• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Sunderland 1 Southend United 0

I don't want to put a dampener on a glorious 1-0 defeat. But yeah, you guessed it - was writing that a wee bit tongue in cheek.
We lost, folks.
If it's getting to the stage where losing only 1-0 is considered OK, even to Sunderland, God! How far did we sink?
Yeah, I know - very deep.
I know someone will quote back 'improvement' but hell! We've improved to the point where we're not losing by three or four.
Sorry, forgive my lack of excitement...

I don't want to put a dampener on a glorious 1-0 defeat. But yeah, you guessed it - was writing that a wee bit tongue in cheek.
We lost, folks.
If it's getting to the stage where losing only 1-0 is considered OK, even to Sunderland, God! How far did we sink?
Yeah, I know - very deep.
I know someone will quote back 'improvement' but hell! We've improved to the point where we're not losing by three or four.
Sorry, forgive my lack of excitement...

no need to be forgiven .... you are clearly fed up with it all.

I am feeling quite pleased that its getting sorted out ... sat on the train back south feeling we have a chance. In fact almost excited by the situation .

I am feeling quite pleased that its getting sorted out ... sat on the train back south feeling we have a chance. In fact almost excited by the situation .
There is a bit of me itching to ask for a toke on what you've got reserved for the open air once off the train.
I'll take your optimism as a positive, and do my best to smile (cautiously).

Yes, for the first time in ages, I feel it is getting sorted out.

It is improving but we don’t have a spark. We all know the creativity issues but we can’t address that until Jan. We’ll pick up points against the sides down there with us now. Sol has a stinking run of opening fixtures
Ndukwu is creative but not had a real chance yet Just saying!

This will probably be the story of our season under Sol a lot of effort but clearly not enough quality. Hopefully he can build a good squad for league 2 promotion campaign.

I’m actually pretty disappointed he didn’t even get on today. Their left back was there for the taking
Think he will get a decent chance with Sol, without the pressure of " X factor" that Bond put on him. Time will tell

still got ..

Macca
Kiernon
Manton
Hamilton
Humphries
White

to come back ...

and the way its going they will struggle to get a start - and their fitness levels should be up - and their mentality improved ..

In some way Hutchinson had a poor game today but he has progressed loads - Dieng looks like a player - Ralph was improved ...

Anyway the choice is - cry in your beer and moan and whinge ..

OR pile on the Sol bandwagon ..

still got ..

Macca
Kiernon
Manton
Hamilton
Humphries
White

to come back ...

and the way its going they will struggle to get a start - and their fitness levels should be up - and their mentality improved ..

In some way Hutchinson had a poor game today but he has progressed loads - Dieng looks like a player - Ralph was improved ...

Anyway the choice is - cry in your beer and moan and whinge ..

OR pile on the Sol bandwagon ..

im all in!

Please tell me no one believed Sol would turn this round in 3 games, this is a long haul project and if we get behind both the manager and the team it may just be a little bit sooner.
This team of ours needs to be sorted out and I believe from what I saw today that it might just be starting to happen.
Let’s get behind the change and not expect miracles.

Think he will get a decent chance with Sol, without the pressure of " X factor" that Bond put on him. Time will tell

Yep, time will tell, but if he works hard in training he'll get a chance I'm sure. It's fresh start for all, those that were for what ever reason out of favour, have a chance to impress.

Last edited:
I thought the game was dull, drab, dreary, stolid, uninteresting, gloomy, leaden, muted, lacklustre and blunt.

This 90 minutes will not live long in the memory. The attacking sharpness from the Ipswich game was missing and, for me, we never looked like we would be capable of winning the match.

True, we didn't ship goals and the result was closer than many might have predicted.

Otherwise I am struggling to come forward with much in the way of positivity. Sorry.

Fair play to you, a for going, and b for a good review. Listening on the radio, it did sound like an improvement, it's good to hear someone who went back that up. And you resisted the temptation to slag off Milligan too. :Winking:

I thought the game was dull, drab, dreary, stolid, uninteresting, gloomy, leaden, muted, lacklustre and blunt.

i think that was the game plan .... and agree we offered less up front ...

stopping the goal count was Sols stated no.1 objective

and Goodship did miss a sitter..

Fair play to you, a for going, and b for a good review. Listening on the radio, it did sound like an improvement, it's good to hear someone who went back that up. And you resisted the temptation to slag off Milligan too. :Winking:

Miligan only gets 75 minutes now .... and he does an armband throw to Cox that I really annoys me .. Goodship really really did my head in today

but staying positive .... blah blah ...

btw also no goal keeping howlers

I got the feeling today that we were more bothered about not conceding a second goal than about scoring an equaliser - perhaps sensibly. We were more disciplined than I’ve seen as previously, the trade-off being that there was less fluidity going forwards. The problem is that I still see 11 players struggling to do the basics - not convinced we can turn this around without a change in personnel. Sunderland were rubbish too - let’s not pretend we played a great side.

bishop 7, shaunessy 6, Dieng, 7, Lennon 7, elvis 6, Milligan 6, hutchison 7, ralph 5, cox 6, hopper 6, Goodship 5. sub. Acquah 5.

I got the feeling today that we were more bothered about not conceding a second goal than about scoring an equaliser - perhaps sensibly. We were more disciplined than I’ve seen as previously, the trade-off being that there was less fluidity going forwards. The problem is that I still see 11 players struggling to do the basics - not convinced we can turn this around without a change in personnel. Sunderland were rubbish too - let’s not pretend we played a great side.

bishop 7, shaunessy 6, Dieng, 7, Lennon 7, elvis 6, Milligan 6, hutchison 7, ralph 5, cox 6, hopper 6, Goodship 5. sub. Acquah 5.

Yup agree with that first bit. With like 60 on the clock, we were happy to knock it around and almost take 0-1 as a 'good' result. Not ideal of course, but I can see the mindset. We did keep it tight, we did restrict them, we had a couple of chances ourselves and on paper now, its a better result than most were expecting - so all of that can help to start a turn around.

Back