• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting - 6th May 2021

We’ll have a huge budget in NL - Fantastic.

We’ll bring in two CEOs - Fantastic.

Ticket prices will go down - Fantastic.

Already have some players scouted and drawing up transfer targets - Fantastic.

That's my concern. All fantastic, but where is he going to find the revenue to do this with lower gate receipts ? Still think he's delusional, because his first comments on the BBC interview were that it's a disaster and that there could be redundancies !! ?

That's my concern. All fantastic, but where is he going to find the revenue to do this with lower gate receipts ? Still think he's delusional, because his first comments on the BBC interview were that it's a disaster and that there could be redundancies !! ?
And all without having finalised the budgets for next year yet. I don't know how he can possibly make claims (either about redundancies or about hiring two CEO figures) without having a final budget.

Skipped through this a bit but really need to find some time to watch properly. Fair play to the Trust for putting it together, was very well run and just what we needed - fans putting questions directly to Ron.

Just a reminder, I think it's unlikely that we'll ever get an admission of guilt, or Ron admitting that his lack of funds directly caused our demise (even though it's true). Ron is a businessman who borrows from one person to pay the other, he wheels and deals professionally and he won't be able to operate if there's a view or perception that he's broke. Hence the leased Bentley etc, he needs to come across as wealthy and successful (and he is in many ways).

So Ron isn't going to be open about the cashflow or embargoes, he's always going to dodge around that. Hopefully he will be able to access credit and cash more easily as the development plans progress.

And all without having finalised the budgets for next year yet. I don't know how he can possibly make claims (either about redundancies or about hiring two CEO figures) without having a final budget.

..and Patrick is having to dig out the invoices for the annual accounts etc himself because they haven't the manpower to do it ?

Call me "cynical" (if you like :Winking: ) but the main thing I took out of this zoom meeting was that there's no Plan B if PB doesn't accept the manager's job(or if we don't get promoted in our first season in the NL)Also that the 500,000 K we'll lose from Prem payments will "probably" be recovered from players' salaries.That's exactly the sort of financial mis-management that got us into this mess in the first place.

Call me "cynical" (if you like :Winking: ) but the main thing I took out of this zoom meeting was that there's no Plan B if PB doesn't accept the manager's job.Also that the 500,000 K we'll lose from Prem payments will "probably" be recovered from players' salaries.That's exactly the sort of financial mis-management that got us into this mess in the first place.

You're cynical.

Being as Ron was in a good mood and prepared to offer all and sundry a job, could we put forward a motion to employ Tilly in the vacant position within our academy?

on a serious note, there is now a clear timeline given by Ron on many subjects that he can be held accountable to. Juicy stuff! Well done guys.

I would also firstly like to add my congratulations to Paul for a well chaired and directed meeting.

And in the spirit of not looking back....(except the last week anyway lol), I felt the meeting itself was more positive overall with some exceptions.

The negatives first, RM still couldn't utter the word "sorry", even saying Grimsby had done the wrong thing in issuing their apology. Really Ron, they are not having to plan for a four figure number of people turning up to protest at their ground any time soon! Although admitting mistakes had been made and the buck stops with him! A small step, but obviously one far too far for him to make. All it would take is adding it into the words he has already spoken. "I am only human and mistakes have been made, some by me." How different would it sound to people if it was "I am only human and mistakes have been made and sorry, some by me." ?

Also, he had to be severely coached into why it is not a good thing to say no one is hurting more than him at the moment, but got there in the end, again well done Paul.

The content and willingness to run over any subject and take as much time as it took was excellent, as was Ron's willingness to give answers. There were not many "don't knows" or I'll get back to you's". That is a positive.

Like most people, I am a lot more sceptical of anything he says to do with the stadium than I was since those two cold nights in the council chambers of Southend and Rochford 15 or so years ago, BUT a lot more of it did make sense. My main reservations being the ownership of the new ground and rent arrangements, if it ever gets built. Following Ron Martin's tenure of the club there seems to be the potential to end up in a Coventry City scenario of being thrown out of your home town, because of a fall out with Stadium owners. The rent arrangement and staggered arrangements depending what league we are in and a top limit cap, seemed well thought out. Also, the revenue streams were spelt out in more detail, some planning laws explained as well as council workings, so that to I looked on more positively.

On the club front and next season, I felt a whole lot more positive to be fair.

CEO, possibly another new role, a place at the club for Stan, PB and the current management team to stay in place, Ricky and Anton scouting the NL for the past 3 months, trimming the playing staff and only now getting players in to play for the shirt with heart and desire all sound great.

My only issue with the last point, why has it taken so long for that penny to drop, shouldn't that have been a foundation of any squad put together to represent this magnificent football club?

All the above is all very much proof in the pudding, but Ron did what he does best and sounded convincing in front of an audience.

However, you can sense a seed change, or the start of one. I think it is a real shame that he can't utter that word "sorry". To me he comes over, as I have found a lot of the high powered businessmen I have dealt with, oblivious to the feelings of those beneath them and the affect, not what is said, but how things are said, create a different reaction, although the words and meaning are the same.

The bridges, if they are built, will be from the efforts of others, whereas if Ron put maybe a bit more effort at empathy into his dealings with the fanbase, and the "No-one cares more about this club" from him is a classic, then he could have such a better relationship with the fanbase and really be looked upon as someone who has the welfare of the club at heart.

He may very well do, but not many feel it and that is the underlying problem.

Fix that and a club director would not have to spend time making arrangements with police for protest rallies, but could get on with running his area of the club, such as auditing accounts. Just a thought from one of the minions Ron, that quite clearly make you feel so ill at ease.

Just watched the whole meeting. Some good points well made. Interesting that he may well appoint both potential CEOs (Perhaps one to run day to day club running's and one to manage the move / transition to the new stadium) Hopefully we'll find some time next week / week after if anything comes to fruition.

Good also that Ricky Duncan and other staff have been looking at teams in the national league, viewing some of the matches and already identifying potential targets for next season. I suppose just because we don't see something happening, doesn't mean to say nothing is happening. I think that's the first time I heard Ricky speak as well. Wouldn't sound out of place in a Guy Ritchie Lock Stock sort of film.

I think Ron would have a Plan B if Phil didn't want to manage in the National League. Similar to at the beginning of the meeting when he discussed Mark Moseley he's not going to come out and say, yes i;'e got a plan incase Phil doesn't want to become manager, as that could then rattle Phil. He backed Mark Moseley, until such time that he sacked him, and in the same way he will say he wants Phil to be manager for as long as Phil is still at the club.

I agree on the point about the revenue streams. I mentioned a couple of times to the company I work for (Financial Services company in London) renting out the conference space at Roots Hall for quarterly catch-up with financial services clients in the South East. They viewed it and came back to say it was not adequate for their needs at current. Probably a polite way of saying we'd rather not have meetings with our clients in a steel portacabin 3 floors up.

However, in a new stadium with conference facilities built into the plans I think that could be quite a decent review stream. Especially with companies in London now looking at reducing their office space. I believe the City of London is looking at trying to convert some of the empty office spaces into housing post covid in the "new normal".

Little concerning however that after the meeting the video below was up next for viewing.

1620394879817.png

Does any manger knowingly and/or deliberately sign a player whom he thinks will not 'fight for the shirt'?
On that basis who of the team we fielded against Colchester the second time around will be signed?

One gripe I have is when Martin said he may employe both people for the ceo job ,but no one questioned it they just said oh ok

One gripe I have is when Martin said he may employe both people for the ceo job ,but no one questioned it they just said oh ok
I think because one of the applicants would be stepping into a CEO role ( perhaps from a Director of Football position). Hence the thought of both- I think Ron will remind himself that is the equivalent of the PM’s flat in NL and make s choice.

A good watch, would love to see more of Trevor could listen to him for hours. Been a while since I last had a drink with him after a game.

Also hout out to McEvoy hope to see you soon.

Last edited:
Back