• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supermarkets

Food glorious food

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
I'd thought I'd resist as this is so far away from the once legendary DTS Friday polls as you can probably get ....but I guess we've all got old!

So, where do you purchase your weekly shop?

Used to be Tesco for me (only as its the nearest), but I'm a recent Lidl convert. Genuinely like the food (and I'm a right snob me).

Our weekly shop comes from Tesco, but we also buy a lot of fruit and veg at the local greengrocer. He's a bit more expensive, but a) we like to support local businesses where we can, b) the quality is so much better, and c) my wife gets a discount because she's also a local trader - all the shops in the area give each-other a discount.

Normally do our main shop at Asda, but Tescos, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Aldi are all walking distance and sometimes used. We tend to get baby bits from Aldi, but find Asda suits our needs for a general shop.

Like LB, we tend to use the local highstreet at the weekend and get eggs, bread, meat, fruit and veg etc from local shops.

For the basic supermarket bits, milk etc, it's Tesco or Sainsburys. For fish and meat we use the butcher and fish monger in Leigh. Sometimes we use Waitrose but only if we are in need of a cup of coffee (freebee) as well and passing it. M&S foodhalls also feature.

For the basic supermarket bits, milk etc, it's Tesco or Sainsburys. For fish and meat we use the butcher and fish monger in Leigh. Sometimes we use Waitrose but only if we are in need of a cup of coffee (freebee) as well and passing it. M&S foodhalls also feature.

My mum actually buys her fish straight off the boat in Leigh. If we lived close enough to get fresh fish like that then I would too. I hate that we don't even have a fishmonger particularly close by, and the only one that is even within driving distance charges a fortune. Since we also get our shopping delivered we can't even make use of the fishmonger at Tesco.

Used to be Waitrose when I lived in Leigh, purely because it was a the top of the road. Since my, somewhat enforced move, it's Sainsbury's, because it's more or less at the top of the road.

My mum actually buys her fish straight off the boat in Leigh. If we lived close enough to get fresh fish like that then I would too. I hate that we don't even have a fishmonger particularly close by, and the only one that is even within driving distance charges a fortune. Since we also get our shopping delivered we can't even make use of the fishmonger at Tesco.

We sometimes use the fishermans' cooperative down on Bell Wharf in old Leigh, which is very good but not much cheaper than the fishmongers. Fish isn't cheap these days. Whereas the butchers deals work out better value than some supermarkets.

I use a mix of the three main ones around me, Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury's, with Tesco being the preference. If I just need one or two items I will pop in Aldi but I don't like it and I hated the stand they took against charity collections earlier this year. I also use the butchers in High Road and up in Hadleigh from time to time. Used to use the local greengrocer a few doors down from work but that closed a couple of months back so have had to resort to Tesco again as I find the other two's fresh fruit and veg don't last as well.

Morrisons at Hadleigh for the main shop. Asda at Shoebury for 'bits & pieces', as i work in Shoebury. And Asda's 'choose your own' Pizza's are in my opinion, fantastic value and very nice.

This subject came up in the pub and some blokes didn't believe I didn't know where the wife shops. Why should I? I'm at work. She shops.

Are there no clues though.....own brand packs of bacon, loo roll or jam or something else bought, or even carrier bags? Or evidence of loyalty card usage...tokens or something? I find it hard to believe you really have absolutely no idea!

Auchan and Intermache and lidl but believe it or not folks here in France shop online at Tescos and the like it get dropped off at a depot and brought out here the next day and all for 20 percent on top of the price of your shopping.

Wot no Morrisons? it's a shopping sensation MK.:thumbsup:

Yeah, sought of. Every time I go looking for a Morrisons the clever buggers have got there before me and closed it as uneconomic. (this is of course totally untrue in the Southend area, but as this is ShrimperZone I'm allowed to post lies as fact):smiles:

Back