• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Superstars?

Who has promoted and increased public awareness of their sport the most in the 90s

• Michael Jordan

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • David Beckham

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Tiger Woods

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Michael Schumacher

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Which name do you feel has increased public/media interest in their sport the most throughout the 90s relative to the sport they play and the interest prior to their perceived 'dominance'?

Last edited:
Tim Henman
This Century, Andy Murray , Lance "Honest, Guv I'm 100% clean, goddamit" Armstrong, Valentino Rossi , Johnny Wilkinson and the diving Kid

Last edited by a moderator:
Woods or Beckham I would say. I've voted Beckham though, as his name will forever be linked to the rapid commercialization of football as an advertising tool (as NFL/NBA already was in America). Although most of the Beckham effect was probably seen in the 2000s.

OJ Simpson.

Before his antics the only NFL player I had heard of was the Refridgerator.

Last edited:
The massive growth of the NBA started with Larry Legend and Magic Johnson in the early 1980s, but Michael Jordan took it to a totally new level in the 1990s. The IOC's decision to allow the USA to enter their 'Dream Team' in the 1992 Olympics was a major factor too.

So Jordan for me, with a big helping hand from Juan Antonio Samaranch.

Shuey really brought F1 to the masses worldwide, I'd also give a shout out for Freddie Flintoff.

Back