• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seany t

President
I've worked at, and for, a supermarket in the past and at first I thought all the scaremongering about 'Supermarket Power' was merely that.

However, right now there are many, many things are I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by:

• Supermarkets initially made money by using brands to get people into their stores. Then, they upped the prices those brands paid for shelf space. Then they went to those brands, acquired their supplier list, used these people to make products for them (undercutting them on quality and price) and called it Own Label. Then they put the price up again for these brands, phased many out and lent on many suppliers so hard, that lots of these companies couldn't get quantities of their own product.

Now Tesco are bringing out a 'Stealth brand' to combat this negative view people have of supermarket control, meaning that their shelves will have Value, Good, Better, Best and a mystery weird looking new one to choose from, along with the handful of brands that can still make enough cash to make it worthwhile paying to be there.

For example, at a store I worked at 7 years back Bassett's paid £10,000 per annum to rent an end of shelf sweet stall selling sweets. So to make any profit at all, they had to shift £20,000 worth of sweets. Then the store put those costs up, they couldn't pay them and the Own Label's took over - in turn saving the supermarket years of advertising costs, supplier overheads and gaining them a large consumer base.

• Supermarkets have altered the agreement with brands they stock from having to pay them within 20-30 days of sale, to a now mammoth 90, meaning many brands will go under unless they have huge stockpiles of cash.

• Supermarkets largely demand that all goods must come in SRP (Shelf Ready Packaging) to be stocked on their shelves. This means your packet of, say Bread Sauce, comes in a plastic tray ready to go on a shelf, wrapped in a plastic sleeve and ready packed in a cardboard box then a larger shipper to make the supermarket workers' lives easier for putting it on shelf. Less than half of that is necessary by Food Safety Standards, and yet the supermarkets demand it, yet the brands or customers foot the bill.

• All vegetables and salads bearing the sticker "Washed and ready to eat" are done so at their production line, meaning that if your Rocket is imported from Kenya, then it's the Kenyan's who are using their limited water supplies to save us 15 seconds. And for every bag of salad washed, the estimated water wasted is 10 times that which we'd have used by running a tap.

• 40% of ALL music sold in this country last year was via Tesco. That means that given that on average, Tesco only submits 2 new releases per week and one new compilation into it's charts, they only promoted 100-odd artists last year (the majority of those already established too).

• The colossal profit many of these companies make is often held off shore. There is an ongoing legal dispute running between Tesco and The Guardian over what the supermarket has been doing with its profits in order to evade paying tax to the Government, and essentially all of us. The amount was in the region of £1 bn. The debate has now been settled and the paper asked to apologise for quoting a wrong amount, but the Judge has allowed the paper to use the evidence presented as there was undoubtedly some of this amount tied up in legal loopholes that the UK Government can't chase.

On the plus side, some environmentalists argue that by doing all your shopping at one place, you're reducing your carbon footprint, but bankrupting the high street and community centre.

Anyway... rant over. Any thoughts?

I shoplift what I can but I am only one man and can't make much of a difference despite targetting low volume, high value items such as batteries and razor blades.

Shoplifters of the world unite!

Unfortunately, supermarkets are no different to any other business that exists in the modern world. They are out to make as much profit as possible at any cost to the environment or customer. They get away with cutting corners and loopholes wherever possible. Personally I cant see how we can ever change this. Tescos for example are getting more and more powerful and have many fingers in many pies. The fact that they are harbouring money for extra profit through legal loopholes, rather than paying up to the government, tells me that they dont act in the best interest of the consumer but only of themselves and their shareholders.

I dont think it is something we will ever have any control over. At the end of the day we all need to shop and the reason we all use these big supermarkets is because they do have the best deals which is why we will never boycott them for the corner shop. In this current climate, the Supermarkets will be sure to cash in on any way they can on vulernrable people as consumers.

Last edited:
We have a bi-weekly farmers market opposite our local Tesco's and I buy as much as I can - you get a nice bit of game (such as wood pigeon and boar) from one of the suppliers and some general fruit and veg. When I need to pop into Tesco for the rest it amazes me that people will pay over the odds for pre-bagged scrubbed potatoes rather than cheaper ones on the farmers market that are covered in good ol' organic mud.

I can go to my local supermarket and buy a weeks worth of shopping in one go, or go to my local corner shop and pay over the top prices. As I use to work in a cash and carry I know how much profit these corner shops are making on their goods.

I've worked at, and for, a supermarket in the past and at first I thought all the scaremongering about 'Supermarket Power' was merely that.

However, right now there are many, many things are I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by:

• Supermarkets initially made money by using brands to get people into their stores. Then, they upped the prices those brands paid for shelf space. Then they went to those brands, acquired their supplier list, used these people to make products for them (undercutting them on quality and price) and called it Own Label. Then they put the price up again for these brands, phased many out and lent on many suppliers so hard, that lots of these companies couldn't get quantities of their own product.

Now Tesco are bringing out a 'Stealth brand' to combat this negative view people have of supermarket control, meaning that their shelves will have Value, Good, Better, Best and a mystery weird looking new one to choose from, along with the handful of brands that can still make enough cash to make it worthwhile paying to be there.

For example, at a store I worked at 7 years back Bassett's paid £10,000 per annum to rent an end of shelf sweet stall selling sweets. So to make any profit at all, they had to shift £20,000 worth of sweets. Then the store put those costs up, they couldn't pay them and the Own Label's took over - in turn saving the supermarket years of advertising costs, supplier overheads and gaining them a large consumer base.

• Supermarkets have altered the agreement with brands they stock from having to pay them within 20-30 days of sale, to a now mammoth 90, meaning many brands will go under unless they have huge stockpiles of cash.

• Supermarkets largely demand that all goods must come in SRP (Shelf Ready Packaging) to be stocked on their shelves. This means your packet of, say Bread Sauce, comes in a plastic tray ready to go on a shelf, wrapped in a plastic sleeve and ready packed in a cardboard box then a larger shipper to make the supermarket workers' lives easier for putting it on shelf. Less than half of that is necessary by Food Safety Standards, and yet the supermarkets demand it, yet the brands or customers foot the bill.

• All vegetables and salads bearing the sticker "Washed and ready to eat" are done so at their production line, meaning that if your Rocket is imported from Kenya, then it's the Kenyan's who are using their limited water supplies to save us 15 seconds. And for every bag of salad washed, the estimated water wasted is 10 times that which we'd have used by running a tap.

• 40% of ALL music sold in this country last year was via Tesco. That means that given that on average, Tesco only submits 2 new releases per week and one new compilation into it's charts, they only promoted 100-odd artists last year (the majority of those already established too).

• The colossal profit many of these companies make is often held off shore. There is an ongoing legal dispute running between Tesco and The Guardian over what the supermarket has been doing with its profits in order to evade paying tax to the Government, and essentially all of us. The amount was in the region of £1 bn. The debate has now been settled and the paper asked to apologise for quoting a wrong amount, but the Judge has allowed the paper to use the evidence presented as there was undoubtedly some of this amount tied up in legal loopholes that the UK Government can't chase.

On the plus side, some environmentalists argue that by doing all your shopping at one place, you're reducing your carbon footprint, but bankrupting the high street and community centre.

Anyway... rant over. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you need to get out more and get a good seeing to!!

Oranges - local market 20p. Tesco 35p
Kiwi fruit - local market 20p. Tesco 35p
Pasta sauce - farm shop 33p. Tesco £1.79.

Shop around!

Tesco are a disgrace, and seem to have adopted McDonalds' litigious brand of PR in order to stifle criticism. Their case against the Guardian (which also initially included a ridiculous allegation of "malicious falsehood" levelled at the editor as an individual) is bad enough, but worse still is the action being taken against a journalist in Thailand. He is facing a possible prison sentence to go along with the millions in damages sought by Tesco over an article criticising the firm's expansionism in the region.

I know that it's easy to take an "out of sight, out of mind" view about these things, but for the sake of paying 5p more for a can of beans do we really want to support firms like Tesco and Walmart?

Don't shop at Tesco's personally, but feel that they've done a great job of reducing prices in other supermarkets, so cannot complain!!

Back