• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

Wouldnt it be great if a higher wealthier club, aware of the difficulties faced by lower league clubs, did a decent deed and paid us a good lump upfront, knowing they will get a significant sum, but I suppose its dream on

Wouldn't it be great if a higher wealthier club, aware of the difficulties faced by lower league clubs, did a decent deed and paid us a good lump upfront, knowing they will get a significant sum, but I suppose its dream on

It would be better if we managed our own finances better. This would mean we didn't need to look longingly at 'bigger' clubs and hope they'd overpay for one of our players. We can start going on about the difficulties faced by the lower league clubs at the point where we've put our own house in order.

It would be better if we managed our own finances better. This would mean we didn't need to look longingly at 'bigger' clubs and hope they'd overpay for one of our players. We can start going on about the difficulties faced by the lower league clubs at the point where we've put our own house in order.

Quite right , although I was impressed by Steve Bruce coming out and saying that Prem Clubs really should step up to the plate and help out in these exceptional times

The new wage cup as I understand it makes it more likely we could choose to retain certain players we otherwise would be tempted to let go.

It reads to me that for relegated clubs they can count existing players already under contract as if they are paid at the new divisional average until that contract expires.

Ultimately a relegated L1 club could retain much of their squad if they were under contract and end up with an actual spend beyond the L1 cap let alone the L2 cap.

So if you a relegated from L1 you probably have a year with a significant advantage before the L2 cap really bites?

The new wage cup as I understand it makes it more likely we could choose to retain certain players we otherwise would be tempted to let go.

It reads to me that for relegated clubs they can count existing players already under contract as if they are paid at the new divisional average until that contract expires.

Ultimately a relegated L1 club could retain much of their squad if they were under contract and end up with an actual spend beyond the L1 cap let alone the L2 cap.

So if you a relegated from L1 you probably have a year with a significant advantage before the L2 cap really bites?
Agree, so if Sunderland (or any club) had players earning vast amounts or signed players before the cap came in on really high salaries, those players would be treated as earning the average of the division they are in. SO helps SUnderland and others ina way but when those contracts are due for renewal they will lose out massively if they have not moved up the leagues

True, although it is of course not just about that. Ron mentioned at the supporters' liaison meeting in February, long before COVID shook things up, that he was looking for a player budget of £1.5million this season, that's in line with the L2 cap anyway.

Making the club sustainable has to be the aim.

True, although it is of course not just about that. Ron mentioned at the supporters' liaison meeting in February, long before COVID shook things up, that he was looking for a player budget of £1.5million this season, that's in line with the L2 cap anyway.

Making the club sustainable has to be the aim.
He did say this and i think he also said to CP in an interview he would be in favour of a salary cap, but am sure he said they other day he isnt as it restricts owner investment, also think I saw somewhere us and Bradford voted against it. He has obviously changed his mind on his views which he is entitled to do i guess

It's even worse for teams relegated from the Championship. Aveerage wage budget there is around £30m, if their players all get set to the league average when going down to L1 they'd have a massive advantage.

It's even worse for teams relegated from the Championship. Aveerage wage budget there is around £30m, if their players all get set to the league average when going down to L1 they'd have a massive advantage.
Worse if they dont go up withthe players they kept as they will need to find players for that level but not worse if they all signed 3 year contracts before relegation they as you say have a big advantage and have 3 years of championship wages in the lower division to get them selves back up. Bolton did it with Doyle to a degree clever play by them

Worse if they dont go up withthe players they kept as they will need to find players for that level but not worse if they all signed 3 year contracts before relegation they as you say have a big advantage and have 3 years of championship wages in the lower division to get them selves back up. Bolton did it with Doyle to a degree clever play by them

Feel like it should only be allowed for one season and if they don't go back up at the first time of asking then they have to sell or renegotiate the contract.

Is this a new competition?

So still no manager. No signings. No season cards available or fixtures and crowds etc.

Yet other clubs are signing players. Playing friendlies and selling season cards.

The new kit is the bollocks though

He did say this and i think he also said to CP in an interview he would be in favour of a salary cap, but am sure he said they other day he isnt as it restricts owner investment, also think I saw somewhere us and Bradford voted against it. He has obviously changed his mind on his views which he is entitled to do i guess

It's not just a cap on wages but also includes agent expenditure.

I wonder if that's what he's upset about? Particularly if 'Arry is looking to make an investment in the club.

It's not just a cap on wages but also includes agent expenditure.

I wonder if that's what he's upset about? Particularly if 'Arry is looking to make an investment in the club.

Perhaps Ron knows he has money coming soon and was hoping to spend his way back to L1......Certainly once a stadium is being built, without a wage cap Ron could spend in advance like Brentford in order to get to the Championship....Knowing pay day is round the corner.

From there is not to far out to assume the club would be more attractive to say a Dutch consortium if they can spend rather than graft their way up the leagues. Just like the Ruskies did at Bournemouth.

I don't see any other reason why Ron would not agree to a wage cap.

Perhaps Ron knows he has money coming soon and was hoping to spend his way back to L1......Certainly once a stadium is being built, without a wage cap Ron could spend in advance like Brentford in order to get to the Championship....Knowing pay day is round the corner.

From there is not to far out to assume the club would be more attractive to say a Dutch consortium if they can spend rather than graft their way up the leagues. Just like the Ruskies did at Bournemouth.

I don't see any other reason why Ron would not agree to a wage cap.
Its probably not the wage cap he doesn't like in principle- but this wage cap he dislikes specifically. It gives a big advantage
1. to clubs buying before the announcement (not us or other under embargo who a badly penalised)
2. by enabling relegated clubs to keep their high earners and count them towards the cap at the average L2 salary cap wage (big big advantage if you keep them on but Ron no doubt had in some cases other ideas- now somehow if he has any pretence of competing he needs to review who he keeps in a different light as any replacement will be at 1.5m/20= 75k= £1.5k per week including fees, taxes etc. We may have some negative thoughts re some of the higher earners but replacing them with someone as good or better on that money is more fantasy..

Back