• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

When they signed Will Atkinson, it was part of a 5 year plan to be a Championship club.....How many times do we here that from owners at all levels. Far to many people with unrealistic 5 year plans that involve punching well above their weight. The result can be the Bury factor.

All very true, apart from the Bury bit. Bury were used in a scam by owner Stewart Day which fleeced the club. Crazy loans at silly interest rates, loaned from within his umbrella. Crazy fees charged by him. He then brought in Steve Dale to buy the club for £1, to take over and finish the asset stripping, and put the final nail in the coffin. The investigation is still going on. They both had dodgy pasts in this sort of thing.
Bolton are a better example of living beyond their means. Yeah, obviously all this throwing big money at a small club like Mansfield will make or break them. The thing is, it's crazy even investing all these millions of pounds with Mansfield as their fan base is so small, with small attendances that average about 4,300, and a ground capacity of 9186 due to safety restrictions.

Surely 5 year plans should not require promotions - staying sustainable at the level you are at has to be agenda number 1. Football is such a uniquely odd business.

Surely 5 year plans should not require promotions - staying sustainable at the level you are at has to be agenda number 1. Football is such a uniquely odd business.
Slightly disagree. Yes it should be about being sustainable but that only takes you so far, for Mansfield that plan should have been (in my opinion) years 1-3 be sustainable and push to be in the top 6, the years 4-5 push on to be in the top 2 or League 1. Then you push on again. If you dont have the hunger to be at a higher level i dont think you will ever be sustainable as fans will dwindle away until you get the die hard few and you never become sustainable or move forward.

If you over achieve in that 5 years then fine but always stay with in that 5 year budget or you could well be bitten if you go the other way

Slightly disagree. Yes it should be about being sustainable but that only takes you so far, for Mansfield that plan should have been (in my opinion) years 1-3 be sustainable and push to be in the top 6, the years 4-5 push on to be in the top 2 or League 1. Then you push on again. If you dont have the hunger to be at a higher level i dont think you will ever be sustainable as fans will dwindle away until you get the die hard few and you never become sustainable or move forward.

If you over achieve in that 5 years then fine but always stay with in that 5 year budget or you could well be bitten if you go the other way
Honestly though I think surviving as a club is a great achievement nowadays, especially as any promotions aren't leading to a guaranteed stability in the higher league. Yes it might not look as ambitious but that's because we are fed WIN, WIN, WIN all the time when consuming football when only a small percentage can be promoted and sustain growth.

Honestly though I think surviving as a club is a great achievement nowadays, especially as any promotions aren't leading to a guaranteed stability in the higher league. Yes it might not look as ambitious but that's because we are fed WIN, WIN, WIN all the time when consuming football when only a small percentage can be promoted and sustain growth.
Camden dont think I am having a go at all, i am not fed win win win. All i am saying is to be sustainable you also have to have ambition otherwise you will never be sustainable. Even if that ambition is to go from Non league to L2 or L2 to L1 you need it otherwise fans wont watch the product, they want that dream and their club

All very true, apart from the Bury bit. Bury were used in a scam by owner Stewart Day which fleeced the club. Crazy loans at silly interest rates, loaned from within his umbrella. Crazy fees charged by him. He then brought in Steve Dale to buy the club for £1, to take over and finish the asset stripping, and put the final nail in the coffin. The investigation is still going on. They both had dodgy pasts in this sort of thing.
Bolton are a better example of living beyond their means. Yeah, obviously all this throwing big money at a small club like Mansfield will make or break them. The thing is, it's crazy even investing all these millions of pounds with Mansfield as their fan base is so small, with small attendances that average about 4,300, and a ground capacity of 9186 due to safety restrictions.

Yes I understand the Bury situation. I meant fans desire to spend for so called success means they leave themselves open for con men to take advantage.....Which in turn can end up going the same way as Bury.

We were all told not to get in a strangers car if he offers you sweets......The average football fan would get in without even seeing the sweets.......Wigan being the latest example.

Camden dont think I am having a go at all, i am not fed win win win. All i am saying is to be sustainable you also have to have ambition otherwise you will never be sustainable. Even if that ambition is to go from Non league to L2 or L2 to L1 you need it otherwise fans wont watch the product, they want that dream and their club
Didn't think that so you are cool, no stresses. I've said this before though, I just don't remember when I started watching in the late 80's this mentality of promotion or bust. Personal choice but I am more stressed about going under than anything now, until the last few months I would have argued it's more manageable to fall from higher up the leagues though....

Didn't think that so you are cool, no stresses. I've said this before though, I just don't remember when I started watching in the late 80's this mentality of promotion or bust. Personal choice but I am more stressed about going under than anything now, until the last few months I would have argued it's more manageable to fall from higher up the leagues though....

One of the things that has changed since the 80s has been the downgrading of the cup competitions relative to the league.

Yet reaching Wembley and Millennium Stadium finals (and beating Col Ewe and Orient to get there), beating Man U, drawing at Stamford Bridge etc have been more memorable, enjoyable and indeed profitable than all but a couple of league seasons.

So there's much more than just chasing promotion if only managers would take it seriously.

One of the things that has changed since the 80s has been the downgrading of the cup competitions relative to the league.

Yet reaching Wembley and Millennium Stadium finals (and beating Col Ewe and Orient to get there), beating Man U, drawing at Stamford Bridge etc have been more memorable, enjoyable and indeed profitable than all but a couple of league seasons.

So there's much more than just chasing promotion if only managers would take it seriously.

It is such a shame, a cup run is great for small clubs like ourselves and of course if you get the right games it can be a game changer financially. We were on course to have our most profitable season since we were in the championship until Covid took it all away. Rumour has it we made around a Million pounds from our cup exploits, but all that has done is make the Covid situation as regards finance bearable.

I think Akinfenwa was bought up a while back, Wycombe have decided to give him a new contract for the championship so that's not going to happen.

It appears one of Stephen Humphrys mates thinks he’s not going to be here as we all expected. Humphrys tweeted about Leeds getting promoted and this was in this comments....

92468BAF-41BD-4468-B8C7-A69464FFA9C4.jpeg

Humphrys follows the account claiming he is off.

Are the two ex Macclesfield lads still around ?

Funny enough Osadebe put a picture on Twitter yesterday with the caption of ‘back’ and to me looks like one of the gates from the car park in the back of the picture ( could be completely wrong )

Funny enough Osadebe put a picture on Twitter yesterday with the caption of ‘back’ and to me looks like one of the gates from the car park in the back of the picture ( could be completely wrong )
Doesn’t look like it too me, also whats the LOL about.

I wouldn't blame Humphrys if he left. He gets a ridiculous amount of grief on here for someone who got clattered while scoring a goal that could have ended his career, scored THAT goal to keep us up, and was (I think?) top scorer despite further injuries, including another one breaking a bone when attempting to score.

If it wasn't for the serious injury at Accrington, we'd probably still have Powell in charge rather than having to resort to a dithering idiot and a cryptic weirdo.

I wouldn't blame Humphrys if he left. He gets a ridiculous amount of grief on here for someone who got clattered while scoring a goal that could have ended his career, scored THAT goal to keep us up, and was (I think?) top scorer despite further injuries, including another one breaking a bone when attempting to score.

If it wasn't for the serious injury at Accrington, we'd probably still have Powell in charge rather than having to resort to a dithering idiot and a cryptic weirdo.

I'd rather keep a fit and motivated Humphry's but I doubt that is what we will have in L2 next season unless the new manager has decent man management skills.

If he wants to go we will get some money for him as he's still under contract, for me he hasn't proven himself yet so the next move for him is crucial if he moves on

Back