• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

The only thing Moore doesn't yet have is the ability to score at set pieces, something that John White is quite good at. His improvised goal against Sunderland was a joy to watch

White has become more of a threat at set pieces but he's scored 7 league goals in six seasons with us!

I like Moore and would welcome a permanent return. Should he come in and be a starter alongside Kiernan (who, once fit and has a full pre-season should be our first choice central defender) I am a little concerned about how that pairing would deal with big, physical strikers in the league. Neither of them are necessarily physically imposing and am not convinced that as a pair it would be as successful as we all would like.

Perhaps KB sees Kiernan as a midfield player and therefore should Moore sign he would partner somebody else. Lennon? Still not convinced. Doesn't defend one v ones well enough when being faced up. White? How much has he left and also lacks physical attributes to deal with the Wykes of the division.

Even with Moore signing, I don't see that as our defensive situation being all sorted. Personally, I would add Moore if the deal could be done and still look for another CB to come in. This would mean other(s) would then have to go before that could happen.

Maybe we should convert Dieng to a full CB. I really don't rate him as a CM.

Me and you are becoming worryingly more alike......I shouted this all of last season particularly in the ore match threads each week

I disagree that our centre backs are not imposing. Should Rob Kiernan be the manager's choice to play there, he is certainly imposing. Taylor Moore isn't exactly weak either. Taylor isn't the finished article but if we do get him permanently, what a statement of intent.

Even if Moore signs, with Turner gone I'm sure we will see an imposing big CB either signed permanent or on loan.

lets hope Lennon can avoid injury because i'm sure with a good run of games we will see a better player than we have so far.

White is a lot like Prosser. Everyone notices the bad things but not the good things.
Again. This isn’t really true. People do notice the good things, but the issue with some like JW is the fact he’s an undersized and fairly slow CB. it’s not just about his individual performance and contest, but it’s about how we’re balanced as a team. Without getting into technical issues, we end up limited as a defensive unit when we struggle aerially and against fast teams with him playing. Sadly in L1 you’re often up against big strong and quick strikers because it’s about dominating a team in some way. Our best CBS in recent times (Barrett, Clarke, Spinner, Egan, Sokalik (mk1), Dervite) have been able to dominate in some way, even if limited in a particular attribute. JW is steady and reliable but we need a little more as a first choice CB. At the other end of the pitch you can see how effective Humphreys is, and he’d absolute murder JW.

Assuming that Lennon doesn’t break down after two matches, is this the “better” you’re referring to?

Possibly. He’s younger, taller and faster than John White but yeah seems extremely injury prone at the moment. But in a lot of the “who’s the best at X” questions in player interviews Harry Lennon comes near the top. John White himself said Lennon is the quickest at the club. So for me the jury’s still out on Lennon but yeah there’s potential for him to be a first choice starter. Chris Powell certainly signed him to be just that.

To answer another reply, am I expecting a playoff push? Not expecting no, but I wouldn’t rule it out. I honestly think if our front three stay fit for the majority of the season we won’t be short of goals. Yes we stayed up by the skin of our teeth but as we all know injuries ravaged our season and put us on a downward spiral that we miraculously turned around with 3 minutes of the season left. A lot of senior players at the club had poor seasons but I really feel last year was a freak season in terms of the constant bad luck.

With a few key signings in defence and midfield and a fully fit squad I see no reason why we can’t be more successful next year. League One is ridiculously even throughout the division bar the huge clubs that come down from the Championship with big budgets. For that reason we’re now very unlikely to ever finish in the top two in this league. I think the best we can hope for is battling for the 6th playoff spot tbh.

If and it’s quite a bit if, if everything goes in our favour next year we could challenge for that, despite last season in my opinion. We weren’t that far away under Phil Brown a few years back so the club is capable. The team’s changed a lot since but I still think we’ve got some decent players.

The real question for me is whether Kevin Bond is capable. We’ll just have to wait and see on that.

If the Taylor Moore does sign that would leave us with three right backs. I know he can play in the middle but that would leave us with one of the shortest back four/fives in the league.

If the Taylor Moore does sign that would leave us with three right backs. I know he can play in the middle but that would leave us with one of the shortest back four/fives in the league.
Didn't he play CB for pretty much the whole of last season...

I disagree that our centre backs are not imposing. Should Rob Kiernan be the manager's choice to play there, he is certainly imposing. Taylor Moore isn't exactly weak either. Taylor isn't the finished article but if we do get him permanently, what a statement of intent.

TM and RK would be a delight to play against for a big target man. We need at least one center back who is superior in the air to these guys.

to maybe put more meat on the bone of Taylor Moores transfer .I see on the Bristol city site that it looks as if they will sign a center back from Chelsea who was on loan there last season .

Back