• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting - 7th October 2021

“I’ve put the money in because I love the club.”

5 minutes later…

“Why would the club go bust if I left? Because the club owes me 20 million and I’d like it back please.”

The man in a nutshell.

I’m not questioning his love of the club, but 15/20 years on we’re still hearing the same stories about the stadium and there is no reason at all for anyone to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

5 minutes later…

“Why would the club go bust if I left? Because the club owes me 20 million and I’d like it back please.”

The man in a nutshell.

I’m not questioning his love of the club, but 15/20 years on we’re still hearing the same stories about the stadium and there is no reason at all for anyone to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
It's like blackmailing our thoughts to keep his position, while trying to make himself look good because he's put money into the club.

The man is a crook.

5 minutes later…

The man in a nutshell.

Exactly this

25 minutes in.

Someone not understanding that spending more on wages indicates investment.

Someone vaping throughout.

Someone with a backdrop of a random football ground.

Looking forward to the rest.
Yeah I’m thinking about playing with myself next time to spice things up as vaping just ain’t cutting it!

On a serious side meeting with Ron I feel is a waste of time now. Roll on Saturday where with any luck we will be just as vocal whether Ron is there or not.

25 minutes in.

Someone not understanding that spending more on wages indicates investment.

Someone vaping throughout.

Someone with a backdrop of a random football ground.

Looking forward to the rest.
Paying people wages isn't investing unless your paying more wages. Which we aren't. Paying people's wages is a running cost.

It was Darlington btw

I totally disagree. I thought all the supporters groups did well to keep their cool. In fact, there were occasions where they looked gobsmacked by his delusional comments. It was the same old smarmy answers with no substance from Ron.

Says he'll never get his money back ? Who will earn out of the 1,300 homes being built, if it's not SUFC ?
Possible £3m-£5m generated by the 1,000 seater banqueting hall ? lol....do me a favour. Not when we only get crowds of 3,000. We're a laughing stock, and nobody will want to attend an event there

Sounded to me like once that stadium is up and running, he's off. I don't believe a word that he cares about the club and is doing it in the clubs best interests etc. He only cares about it because he's invested time and possibly money into it...that's the only reason in my opinion.

..and to say it's his and our club is a joke. If it was OUR club he would have let the Trust have a seat on the board so that they were included in the decisions at board level.
To be fair to Tom, the crowds that the football club attract are completely irrelevant to how much money the non-footballing side will generate. If a company needs a 1,000 seater banqueting hall, they’re going to hire it. Why would they care what crowds we get when it wouldn’t be on matchday?

Thank you for all involved for taking the time to have this meeting - that is both the various representatives of the supporters groups and Ron and Tom. It is only way so many of the fans of the this club find out about these things.

Would have liked to hear more about the failure of the team on the pitch. If Ron is right that there being a good group of players recruited then surely that falls on the off field team (manager and coaches).

I still cannot understand why Ron thought that in the middle of a game was a good time to go and "talk to fans"

Thank you for all involved for taking the time to have this meeting - that is both the various representatives of the supporters groups and Ron and Tom. It is only way so many of the fans of the this club find out about these things.

Would have liked to hear more about the failure of the team on the pitch. If Ron is right that there being a good group of players recruited then surely that falls on the off field team (manager and coaches).

I still cannot understand why Ron thought that in the middle of a game was a good time to go and "talk to fans"
Yeah that was my point to him, who in their right mind thinks away from home losing and near the foot of the national league would be a great time to pop over abs have a chat! ?

total madness and in my view embarrassing for the club and especially as the video of what happened went viral!

I think his temperament is suspect at times and his “attempted chat” was a case in point. The hotdog was proof enough. It flew past his nose and he turned round for a row. He was in front of a few of us and he said nothing. He’s obviously under pressure and his long term financial well-being is dependent on FF happening. As it stands, he could have a 22K seater stadium with 2-3000 in it, hence the Darlington comparison, another chairman’s folly.

Might get some blowback on this too, but .... I get less and less impressed with Tom as the weeks go by. Has as many broken promises to do things as Ron does.

This "first 100 days" document he was working on was meant to show what he'd been looking into, now says he hasnt touched it for some 6 weeks, so probably wont be getting that.

The programme thing has been a disaster, although I appreciate the attempt to try something different.

But just lots of little things adding up that were promised or spoken as fact havent happend and its hard to see what, if any, influence he is having on the club as CEO.

Fans have been calling for a CEO for years and right now, not seen much of any differences.
I do agree, but I think it highlights how big a shambles the club is in. As much as we hoped a CEO could come in and wave their magic wand and solve the structural problems immediately it is not that easy.

I think as he investigates he is finding 1,001 things wrong which will take time to solve.

Just like the footballing side he does need to get some "wins" by putting a few things right. There is a danger that he could get overwhelmed the enormity of the task ahead.

Not had a chance to watch it as yet, will do at some stage.

Was the question asked about Collymore being RM’s guest for the Eastleigh game, and about their “talks”?

At this point, I'm not sure what people want from Ron.

Firstly, I dont think he gains anything by doing these. MAYBE its worth Tom doing them to update us on things, but I dont think Ron should be engaging that closely with anyone in my opinion. Just stick to running the club and progressing the build.

Incidents like the "I F**KING LOVE THE CLUB YOU IDIOT" arent becoming on a professional businessman we want running the club, by the same token, its tiresome being asked the same questions over and over (not aimed at the guy that got called an idiot!) - and how he can dress up the answers.

He's a businessman. He wants to make money. He supports the club financially. He (mostly) backs the managers. We havent gone under.

Not sure what else needs to be known really - or we (think we) have a "right" to know. I'm absolutely positive that no other chairman does this at a club - maybe McAnthony at Posh would engage and I know he has done his own podcast before, but really cant imagine anyone else.

Yes we all care about SUFC and our future, but not sure asking the same questions every 3 weeks of an exasperated narcissist is helpful to anyone.

Tom's point on the £3-5m potential external revenue earned from hospitality sounds nice if it comes to fruition and probably that sort of information is useful - but again, on the call it was being pushed to reveal exact figures. I dont know of any other business that would want to know the financial secrets and ins and outs of the profitability of a company??

As I said in an earlier message, for me the right here and now is the biggest concern and I'd be asking questions about how to arrest our slide, what strategy we have going forward, his confidence in Brown/Fagan, Akinola saga, if we would reconsider Stans plan of restructuring the club etc.

I keep resisting asking questions when the chance comes around for these calls as I think its such obvious stuff and cant believe nobody presses Ron on it.

But anyways, I sincerely hope Ron stays away from these in future and if we do have the Zoom calls, its a quick update from Tom on how things are going and raising any matchday concerns .

Was the question asked about Collymore being RM’s guest for the Eastleigh game, and about their “talks”?
Yes it was but Ron said they are always in touch with texts and emails but nothing to do with a sale/consortium etc

He seemed to brush that off (shock) and didnt seem to intimate HE invited him. Said Stan just "wanted to come and see things with his own eyes" and basically is a friend of Toms and that was that.

Obviously more too it, but dont think Cerri wanted to push the issue.

Firstly, I dont think he gains anything by doing these. MAYBE its worth Tom doing them to update us on things, but I dont think Ron should be engaging that closely with anyone in my opinion. Just stick to running the club and progressing the build.

Incidents like the "I F**KING LOVE THE CLUB YOU IDIOT" arent becoming on a professional businessman we want running the club, by the same token, its tiresome being asked the same questions over and over (not aimed at the guy that got called an idiot!) - and how he can dress up the answers.

He's a businessman. He wants to make money. He supports the club financially. He (mostly) backs the managers. We havent gone under.

Not sure what else needs to be known really - or we (think we) have a "right" to know. I'm absolutely positive that no other chairman does this at a club - maybe McAnthony at Posh would engage and I know he has done his own podcast before, but really cant imagine anyone else.

Yes we all care about SUFC and our future, but not sure asking the same questions every 3 weeks of an exasperated narcissist is helpful to anyone.

Tom's point on the £3-5m potential external revenue earned from hospitality sounds nice if it comes to fruition and probably that sort of information is useful - but again, on the call it was being pushed to reveal exact figures. I dont know of any other business that would want to know the financial secrets and ins and outs of the profitability of a company??

As I said in an earlier message, for me the right here and now is the biggest concern and I'd be asking questions about how to arrest our slide, what strategy we have going forward, his confidence in Brown/Fagan, Akinola saga, if we would reconsider Stans plan of restructuring the club etc.

I keep resisting asking questions when the chance comes around for these calls as I think its such obvious stuff and cant believe nobody presses Ron on it.

But anyways, I sincerely hope Ron stays away from these in future and if we do have the Zoom calls, its a quick update from Tom on how things are going and raising any matchday concerns .

Plenty of Chairman invest in the their clubs, back their managers and even deliver new stadiums for their teams.

You setting the bar of "SUFC not going bust" is a pretty low one.

Not many other chairman that I'm aware of have had so many court appearances of non-payment of tax, had the PFA stepping in because of regular late payment of player wages, overseen 3 successive relegations (with managers he's appointed and players who's contracts he's approved) or tried to confront fans pitchside at an away match.

Plenty of fans from other clubs are staggered at how little flack he's got over the years but especially now, he's taken you to non-league whilst not delivering a new stadium for over 20 years despite being a property developer and has just openly said he wants his money back (currently sitting as a debt against your club)

Pretty sure Bury fans wished they'd at least tried to do something earlier (even if you can't shift an owner you can at least highlight issues using press and try and get some transparency/openness about situation and/on guarantee's on future.

Thats the way I see it.

If we were top of the league as he pointed out, this wouldn't be happening.

Its clear he isn't going anywhere, and his intention is still to make the move to fossetts, reclaw the money he has put in over the years (call it profit if you will). Then eventually move on. That plan hasnt changed in 20 years, its just been messed up many many times.

Yes he should be kept accountable as best as possible for the many promises he has reneged on (some out of his control, planning enquiries etc), and that meeting, as tense and crazy as it was at times was definitely needed. He does himself no favours, he could have got tom to give some very provisional estimates on sources of revenue the new stadium will potentially provide which would have partially satiated many fans and not left us guessing.

But for me its time to focus more on the here and now and the problems with the players, brown, etc etc. And not getting relegated again. Ron banged on about the big playing budget but it is not translating to results and this has to be someones fault, scouting, brown, the players, duncan, whatever, this needs addressing.

Back