be fighting for top 3 every season, their wage bill must be crazy.

Jesus you know it’s the off-season when we start debating at length the successes and failures of Peterborough United’s non league transfer dealings.

I’ve also already made my annual post to explain why Southend are “slow” in the transfer market and haven’t already signed 10 players.

Can’t we discuss something new. I dunno like whether Sam Barratt should or will be given another chance this year? I’ll start by saying he seems a great character to have around the squad. He’s been very vocal in his support of the boys all season despite knowing from almost day one that he would play no part in it. Plus he looked very lively in his brief cameo against Leeds in pre-season.

Everyone knows not every signing is going to work. They are happy to risk a portion of their profits at a high risk to replicate that high reward.

We buy expensive scrap metal to rust in a field. Great business don't you think.

I haven't checked any data on websites just gong by what a Peterborough fan told me.

I asked him about their many dealings and he explained it that they often pay about 50% up front and the rest is add-ons for number of games etc.......Apart from when they sold off their car park way to cheap of course.

Everyone knows not every signing is going to work. They are happy to risk a portion of their profits at a high risk to replicate that high reward.

We buy expensive scrap metal to rust in a field. Great business don't you think.

If you build it, they will come.

I haven't checked any data on websites just gong by what a Peterborough fan told me.

I asked him about their many dealings and he explained it that they often pay about 50% up front and the rest is add-ons for number of games etc.......Apart from when they sold off their car park way to cheap of course.

Sounds familiar! Are Southend Council in charge of Posh? They probably thought the name fitted...

Back