• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting - 7th October 2021

Thats the way I see it.

If we were top of the league as he pointed out, this wouldn't be happening.

Its clear he isn't going anywhere, and his intention is still to make the move to fossetts, reclaw the money he has put in over the years (call it profit if you will). Then eventually move on. That plan hasnt changed in 20 years, its just been messed up many many times.

Yes he should be kept accountable as best as possible for the many promises he has reneged on (some out of his control, planning enquiries etc), and that meeting, as tense and crazy as it was at times was definitely needed. He does himself no favours, he could have got tom to give some very provisional estimates on sources of revenue the new stadium will potentially provide which would have partially satiated many fans and not left us guessing.

But for me its time to focus more on the here and now and the problems with the players, brown, etc etc. And not getting relegated again. Ron banged on about the big playing budget but it is not translating to results and this has to be someones fault, scouting, brown, the players, duncan, whatever, this needs addressing.
Yup - was barely if at all mentioned how we've got in this state this season with Ron claiming again we are 'top 3 budget' (also in one breath mentioning we've jettisoned high earners and the next breath claiming we have 1.4m wage bill one of the highest in NL and Lg2).

Skipped round the point Brown had called it 'mid table budget at best'. He did kind of say managers will claim that to make their own failings look lesser - which to me, was a bit of a dig at Brown and reading through the lines of some of the little comments that come out from both Brown and Ron, you wouldnt think its all rosey in the garden.

One point that also was skipped past, is it seems Ron and Brown agreed a signing yesterday. Ron and Tom were at the ground with Brown this morning and my understanding of what Ron said, is they have given Brown another signing (probably Holmes tbf) and said if and when he comes asking again after todays agreement, they'll provide the money again (actually thinking back, I'm sure Ron hinted at 'a couple of signings' but it was late).

But overall yes, no questions really about being as low as 2nd bottom in the NL after clearing out 80% of the last squad and why with a 1.4m budget and signing experienced NL players, we are bottom of the table and also Browns comments of "it may take 20 games" etc. Clearly doesnt think we are going up this season.

Thats the way I see it.

That really grates on me. We're not all that fickle. Many of us have been questioning the stadium and the way he runs the finances of the club for many years, whatever the result. The results just add to the problem and make more people sit up. I think the best way is to continue the protests but support the players.

“I’ve put the money in because I love the club.”

5 minutes later…

“Why would the club go bust if I left? Because the club owes me 20 million and I’d like it back please.”

The man in a nutshell.

I’m not questioning his love of the club, but 15/20 years on we’re still hearing the same stories about the stadium and there is no reason at all for anyone to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
For me that’s no different to all of us. We love someone (the wife) or something (the club) we are prepared to invest. Let’s say we buy a house. Someone else comes in and sweeps my wife off her feet I would then want a return in my investment. Not many would leave the house to the wife and just go.

What is really didn't like was his sugestion that he can blackmail us. ie he walks away and SUFC is bust because he wants his millions back. Comments like this do not help mend the bridges, in fact I think he's made it a lot worse.
Agreed - he has us over a barrel. He's negotiated himself a position where he's pretty much untouchable.

No those comments dont help, but also I think the realisation of our position in that sense means calling for him to go is just a futile exercise. Given that, maybe protesting in other ways OR trying to go the absolute other way and seeing if the supporters groups etc can somehow work WITH Ron to deliver the end goal asap?

What could that be? I dont know... lobbying the council for quicker decisions. Helping reduce the ground maintainence costs etc.

Perhaps working with the situation to resolve it for everyone ASAP may be a new tactic.

He's not going anywhere.

Oh just to clarify people scoffing at the "400k to run maintain roots hall" - that doesnt mean Roots Hall has 400k spent on it every season. Probably has a lot to maintain it, but my understanding is it was 400k to get the safety certificate??

Agreed - he has us over a barrel. He's negotiated himself a position where he's pretty much untouchable.

No those comments dont help, but also I think the realisation of our position in that sense means calling for him to go is just a futile exercise. Given that, maybe protesting in other ways OR trying to go the absolute other way and seeing if the supporters groups etc can somehow work WITH Ron to deliver the end goal asap?

What could that be? I dont know... lobbying the council for quicker decisions. Helping reduce the ground maintainence costs etc.

Perhaps working with the situation to resolve it for everyone ASAP may be a new tactic.

He's not going anywhere.
I don't agree. Blackmailing the supporters of this wonderful club that is steeped in history is totally disrespectful and I wouldn't want to work with anybody with that attitude.

I don’t think Ron was calling Shane an idiot in a way of thinking he is actually stupid I think it was more out of frustration of answer the same question numerous times. Any of us would get fed up if you were constantly being asked the same questions. He was also pretty sincere in his apology to Shane too.

Thats the way I see it.

Its clear he isn't going anywhere, and his intention is still to make the move to fossetts, reclaw the money he has put in over the years (call it profit if you will). Then eventually move on. That plan hasnt changed in 20 years, its just been messed up many many times.

Yes he should be kept accountable as best as possible for the many promises he has reneged on (some out of his control, planning enquiries etc), and that meeting, as tense and crazy as it was at times was definitely needed. He does himself no favours, he could have got tom to give some very provisional estimates on sources of revenue the new stadium will potentially provide which would have partially satiated many fans and not left us guessing.

But for me its time to focus more on the here and now and the problems with the players, brown, etc etc. And not getting relegated again. Ron banged on about the big playing budget but it is not translating to results and this has to be someones fault, scouting, brown, the players, duncan, whatever, this needs addressing.

But we're not. And the fact that we're not even close, and had lost 4 in a row before Tuesday, suggests the decline hasn't been arrested yet.

(Unless of course we've finally turned the corner after Tuesday. I'd love that to be the case, but who really believes that?)

Fair play to Shane for holding his tongue but Ron Martin is not calling me an idiot.

If he loves the club as he claims in that video, he'd sell up.

There's a lot to be said from Tom's facial expressions throughout the meeting.
So say he 'sells up'. How do you see that working - its not a loaded question, I have no idea how financially that works.

First, to 'sell', you need a buyer.

What are you suggesting in a best case scenario then;

1) Ron writes off all the money is is owed and puts the club up for £1 and walks away with... nothing? Probably gets to keep the land for the building?

2) Puts the club up for sale for a 'fair' amount for a National League club in our state. Walks away with a massive loss (on paper?) but keeps the building side?

3) Puts the club up for sale with the intention of recouping his losses thus far (he spoke about £40m+), which nobody is going to pay.

So what do you think - or hope - he'll do realistically. Given the time and money he's put in.

I know we all want him 'out' - but he'll need an exit strategy that suits himself too you have to be realistic about that. So, what or how do you think he goes about it?

Reactions: JD
But we're not. And the fact that we're not even close, and had lost 4 in a row before Tuesday, suggests the decline hasn't been arrested yet.

(Unless of course we've finally turned the corner after Tuesday. I'd love that to be the case, but who really believes that?)
Totally agree, and i'd like the emphasis put on the here and now and the problems we are facing on the pitch

That really grates on me. We're not all that fickle. Many of us have been questioning the stadium and the way he runs the finances of the club for many years, whatever the result. The results just add to the problem and make more people sit up. I think the best way is to continue the protests but support the players.
I agree,

but it is true isnt it. Nowone really complains when the football is great and we are winning...

He's not going anywhere.
This is it. Ousting Ron isn’t an option so what can we change, what can we get Ron to commit to? What assurances can we get from him? We know he does listen and act when it comes to it. Inviting Stan onto the calls, appointing the CEO, sacking managers even. People wanted Powell gone, he acted. Same with Bond and Molesley. Two of those were perhaps rash decisions but it’s what the majority of fans wanted! He does listen.

“Martin out” is a pipe dream. Ron won’t walk unless he’s offered silly money or FF goes through. He wants his investment back and then some. As has been said many times on here (by some) the best chance of getting RM to scram is to get Fossetts built and nobody’s lobbying the council. Just my personal opinion and I’ve said this before but I can’t support just a “Martin out” agenda. Too simplistic.

I do think Ron's full of **** and lacks professionalism at times. But honestly I always watch these and feel like he's spoken more sense than most of our spokespersons who seem to let their passion and beliefs get the best of them and lose sight of bigger-picture context.

Crying out for fans that have a professional business knowledge of the topics on a pre-planned agenda.

Delighted to hear we're going to start logging actions and holding the club to account, because to be honest we've not really learnt anything new since the first Zoom call to this. Been a lot of the same slightly differently dressed vague questions with broad wooly answers.

Couldn't care less about the "I love this ****ing club you idiot" as in my mind it's not a personal attack on the speaker, but a show of passion for the club, a momentary lack of professionalism and he's probably fed up of having to repeat himself endlessly.

When that and hot dogs is the main out take I'd say it's another failed call, and by no means is that a slight on those organising and running as I appreciate the work you do and I'm more than aware Ron's often lying through his teeth so it can be hard to hold your emotions.

Another annoyance, which will hopefully be resolved with the log being brought in. If Ron doesn't answer a question efficiently it seems to be that we kind of brush it under the carpet and move on. That's got to stop if these are going to prove beneficial

Back