• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

Stuart O Keefe signed for Gillingham, anybody remember him from our yoofs or have a view. ? I see he went on from us to play 36 games for Palace and 38 for Cardiff as well as loans out for Portsmouth, Blackpool and MK Dons

One of the players who left because he hadn't been paid at the end of the Tilly relegation season. IIRC he hadn't made that many first team appearances and I was quite surprised he went to Palace ,

Transfers starting to heat up now as 36 gone through, the main culprits being the Unmentionables on 7, Gillngham 4 Coventry 4 MK Dons 4 and Ipswich 3 , although 11 clubs not bothered yet

Absolutely agree with this.

To my point- this is where every manager starts- then he is first defender on team sheet. Not tall enough (yet wins more than his fair share in the air), not strong enough (yet stands up well and dishes it out where necessary), not quick enough (yet actually given years as a full back is faster than most CBs). But yet for every manager thus far first choice with 4-6 weeks every season. As I say a monotonous predictability season on season.. (I think the term used to be 'under rated').

Not surprised negotiation will take little while and there is time- club will want to pay less, he will want more based on his contribution (particularly on the pitch rather than the physio table). It might not be money- he might be willing to take the same or even a little less but want a two year contract. Who knows..

It's often the smallest things that make the difference between having an average season and having a successful one.
There have been many occasions when White has been excellent for 85 minutes but we as a team end up getting undone by a set piece whereby White has either been out muscled or out jumped by a bigger, more imposing player leading to a goal.
Personally, its comforting knowing we have 2 tall, physically strong centre halves who can deal with that side of the game rather than worrying whether White can get away with pulling an opposition shirt to gain the advantage he needs to be able to clear the danger.

It's often the smallest things that make the difference between having an average season and having a successful one.
There have been many occasions when White has been excellent for 85 minutes but we as a team end up getting undone by a set piece whereby White has either been out muscled or out jumped by a bigger, more imposing player leading to a goal.
Personally, its comforting knowing we have 2 tall, physically strong centre halves who can deal with that side of the game rather than worrying whether White can get away with pulling an opposition shirt to gain the advantage he needs to be able to clear the danger.

Smallest things? You’re arguing biggest!

To my point- this is where every manager starts- then he is first defender on team sheet. Not tall enough (yet wins more than his fair share in the air), not strong enough (yet stands up well and dishes it out where necessary), not quick enough (yet actually given years as a full back is faster than most CBs). But yet for every manager thus far first choice with 4-6 weeks every season. As I say a monotonous predictability season on season.. (I think the term used to be 'under rated').

Not surprised negotiation will take little while and there is time- club will want to pay less, he will want more based on his contribution (particularly on the pitch rather than the physio table). It might not be money- he might be willing to take the same or even a little less but want a two year contract. Who knows..

I’m torn on this. John White has been a magnificent servant for us and players like him and Michael Timlin don’t come along that often. They’ll give you 7 out of 10 every week, rarely get injured, and will play anywhere you ask of them. They are both natural leaders on the pitch by demonstrating professionalism every time they train or play.

However everyone has a shelf life and we’ve seen what happens when we keep older players too long.
If we want to challenge for the playoffs next season then IMO we need a stronger centre half than John White as first choice. I still think he’ll get a lot of games and be a key squad player but as a starter I think we can do better.

I’m torn on this. John White has been a magnificent servant for us and players like him and Michael Timlin don’t come along that often. They’ll give you 7 out of 10 every week, rarely get injured, and will play anywhere you ask of them. They are both natural leaders on the pitch by demonstrating professionalism every time they train or play.

However everyone has a shelf life and we’ve seen what happens when we keep older players too long.
If we want to challenge for the playoffs next season then IMO we need a stronger centre half than John White as first choice. I still think he’ll get a lot of games and be a key squad player but as a starter I think we can do better.

Assuming that Lennon doesn’t break down after two matches, is this the “better” you’re referring to?
As to your other point regarding keeping older players too long, you would perhaps have noticed old man McCormack running the Roots Hall pitch for Luton last season and of course our youthful midfielders being nowhere near up to the job and nearly getting us relegated?
JW is still 32 for crying out loud. Wish I was so old and past it.

I've seen a few people mention this now, but we missed out getting relegated on goal difference only - I would hope no one is expecting us to challenge for the playoffs...staying up with greater than 3 minutes remaining of the season should be seen as a step forward:Hilarious:

Assuming that Lennon doesn’t break down after two matches, is this the “better” you’re referring to?
As to your other point regarding keeping older players too long, you would perhaps have noticed old man McCormack running the Roots Hall pitch for Luton last season and of course our youthful midfielders being nowhere near up to the job and nearly getting us relegated?
JW is still 32 for crying out loud. Wish I was so old and past it.

Yep and John White and Michael Turner were two of the players he was running!

Wonder what people’s feelings would be on White had Humphrys not scored the winner against Sunderland. He very very nearly ****ed it up for us with not one but two very silly and poor challenges in the penalty area.

Just seen Taylor Moore’s Instagram story saying “we had feelings ya no... just put pen to paper” but seems to have been deleted. And he’s also posting multiple pics of him in Southend shirt?

Wonder what people’s feelings would be on White had Humphrys not scored the winner against Sunderland. He very very nearly ****ed it up for us with not one but two very silly and poor challenges in the penalty area.

Forgetting the goal he scored?

Taylor Moore's just posted a couple of photos from his time at Southend on his instagram story... am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7, or does this mean what I hope it means? :Thumbs up:

I've seen a few people mention this now, but we missed out getting relegated on goal difference only - I would hope no one is expecting us to challenge for the playoffs...staying up with greater than 3 minutes remaining of the season should be seen as a step forward:Hilarious:

No I'm not expecting a top 6 finish, but I do expect us to be finishing higher Up The table if Hopper, Humphreys, Demi, Kiernan, Lennon stay remotely fit.

If we had that lot last season we would have been comfortably mid table.

John White will always be marmite to everyone on here. The conversation regarding his worth has been identical for the last 3/4 seasons now. I'm firmly in the 'keep him' camp because he can do a job for us wherever he plays. The opinion that he's not FL1 quality is, quite frankly, not evidenced by our last three managers team selections, where he has always managed to muscle his way into the starting 11 and stay there when fit. It may be now that we don't want to pay him as much as he thinks he is worth, after all, at 32 he doesn't have that many seasons left in him. I say keep him, but at the end of the day it will be down to Ron, John and Kevin to finaise whatever contract discussions are going on. (I might just copy and paste this ready for next year's JW debate).

Both Hart and Taylor Moore have profile picture of themselves wearing Southend shirts (not their current clubs) on their Twitter feed too..

Sadly many things can get between us and them being here next season..

Each year it appears we have signed people who will keep him out of the first 11 but John White always ends up getting back into the starting line up - as you say, our last three managers have picked him.

Just seen Taylor Moore’s Instagram story saying “we had feelings ya no... just put pen to paper” but seems to have been deleted. And he’s also posting multiple pics of him in Southend shirt?

Maybe he has just bought one of those smartphones and is trying it out?

We can't be signing him. KB is on holiday and nothing can happen when the Manager isn't physically there.

What do you mean we already signed someone?

Fake news.

Back