• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Sunderland Till I Die

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
Having a bit more time on my hands I've managed to almost complete the second series, having of course skipped to the last episode hoping we'd be in it, and it got me thinking. The mechanics and logistics behind Sunderland are massive, as they should be for a "big" club. Their Transfer Deadline day made fascinating viewing with a number of directors, executives, directors of football, scouts etc involved and I wondered how it compares to ours and the day to day running of the club.

Without tuning this in to a Ron Martin discussion I wonder if anyone on SZ really knows what goes on behind the scenes at SUFC, who are the people involved and how on earth do we compete with bigger clubs such as Sunderland. We did after all beat them in the season in question.

Just curious and a bit bored that's all.

Utbs!

According to Rons latest statement we might be finding out a bit more about how the club is run behind the scenes. An exposé I'm thinking. Maybe we will finally find out the answer to the West Stand onion mystery.

No I am afraid not. No mention at all for either the home or away games.

Having a bit more time on my hands I've managed to almost complete the second series, having of course skipped to the last episode hoping we'd be in it, and it got me thinking. The mechanics and logistics behind Sunderland are massive, as they should be for a "big" club. Their Transfer Deadline day made fascinating viewing with a number of directors, executives, directors of football, scouts etc involved and I wondered how it compares to ours and the day to day running of the club.

Without tuning this in to a Ron Martin discussion I wonder if anyone on SZ really knows what goes on behind the scenes at SUFC, who are the people involved and how on earth do we compete with bigger clubs such as Sunderland. We did after all beat them in the season in question.

Utbs!

Not at the moment but I did work at the club in the early 90's for a season. I can say that - as an average fan who just went along and watched the matches - I had absolutely zero idea just how much work goes into running a football club.

This was in the Jobson/Webb era and we had just been promoted to Division 2 for the first time. People used to moan about Vic Jobson but he used to work 18 hours a day for the club and John Adams did as much.

There is so much that goes on that a fan just would have no idea about. It really is jaw dropping and the bigger clubs have even more going on.

This was 30 years ago of course and things have massively changed... but I doubt it's got any easier off the pitch.

Utbs!

Is it worth watching? I keep going to watch it and then changing my mind !

When i say worth it, i mean watching 2 seasons worth !

Is it worth watching? I keep going to watch it and then changing my mind !

When i say worth it, i mean watching 2 seasons worth !

It's definitely worth watching both series. I'm hooked and am currently half way through series 2.
It gives a fascinating insight into the running of a football club. Some of the fans who are featured regularly throughout are also great characters and you really get a feel for what their club means to them.
The transfer deadline days are also great viewing, seeing the stress that everyone is under and how it can lead to panic buying.
The £3million signing of Will Grigg was just crazy money!
Get watching.... you'll love it!

Last edited:
Both series are brilliant, I would say the first one had more drama with the relegation and manager changes, really see how a football club operates and how it affects all the staff involved.

Netflix have got very lucky in some ways with the relegation followed by two Wembley defeats. Newcastle fans must love it especially the way Sunderland celebrated beating their under 21s in the then Checkatrade trophy. It's a brilliant watch.

Very much enjoyed this and with the added time available watched it very quickly. They do have a great potential fan base along side those loyal ones that have suffered in the last few years. Really felt for them as to loose the cup final on penalties then to return to Wembley so soon after only to loose to a very late goal and having gone in front in both games as well.

Really enjoyed it but some of the editing during the matches was very dodgy. You'd see Sunderland scoring a rare goal in a nighttime away match and suddenly fans are celebrating a goal in the Stadium of Light during the day time. I can only assume some clubs didn't let them film the crowd so they had to splice clips from other matches in and hope no one noticed.

Just watching the first season, that fan who is getting the Sunderland sleeve tattoo done. What an awful tattoo the quality is awful!! I’d be embarrassed of that.

I was hoping the final game of the season would be shown, but I suppose it wasn't that important for them as they were already in the play-offs.

Great documentary, though, really enjoyed both series. Charlie Metvhen definitely the 'star' of the second series. It's made me almost want Sunderland to do well because their fans have been through so much pain, although selling Josh Maja for 1.5m and buying Will Grigg for 3m surely has to go down as one of the worst ever bits of transfer business.

Having spent 20 years in an army Regt (NE Gunners) that had the freedom of Sunderland I still hold a soft spot for the club. I did see 2 of those 4 games at Roker Park were we stuffed them and as I was sitting with them as they provided us with free tickets it made for some decent banter, but they still got the beers in after the game. Good sports.

Back