• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Meeting with Ron Martin and Tom Lawrence - 3rd June 2021

Well, we can thank Stan for his efforts but it seems Tom would’ve approached Ron anyway. Undoubtedly Stan helped get him in though and speed that process up and also helped focus Ron’s mind on what needed doing. As to why Stan walked away, does it matter? Maybe it just wasn’t to be. He remains a SUFC legend.

It seems as a management team, PB, CF and RD are singing from the same hymn sheet and Tom seems focused and keen to get stuff done. Hopefully these calls will continue as they’re great, looking forward to some announcements in the next few weeks.

I thought it was very positive. That's the best I've ever seen Ron speak. I still don't believe we will get promotion first attempt. That may change if we bring in goal scoring forwards, wingers and midfielders. Defensively I think we will be fine. Tom was as expected, obviously he will have sorted out the sound issues before the next meeting. Chris seemed scared to speak, obviously treading on eggshells regarding the relationship between Ron and the echo. Regarding the North Bank. You can tell by my name I loved it, but that was when it was standing. There I was for years asking the club to give us back our North Bank. Then I got to sit in there for one game. It was horrendous. I am 6ft, I had to put my legs to one side all game. I got the worst back ache that lasted weeks. Never again. Those seats are not meant for anyone over 5ft 8ins. It's now the worst place in the ground to watch a match. No wonder the away fans stand up. Take the seats out and have limited standing, then great.

Agreed about the North Bank. I spent a bit of time last time we were allowed in and it was hugely disappointing.

It's a relic, when the ground was set up differently and we had terracing, it was a great place to be. But now you need to think about segregation, fire escapes, access to the ground and turnstile separation of home and away fans.

The point Ron made about spreading the fans out was spot on I think, especially as there will be fewer next year than for many, many years. Also it's more trouble than it's worth, from a logistical point of view. And the final point, it is a certain age of fan that always calls for this. I think the ship has sailed, the hardcore younger generation who make the most noise and have the freedom to go home and away seem to be comfortable in X block and the North Bank for them is just something other people talk about.

Finally seen the whole recording. First of all heartfelt thanks to everyone involved. In over sixty years of supporting the Shrimpers this is the first time I have felt so aware of what's going on behind the scenes. In previous meetings Ron has seemed somewhat defensive and evasive, certainly wary. I suppose that's understandable if you consider the threats he has faced over the years from "fans" who got, shall we say, a little carried away. This time he was open, positive and it seemed to me that he was allowing himself some genuine optimism (rather than the fake version he had projected earlier). That has got to be a good thing.

I thought the meeting was really well chaired and that everyone avoided the negativity and cynicism that had occurred ( again understandably) in previous meetings. It really does feel as if you have all cried your tears of rage and frustration at relegation to non league after 101 years in the FL, shaken yourselves down, stood proud and are now facing the future with positivity and even optimism. That has to be a good thing.

I have my fingers, toes and all other flexible parts of my body crossed that we make a winning start to our NL campaign and build the confidence of our new playing and managerial squads and new backroom team. Good luck people!

Agreed about the North Bank. I spent a bit of time last time we were allowed in and it was hugely disappointing.

It's a relic, when the ground was set up differently and we had terracing, it was a great place to be. But now you need to think about segregation, fire escapes, access to the ground and turnstile separation of home and away fans.

The point Ron made about spreading the fans out was spot on I think, especially as there will be fewer next year than for many, many years. Also it's more trouble than it's worth, from a logistical point of view. And the final point, it is a certain age of fan that always calls for this. I think the ship has sailed, the hardcore younger generation who make the most noise and have the freedom to go home and away seem to be comfortable in X block and the North Bank for them is just something other people talk about.
Totally agree with what you have said and placing away supporters in other areas of the ground I personally can’t see due to the guidelines the clubs have to follow when allowing away supporters in. I believe they have to have their own entrance/exit which only the north bank at the moment can provide. Even if we offered the south lower they would have to share an entrance and also it would be to close to the family stand. Maybe the blue East seats bit again they would have to share the entrance/exit and personally with the * cough,cough* pending move you can’t blame the club on spending minimal amount on making changes.

With regards to the north bank...... we should cater for all fans needs. Put the away fans in block x and corner bit, that way no fans will have to move and fans who want to go in the North bank can! segregation and entrances are already their.

With regards to the north bank...... we should cater for all fans needs. Put the away fans in block x and corner bit, that way no fans will have to move and fans who want to go in the North bank can! segregation and entrances are already their.
This will only work if the bulk of the West, apart from the family stand, is unoccupied. Toilet facilities would have to be shared otherwise.

This will only work if the bulk of the West, apart from the family stand, is unoccupied. Toilet facilities would have to be shared otherwise.
I guess the blue voice would transfer to North Bank so you would have block w vacant so don't sell tickets their as part of segregation. Corner bit does have its own toilet facilities.

Easily done and won't put the club out of pocket.

Hypothetical: we know getting Roots Hall its safety certificate is getting harder and harder. What would we do if the south, east and west scraped through but the north didn't. Where would we put the away fans then?

Is there a way a club can apply for permission, based on segregation and police advice, to not accommodate away fans?

I guess the blue voice would transfer to North Bank so you would have block w vacant so don't sell tickets their as part of segregation. Corner bit does have its own toilet facilities.

Easily done and won't put the club out of pocket.
Are you sure about toilets? I know they have their own small tea bar there, but I thought the toilets were the same as for the main bulk of the stand - at the back of V/W blocks.

Are you sure about toilets? I know they have their own small tea bar there, but I thought the toilets were the same as for the main bulk of the stand - at the back of V/W blocks.
Nope, toilets are behind the corner bit. Block x and the corner bit is segregated to rest of the West Stand.

If memory serves me right even block x has it own entrance into that block.

All correct
Cheers mate. In my opinion it's most logical place to put the away fans..... Fans who want to go into to North Bank can and fans who don't stay where you are I guess.

Capacity of corner bit and block x I'm guessing bit is 1200, that's plenty for national league sides. I can't really see issue why North Bank can't be used for sufc fans.

Just a suggestion anyway.

Yes, these Zoom meeting are great, I really enjoy watching and listening.
It gives me a greater appretian of the club as a whole, even noticing that Ron is actually human, and owns up to his errors. Breath of fresh air.

If you do decide to all meet in person, then please have a lap top or camera feed to record and post on this forum, this is very beneficial to all those that can’t make meeting.

Keep up the good work.

Back