• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Sunderland 1 Southend United 0

Definite improvement from what I gathered on the radio commentary, especially in the second half. We can't really expect to gain any points at the Stadium of Light but the Sunderland supporters were getting nervous towards the end as we exerted pressure and had a couple of good chances. Sol can build from this. All will be well.

Definitely better. Back 3 look settled with dieng given license to bring it out which worked well and Shaughnessy looking more assured. Bwomono was very good outlet on right and used the ball really well.

hutch got caught on the ball a couple of times, but had spells of looking like he's going to become a player and the front 3 worked hard, carving a couple of chances out and Cox putting in a shift all over the park.

Sol impresses just by being ever-present on the touch line, directing, encouraging. Even in the last seconds when we had a free kick, Ralph was taking instructions from Sol.

I think the team will be encouraged by the performance and i think it will be one of those where the Sunderland people will be amazed by where we are and praise our performance.

Anther tough game at Pompey, then we HAVE to start getting points on the board. It would have given Sol 3 weeks to drill this lot and signs are its beginning to work.

I am pleased, we all know we are going down but at least if we go down with some fight the season isn’t completely lost. I reckon with a good clear out and Sol and his team working on these boys and the ones he brings in we could have an exciting season next year. I thank my lucky stars we stayed up as this team would probably have double relegated on us

Sol Campbell after the game

Sol said:
“The performance has gone up another level and I’m pleased with that. It’s a good feeling when I see the players start to link-up together and ask questions of the opposition. Yes we’ve lost but we stayed in the game and we need a bit of luck now.”

“We started moving the ball in midfield and it’s coming. The fitness is coming too. Overall it’s a good performance from the lads.”

“The back three played really well. The lads left everything on the pitch and as a manager that’s all you can ask. We had a penalty shout, it hit his lower arm, and that’s the luck we need.”

Sol said:
"It’s another defeat but the performances are getting better. We looked nervous at the beginning but we grew as the game went on. Sunderland had a bit more possession but so did we the longer it went on."

"The lads played really, really well. It was a great performance. Yes, we’ve lost but we stayed in the game. We just need a little bit of luck in front of goal now but we have to work hard to earn that luck."

"Rushy and Emile have done really well in the under 23s and it’s good we can utilise the youth system. They’re lively, bright, want to learn and they’re good players. I enjoy it when they came on because they show desire and can contribute."

"I’m looking at all options. Nathan made some good saves and good decisions which is key. Playing safe is key and once confidence comes in from the keeper it reverberates through the team. We’re not giving the opposition little gimmies and balls around the box."

"We should have had a penalty. It’s hit his arm and it’s way above his head. It’s the lower part of his arm but that’s the luck you need."

A victory away at Sunderland was never really on the cards today, thought we gave a good account of ourselves though. Unfortunately though, Bolton’s win closes the gap and a few of the teams above us put more points on the board today. It’s looking really bleak to say the least.

Yes, better, but still not great. Sunderland were very poor tbh.

We looked fitter, and passed the ball well in our own half, but no cutting edge at all.

Missing creative wide players thanks to that numpty Bond.

Positives. Bishop hardly had anything to do, and Dieng looks comfortable at CB as part of a 3. Hutchinson seems to be growing and improving well. Hyam played for 15 mins and didn’t get injured. Hopper got 77 mins in the tank.

yes we are getting better......not getting carried away with anything, we are still deep in the do-do and as mentioned already other teams are picking up points above us, still an 8 point gap between us and safety...…..yes a better performance but still need to get more from this team.....home form needs to improve for us to get out of this mess

Sunderland may not have been at their best today, but they have 25 points to our 5. Part of the reason they weren't at their best is because we didn't allow them to be.

Watched on i-follow.

We certainly looked fitter, more confident and actually grew stronger into the game.

The usual end of game wilt never materialised and at the end we could have got an equaliser but for the final ball lacking quality.

Our composure on the ball seemed better as did our movement off of the ball, which is something that has been poor for so long .

Will we get a win soon. Definately.

We played Ipswich, Sunderland and possibly could have had something from both.

We have pompey Tuesday who aren't a great side this season.

The real test will be against the mid table or lower table sides.

If we can be within 6 points of safety come the opening of the transfer window, then we will definately have a chance.

We definately miss having natural wingers with any kind of pace today. Although we kept the ball it was slightly slow movement.

Sunderland were/are nothing special. That seems to be the case for most of the teams in this division. No reason why we can't start stringing wins together, starting Tuesday.

A FIRST half header from Luke O’Nien condemned Southend United to a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland this afternoon.

More...

To lose 1-0 away from home at a massive team like Sunderland is an impressive result from this bunch. I didn’t watch the game only kept up to date via twitter and here. Sounds like they piled on a lot of pressure so we’ve I guess we did well to keep it down to won.

Ipswich was an improvement and this is an improvement hopefully we will start picking some points up soon. In Sol we trust!

To lose 1-0 away from home at a massive team like Sunderland is an impressive result from this bunch. I didn’t watch the game only kept up to date via twitter and here. Sounds like they piled on a lot of pressure so we’ve I guess we did well to keep it down to won.

Ipswich was an improvement and this is an improvement hopefully we will start picking some points up soon. In Sol we trust!

Just a matter of time according to Nathan Ralph.Certainly hope so.

The difference between before and after Sol is remarkable...

For a start - not a single whinge about injured or suspended players.

We started today with a non league striker and kid in his first season in midfield ... obviously not our strongest 11 available but the manager 100% behind them and the players 100% behind him -

compact and organised and still in the game at 90 mins .

Bishop - 6 - one very good save, a couple of dodgy kicks but prepared to boss his area .

Shaughaunessy - 6 - looked ok -

Dieng - 7 - looks like the main man at the back ..

Lennon - 6 looked ok

Elvis - 7 played more wide mid than full back -

Ralph - looks great going forward and his defensive work is improving

Milligan - 6 - has a decent pass on him but the games is too fast for him

Hutchinson - 7 - a couple of times he surrendered the ball in terrible situations - but he has vision and a pass and scares defenders when he runs at them - lasted the full 90 and kept competing

Cox - 7 - works and uses his craft and get about

Hopper 8 - works non stop ...as soon as the defence and midfield are sorted he will start hitting the net

Goodship 4 - missed a golden chance .... and he contributed very little else. I wish he would just work and put himself about .

Acquah 3- needs to improve his mobility ...

Hyam 7 - he looked tidy and industrious -

No 41 7 - Matt Rush ?? - looked like he really wanted to be involved and get after their back 4 ...

Sol Campbell 9 - - when Phil Brown came in you saw the players fitness improve and a higher level of organisation ..... similar with Campbell but my feeling is this guy has a good way with players.

This is along way from our first choice 11 and he is digging performances out of them...

some sunderland fans were moaning but we are no longer an easy touch -

I am looking forward to Pompey -

We were good today two decent chances penalty shout I fancy us at Portsmouth the next win will come

It is improving but we don’t have a spark. We all know the creativity issues but we can’t address that until Jan. We’ll pick up points against the sides down there with us now. Sol has a stinking run of opening fixtures

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell was impressed by his Shrimpers side – despite losing 1-0 at Sunderland this afternoon.

More...

Back