• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

I'm sure KB's mobile will take a bashing where ever he is.

I believe he got real late deal courtesy of SH holidays

Centre midfield is not the priority; we are short in other positions, centre midfield we are not; whether you rate the players or not.

I never said central midfield was the priority, but if you seriously expect us to challenge for the top 6 (which should be the aim given our budget) with this group of central midfielders then I'd class that as....well....optimistic to say the least.

For the record I don't think we'll find ourselves in the dire situation we were in last season and I'd expect us to consolidate but recruitment is absolutely key in the areas we are short and also in the middle of the park.

I never said central midfield was the priority, but if you seriously expect us to challenge for the top 6 (which should be the aim given our budget) with this group of central midfielders then I'd class that as....well....optimistic to say the least.

For the record I don't think we'll find ourselves in the dire situation we were in last season and I'd expect us to consolidate but recruitment is absolutely key in the areas we are short and also in the middle of the park.

If Luke Hyam can get fit and stay fit - and its possible, with the right support - then we could have a very good player on our hands there. Mantom can be part of a good team and so can Yearwood.

In order to get the best out of our central midfield though we need good outlets for them on the wing and up front. We should hopefully have those this coming season.

If Luke Hyam can get fit and stay fit - and its possible, with the right support - then we could have a very good player on our hands there. Mantom can be part of a good team and so can Yearwood.

In order to get the best out of our central midfield though we need good outlets for them on the wing and up front. We should hopefully have those this coming season.

I agree Hyam's a decent player but he's made just 71 league appearances in 5 years - so many injuries and after just a handful of starts last season don't bank on him staying fit next term. A lot of people were berating this central midfield as one of the worst we've seen in the last 20 years at the Hall and I wouldn't argue with that - definitely lacking in quality. Just one talented new addition would make a big difference.

I agree Hyam's a decent player but he's made just 71 league appearances in 5 years - so many injuries and after just a handful of starts last season don't bank on him staying fit next term. A lot of people were berating this central midfield as one of the worst we've seen in the last 20 years at the Hall and I wouldn't argue with that - definitely lacking in quality. Just one talented new addition would make a big difference.

Your right in what you say but Bond is talking about positions with known vacancies.

The midfield would be the area where we may see a loanee or 2.

I personally expect a much better season from Dru and with a fully fit and sharper Kiernan, the pressure wont be on Mantom. Far to many fans expected him to suddenly be the midfield provider because others were failing last season. Mantom is midfield workhorse but does get into good positions in the box and is another one who will do better next season

Obviously nothing to report then!!
Anyone know how long he's going away for so we know how long we've got to wait before we might hear some / any news? :Winking:

Depends how long it takes him to track down Mohsni.

The midfield always looked better when either Hopper or Humphrys played, and, no doubt, this was partially because the opposition were reluctant to let their central defenders push up when they had to deal with players who had both ability and a physical presence. That left more space in the midfield to be exploited by us.
Good a player as Cox is he lacks that physical edge possessed by the other two, and, when he played up front our midfield always seemed to be play deeper thus not only ceding ground to our opponents but sometimes giving the impression we were being overrun.
If Hopper or Humphrys or both can play in most of our matches I would predict that any combination of Kiernan, Mantom, Dieng, Yearwood or Hyam (and maybe Klass and Gard) will prove to be adequate.
Of course, we will be even stronger if we are able to add a quality midfielder to the squad.

I’m not disagreeing with that but if you mention Klass and Gard as possible additions to our midfield, do you not think Hutchinson, who scored over 20 goals from centre midfield may also have some input next season?

I thought of him more as a forward but yes he could contribute.
I’m not disagreeing with that but if you mention Klass and Gard as possible additions to our midfield, do you not think Hutchinson, who scored over 20 goals from centre midfield may also have some input next season?

Is Bond really serious about the job he has taken on? If you or I had just been appointed manager would we be taking a holiday at such a crucial time, allowing other clubs to steal a march re transfers, pre season preparation etc, especially having been out of the game for a while? I think not. Is he moving house to be on the scene locally? This looks more and more like a typical Martin PR job. Hope I am wrong, now donning the tinfoil hat in expectation of nuclear fallout.

Is Bond really serious about the job he has taken on? If you or I had just been appointed manager would we be taking a holiday at such a crucial time, allowing other clubs to steal a march re transfers, pre season preparation etc, especially having been out of the game for a while? I think not. Is he moving house to be on the scene locally? This looks more and more like a typical Martin PR job. Hope I am wrong, now donning the tinfoil hat in expectation of nuclear fallout.

HOW DARE ANYONE TAKE A HOLIDAY DURING THE OFF SEASON! Luckily/unluckily we live in a world with constant connectivity and travel. I’m sure if needed he can answer a call or WhatsApp unless he is holidaying in the Antarctic.

HOW DARE ANYONE TAKE A HOLIDAY DURING THE OFF SEASON! Luckily/unluckily we live in a world with constant connectivity and travel. I’m sure if needed he can answer a call or WhatsApp unless he is holidaying in the Antarctic.
Maybe so, but taking on a new job after a while out of the game it might be a good idea to devote all your time to it instead of swanning off on holiday.

Love the way some people think we are always 'missing out' on all theses players.

Its not the school playground in the 70's. "Who's turn to pick next"

Someone who is signing from non league obviously wants to have early concrete plans for the summer

Then you have the players that were released because they weren't good enough wanting to get a contract quickly.

Many off the players that are any good will still be on holiday right now. These are the ones who's contract is up but have choices. Players similar to Sonny Bradley, Lyle Taylor, Tom Hopper etc.

Their agents will already have the offers in front of them. Some will want to forget football until they get back, others will be chatting with their other half about about moving and the kids school etc.

Yes the agents will be up to some sneaky tricks. They will get the full contract details from club A. Then slope off to club B with the proof and point out their player likes A's training facilities, his wife is already friends with another wife at the club etc. "But hey if you were to offer another 2K a week I recon he will sign."

Things will start to hot up in the next 2/3 weeks. The one thing that will have no effect on who we sign is KB's Holiday. So where ever he is, or what ever he is up to, All inclusive with the family, clubbing in Ibiza, or learning to thatch a roof in Shropshire.. Good luck to him because the real work starts in 3 weeks and as some of you always forget. They give out the medals in May not the first week in September.

Last edited:
I agree with much of the above and what has been said in defence of Bondys holiday break, However quite a lot might also depend on the role of the Manager and how he sees it, Some Managers ,and perhaps in the minority, are absolutely insistent that they will not depart for different shores until they have seen through most of the transfer dealing on the Clubs list. Chris Powell himself was a little in that mode was he not ?

I agree with much of the above and what has been said in defence of Bondys holiday break, However quite a lot might also depend on the role of the Manager and how he sees it, Some Managers ,and perhaps in the minority, are absolutely insistent that they will not depart for different shores until they have seen through most of the transfer dealing on the Clubs list. Chris Powell himself was a little in that mode was he not ?

KB will have already sorted out he who wants. Who will be second choice and who are likely loans.

Despite what people claimed on here, PB used to do all the hard work in the first 2 weeks after the season ended. He would speak to around 30 players and be up and down the country in meetings with around 15 of them.

Unfortunately as CP found out and so will KB, the Southend United 'keep net' can easily have a hole poked in it by some bigger predators in the pond.

It’s not just down to the manager, he will know who and where he wants to strengthen. If he already has targets he will pass them onto Ron who will do the dirty work. I’ve read plenty of books of ex players and managers and they get texts and sign players whilst they’re away.

Give the guy a break, let him enjoy his holiday. The signings will come it’s very early days yet. Stuff if going on in the background and no doubt we have offered players contracts already. I have faith!

Back